Thread: HB 886: Firearms, firearms accessories, and ammunition manufactured and retained in Virginia

Post imported post

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...?101+sum+HB886

Full Text

Firearms, firearms accessories, and ammunition manufactured and retained in Virginia. Declares that firearms, firearms accessories, and ammunition made in Virginia and retained within the borders of Virginia are not subject to federal law or regulation under the authority of Congress to regulate interstate commerce.

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...?101+sum+HB886

Full Text

Firearms, firearms accessories, and ammunition manufactured and retained in Virginia. Declares that firearms, firearms accessories, and ammunition made in Virginia and retained within the borders of Virginia are not subject to federal law or regulation under the authority of Congress to regulate interstate commerce.
    oooooooooooh this one gives me a chubby! Get to buy a suppressor with no tax stamp. Now to find a VA company who makes 'em and put some scratch aside.
    The problem with the internet is nobody can really tell when you’re serious and when you’re being sarcastic. –Abraham Lincoln

Post imported post

Nearly Identical to HB 18??

Still has two big problems!!

Leaves licensing of machine guns to FEDS, even though VA already has its own licensing in place!!!

DOES NOT DEFINE A PENALTY like the NH bill.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Post imported post

Now to find a VA company who makes 'em and put some scratch aside.
    Pretty easy to make your own if you're even minimally mechanically inclined. And if there isn't a domestic maker, any number of folks with a lathe will be opening their own businesses really quickly.

Post imported post

From what I've read, a lathe is not even required. And with all the new fancy aluminum and steel solder products out there, welding is not even really needed any longer.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
    Now to find a VA company who makes 'em and put some scratch aside.
    Pretty easy to make your own if you're even minimally mechanically inclined. And if there isn't a domestic maker, any number of folks with a lathe will be opening their own businesses really quickly.
    It's legal to make your own now. This will allow you to sell them within the state though. Currently you can't transfer them without obtaining an ATF control number. There will be some interesting holes in current Va laws (Llike SBR's 22 cal and under) if this passes.

Post imported post

Since when is it legal to make your own without permission?

Post imported post

Pagan wrote:
    Since when is it legal to make your own without permission?
    It always has been.

Look at the ATF regs under manufactured for personal use.

State law takes no position at all.

I made a dozen AR15's during the AWB. If there are any of the archives on Ar15, you can find pictures of mine and a dozen or so more. I even made a AWB legal AR15 pump pistol on an 80% frame.

Post imported post

Before you ask

From ATF's FAQ

(A6) Does the GCA prohibit anyone from making a handgun, shotgun or rifle? [Back]

With certain exceptions a firearm may be made by a non-licensee provided it is not for sale and the maker is not prohibited from possessing firearms. However, a person is prohibited from assembling a non-sporting semi-automatic rifle or non-sporting shotgun from imported parts. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and approval by ATF. An application to make a machine gun will not be approved unless documentation is submitted showing that the firearm is being made for a Federal or State agency.

[18 U.S.C. 922(o) and (r), 26 U.S.C. 5822, 27 CFR 478.39, 479.62 and 479.105]

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    It always has been.

Look at the ATF regs under manufactured for personal use.

State law takes no position at all.

I made a dozen AR15's during the AWB. If there are any of the archives on Ar15, you can find pictures of mine and a dozen or so more. I even made a AWB legal AR15 pump pistol on an 80% frame.
    I knew you could make your own guns,I have built a few myself,I thought you were talking about supressors.