• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 886: Firearms, firearms accessories, and ammunition manufactured and retained in Virginia

TFred

imported post

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?101+sum+HB886

Full Text

Firearms, firearms accessories, and ammunition manufactured and retained in Virginia. Declares that firearms, firearms accessories, and ammunition made in Virginia and retained within the borders of Virginia are not subject to federal law or regulation under the authority of Congress to regulate interstate commerce.

ChinChin

imported post

TFred wrote:
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?101+sum+HB886

Full Text

Firearms, firearms accessories, and ammunition manufactured and retained in Virginia. Declares that firearms, firearms accessories, and ammunition made in Virginia and retained within the borders of Virginia are not subject to federal law or regulation under the authority of Congress to regulate interstate commerce.

oooooooooooh this one gives me a chubby! Get to buy a suppressor with no tax stamp. Now to find a VA company who makes 'em and put some scratch aside.

simmonsjoe

imported post

Nearly Identical to HB 18??

Still has two big problems!!

Leaves licensing of machine guns to FEDS, even though VA already has its own licensing in place!!!

DOES NOT DEFINE A PENALTY like the NH bill.

zoom6zoom

imported post

Now to find a VA company who makes 'em and put some scratch aside.

Pretty easy to make your own if you're even minimally mechanically inclined. And if there isn't a domestic maker, any number of folks with a lathe will be opening their own businesses really quickly.

Pagan

imported post

From what I've read, a lathe is not even required. And with all the new fancy aluminum and steel solder products out there, welding is not even really needed any longer.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
Now to find a VA company who makes 'em and put some scratch aside.

Pretty easy to make your own if you're even minimally mechanically inclined. And if there isn't a domestic maker, any number of folks with a lathe will be opening their own businesses really quickly.
It's legal to make your own now. This will allow you to sell them within the state though. Currently you can't transfer them without obtaining an ATF control number. There will be some interesting holes in current Va laws (Llike SBR's 22 cal and under) if this passes.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Pagan wrote:
Since when is it legal to make your own without permission?
It always has been.

Look at the ATF regs under manufactured for personal use.

State law takes no position at all.

I made a dozen AR15's during the AWB. If there are any of the archives on Ar15, you can find pictures of mine and a dozen or so more. I even made a AWB legal AR15 pump pistol on an 80% frame.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Before you ask

From ATF's FAQ

(A6) Does the GCA prohibit anyone from making a handgun, shotgun or rifle? [Back]

With certain exceptions a firearm may be made by a non-licensee provided it is not for sale and the maker is not prohibited from possessing firearms. However, a person is prohibited from assembling a non-sporting semi-automatic rifle or non-sporting shotgun from imported parts. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and approval by ATF. An application to make a machine gun will not be approved unless documentation is submitted showing that the firearm is being made for a Federal or State agency.

[18 U.S.C. 922(o) and (r), 26 U.S.C. 5822, 27 CFR 478.39, 479.62 and 479.105]

Pagan

imported post

peter nap wrote:
It always has been.

Look at the ATF regs under manufactured for personal use.

State law takes no position at all.

I made a dozen AR15's during the AWB. If there are any of the archives on Ar15, you can find pictures of mine and a dozen or so more. I even made a AWB legal AR15 pump pistol on an 80% frame.
I knew you could make your own guns,I have built a few myself,I thought you were talking about supressors.