• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kline, anti-gunners unveil AWB legislation SB 6396

Richard6218

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
I wish we could get some LE that would simply tell these idiots they won't enforce it.I have spoken to an officer that said basically the same thing and thinks it's about the dumbest idea yet.These people just have to be forced to stop.Now they want to ban spitting or smoking etc.They are out of control and have no business getting into our lives.We need to let them know in no uncertain terms that we don't answer to them .These people will not dictate what I can and can't do.Who the f..do they think they are.

From Dave Workmans artical today...

Besides spitting and smoking, the newly prohibited behaviors would include going into a restroom for the opposite sex, "sexual misconduct,"
Aw hell, you mean Tom Cruise would be breaking a law by following Kelly McGillis into the ladies' room? That would ruin the whole plot. :lol::lol:

sudden valley gunner

imported post

If it is a one person at a time ladies or men's room, they shouldn't even be labled. I have use the "ladies" room when someone is taking to long in the men's and I really got to go.

It's just another example of a ridiculous laws. Why would this be any misconduct? When is the cut off age, When my kids were young I took my daughter to the men's room to supervise her going to the bathrooom. Many mothers take their young son's to the womens room?

Sounds like a personal pet peave someone is trying to get covered by hitching it onto another bill.

Fat Cobra

imported post

I too live in Kitsap County, I've sent two emails to my Reps. and no response. Also sent emails to all members on the committee for this bill and have received two responses both against the bill.

I sent the following to these individuals:
kline.adam@leg.wa.gov
kohl-welles.jeanne@leg.wa.gov
carrell.michael@leg.wa.gov
hargrove.jim@leg.wa.gov
roach.pam@leg.wa.gov
regala.debbie@leg.wa.gov
tom.rodney@leg.wa.gov
mccaslin.bob@leg.wa.gov
Appleton.Sherry@leg.wa.gov
Rolfes.Christine@leg.wa.gov
Rockefeller.Phil@leg.wa.gov

Dear 23rd District Legislators,

I am writing to express my opposition to SB 6396, "Banning the sale of assault weapons."

Should it become law, this bill is unlikely to prevent any crimes. It would, however, severely impact your law-abiding constituents' exercise of their right to bear arms under both the United States and Washington State Constitutions.
This legislation would turn ten’s of thousands of law-abiding constituents into felons and the notion to just turn over thousands of dollars of personal property to not become a criminal is appalling.
In the simplest layman terms I can articulate, the new Section 2 subsection 2 will prevent me from possessing or having under my control a .22 caliber semiautomatic rifle and a .22 caliber semiautomatic pistol capable of holding more than 10 rounds at the same time. This provision will only impact law abiding gun owners. This bill would potentially make an unwary gun owner into a felon for simply having 11 rounds in a standard capacity magazine. This section reads like the action a criminal might take. It has been proven outlaws don’t care about the law. This simply does not meet the prudent man test. Is this really what the lawmakers intended?

This alone should be sufficient justification to vehemently oppose SB 6396.

The bill's provision for warrant less searches (section (5)(a)), however, is simply breathtaking in its reckless disregard for our traditions of freedom, and hopefully provides you with even firmer grounds for opposition. The very idea of forcing law-abiding citizens to arbitrarily open their homes to State police powers is repugnant and alarming.
This provision that will "ALLOW" me to continue to possess an assault weapon provided I keep it safely and securely stored, however,I must allow the Sheriff to conduct a warrant less search to make sure I am in compliance. The idea that our lawmakers would force law abiding citizens to open their homes for random inspection is very disturbing to me. I should not feel like a criminal in my own home for obeying the law.

This bill also restricts me from hunting or shooting on public land such as the Olympic National Forest. And no I wouldn't be using a 30 rd magazine for hunting I have hunting legal 5 round magazines for just that that purpose.

Nothing in House Bill 6396 will make the actions of the killers of the Seattle Police officer, the Lakewood Police officers or the Pierce County Deputy Sheriff any more criminal than they already were.

Let's just take the example of Maurice Clemmons, killer of the Lakewood officers. As a convicted felon, it was both a state and federal felony for Clemmons to possess a firearm. RCW 9.41.040 and 18 US Code 922(g). As a person free on bond facing a charge of Rape of a Child in the Second Degree, it was a state felony for Clemmons to possess a firearm. RCW 9.41.040(2)(iv). As a person under supervision by the Department of Corrections, it was a violation of that supervision for Clemmons to possess a firearm. RCW 9.41.045.
Laws like this one does nothing to stop or even slow down what criminals do, THEY ARE CRIMINALS! All you are doing is restricting freedoms and liberties from law-abiding citizens while eroding the United States and Washington State Constitutions.

I sincerely I hope that I can count on you to uphold liberty by standing in opposition to this irresponsible bill.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty or safety".
Ben Franklin

These are the two response I received back so far:

The sponsors of this legislation are just a few of the likely suspects in the majority party that introduce bills year in and year out in an effort to erode our constitutional rights. I will of course oppose it.
McCaslin.Bob@leg.wa.gov

Dear David,

Thank you for the email. I completely agree with you and will strongly oppose SB 6396.

Thank you again for your input.

Sincerely,

Pam Roach
Roach.Pam@leg.wa.gov

Kitsap County Reps are:

Appleton.Sherry@leg.wa.gov
Rolfes.Christine@leg.wa.gov
Rockefeller.Phil@leg.wa.gov

Start calling and sending those emails.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

tai4de2 wrote:
I received this reply from my state senator (Eric Oemig, 45th district):

In part, he said:

"You can count on me to protect responsible citizens' right to own and enjoy firearms. I swore to uphold the constitution -- the whole constitution."

I am very pleasantly surprised by his reply (he is a Seattle-area Democrat, so I was not sure what to expect). Clearly the bill's supporters don't even have the support of "their" own peeps.

Doesn't make the bill any less upsetting... but not sure how much a threat it is in real terms.
Just to play "Devil's Advocate" for a moment...

Be leery of catch phraseS that don't really answer the question about whether they are supporting or opposing a bill. Politician 101 teaches them how to say things so those listening will hear what they want, and yet can leave the politician as non-committed.

"You can count on me to protect responsible citizens' right to own and enjoy firearms..."
Is NOT saying "I oppose this bill and will vote against it if it comes to the floor".

Should he vote for it in the future and is called on it, he has the "out" of explaining he believes the restrictions are "reasonable" and that "responsible citizens"- you know those who don't mind suspending the 4th amendment once a year for the Sheriff's inspection have nothing to fear.

I'd prefer a clear and convincing "No, I will not vote for this legislation or anything like it that restricts the rights of citizens."

I am in the process of crafting my letter (I think a variety of letters has more impact than a standardized one sent by many people) and one of the points I plan on addressing is the exemption for LE officers, since every issue weapon in the state would become an assault weapon by the new "definition" of the term.

If the legislators feel that self-defense rights could be served with weapons under the new restrictions, I would like to hear a rational explanation on why Police officers would require an exemption to use their current duty weapons.

Clearly, those types of weapons (you know hi-cap Glocks, S&W M&Ps, H&K USPs, etc) are a better choice for defensive purposes. Whty else would the cops be carrying them?

And IF there is a LE exemption, what happens when a LE gun gets stolen? Will there be some liability to the officer or department? It doesn't happen often, but there are occasionally LE weapons stolen out of vehicles, even when properly secured. If I can face liability for what someone does with a gun of mine, can we expect the same "protection" against from the misuse of guns illicitly obtained from a governmental entity?

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

Fat Cobra wrote:
...These are the two response I received back so far:

The sponsors of this legislation are just a few of the likely suspects in the majority party that introduce bills year in and year out in an effort to erode our constitutional rights. I will of course oppose it.
McCaslin.Bob@leg.wa.gov

Dear David,

Thank you for the email. I completely agree with you and will strongly oppose SB 6396.

Thank you again for your input.

Sincerely,

Pam Roach
Roach.Pam@leg.wa.gov

Now THOSE are the kind of responses I like to see!

Jeff Hayes

imported post

Good points 911boss

A Spokane County Sheriff that I know got his weapon, badge etcremoved from his locked county vehicle parked in his driveway in the middle of the day. He worried about someone using it in a crime quite a lot. As far as I know it has not been recovered.

Nathan9493

imported post

I am writing you regarding the SB 6396. This bill in a simple phrase is morally wrong. I am a LAW ABIDING citizen who recently purchased my first firearm after a FAILED home invasion in Port Orchard. Until recently I saw no good reason to own a firearm, then that happened. This bill would ensure beyond a shadow of a doubt that ONLY criminals would have these firearms, not those who need them for their personal protection. Hundreds, if not thousands of weapons cross our state borders every day with no one to check them. Criminals will simply buy them in other states and bring them here. These types of weapons and no more lethal than none assault type weapons. This bill also clearly violates my 4th amendment rights of warrant less searches of my home.

What happened with the recent officer killings is tragic and I feel deep sorrow for their families. This bill will NOT protect officers in the future. Most police officers DO NOT support this bill. Criminals have NO RESPECT for the laws currently in the books. This law will be NO different. Voting yes will help NO ONE but the Criminals. Please vote against this bill.

Sincerely ,

Nathan Morrison

This is a copy of what I sent to my legislators. I know its not a eloquent as what some of you have sent. But I figure quantity is vital here.I would appreciate your feed back.:cuss:

Nathan9493

imported post

Well here is the response I got tonight. I noticed he did not say how he would vote. Political double talk, or just avoiding it.

You can relax on this one, Nathan. These kinds of gun bills are often filed with the legislature. Since the legislature is focused in this short session on helping our state recover from this severe recession, I do not expect any gun bills to be considered at all.
Very best wishes,
Larry

Rep. Larry Seaquist
26th Legislative District
Oriana Futrell, Legislative Assistant
360.786-7802 Legislative Office, Olympia
seaquist.larry@leg.wa.gov

What do you think?:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Trigger Dr

imported post

Seaquist is the great vacillator, and will not committ to a firm yes or no on anything.

He does follow the Dems almost to the letter of their platform.

Do not count on him.

Nathan9493

imported post

OK, heres the next response I got. I think its good, but I'm not sure he would vote AGAINST this bill.

Nathan-
Thanks for your message. I appreciate you taking the time to write and share your thoughts with me.

As I’ve said from day one, I don’t see a compelling reason for more gun laws or for actions that will restrict the liberties of law abiding citizens. I think we should better enforce and prosecute the current laws.

Please know that -- as a legislator and as a father of two little girls -- I'm committed to public safety. In this legislative session, we'll be pursuing a number of measures brought forward from the law enforcement community to promote public safety -- in particular, changes to bail and sentencing laws so we can catch and convict more criminals. To me, that's where we should focus our efforts -- not on proposals that limit the rights of responsible gun owners.

Again, I am grateful for your note. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Best,
Derek Kilmer

P.S. I send out an email update every few weeks to keep people informed regarding events in the Legislature. Please respond to this email if you are interested in receiving it.

Olympia Office:
Derek Kilmer
State Senator - 26th District
P.O. Box 40426
Olympia, WA 98504
(360) 786 - 7650

http://sdc.leg.wa.gov/kilmer.htm

tai4de2

imported post

911Boss wrote:
Be leery of catch phraseS that don't really answer the question about whether they are supporting or opposing a bill. Politician 101 teaches them how to say things so those listening will hear what they want, and yet can leave the politician as non-committed.

"You can count on me to protect responsible citizens' right to own and enjoy firearms..."
Is NOT saying "I oppose this bill and will vote against it if it comes to the floor".

Should he vote for it in the future and is called on it, he has the "out" of explaining he believes the restrictions are "reasonable" and that "responsible citizens"- you know those who don't mind suspending the 4th amendment once a year for the Sheriff's inspection have nothing to fear.

I'd prefer a clear and convincing "No, I will not vote for this legislation or anything like it that restricts the rights of citizens.
Of course -- I don't think anyone here needs to be reminded about politicians and their communication practices.

I didn't quote his whole reply. He also wrote:

"I don't expect the legislation to pass. But every year we can expect bills like this to be introduced."

I'll be watching his vote if this thing makes it out of committee.

gabelb

imported post

Hi, I just joined today because i just heard about this atrocity. I am 22 and have been legally carrying my pistol since i have been 21. I think we should all get our friends and their friends to protest this weekend Jan 23rd 24th and any other day we can possibly make it. I wrote my senators and want a visual statement to be reinforcement to our words, beliefs, and rights!

Nebulis01

imported post

Reporting in from Legislative District 44,

I sent the following letter and have received replies from all 3 of my representatives.

Dear 44th District Legislators,

I am writing to express my opposition to SB 6396, "Banning the sale of assault weapons."

Should it become law, this bill is unlikely to prevent any crimes. It would, however, severely impact your law-abiding constituents' exercise of their right to bear arms under both the United States and Washington State Constitutions.

This alone should be sufficient justification to vehemently oppose SB 6396.

The bill's provision for warrantless searches (section (5)(a)), however, is simply breathtaking in its reckless disregard for our traditions of freedom, and hopefully provides you with even firmer grounds for opposition. The very idea of forcing law-abiding citizens to arbitrarily open their homes to State police powers is repugnant and alarming.

I sincerely I hope that I can count on you uphold liberty by standing in opposition to this irresponsible bill.

Sincerely,

----------------------------------

From Sen. Steve Hobbs,

I am a strong proponent of our 2nd Amendment rights, and do not support any legislation of this kind. I fully support a person's right to bare arms. Your comments are the kind I love to hear. Thank you so much for taking the time to contact my office, and please continue to do so should you have any questions or comments throughout session.

Best,

Steve

-----------------------------------

From Rep. Mike Hope,

Thank you for writing. I will not be supporting this bill.

Thanks,
Mike

-----------------------------------

From Rep. Hans Dunshee,

I very much doubt any "assault rifle" legislation will come to a vote. If it does, I would very much doubt I would vote for it. I haven't read the bill so I don't want to make promises until I read it but generally these laws regarding "hardware" don't much effect safety.

Our society is more violent that many others, especially for such a relatively rich society. Having a violent society is the problem and until we change our culture we will not reduce violence.

Sincerely,
Hans

Rep. Hans Dunshee

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

It's nice that Senator Hobbs supports a person's right to "bare arms." We can all sleep soundly at night knowing we can wear short sleeves!:shock:

I hope he also supports the right to "bear arms" as protected by the constitution.

Isn't it interesting, too, that they all speak to the second amendment instead of Article 1 Section 24 of the Washington Constitution. Interesing, since their oath is to uphold the state constitution.

Charles

PS -- I really hope an aide wrote that email, and not the senator.

Nathan9493

imported post

AND NOW.... Another non answer answer...
Nathan, I will be watching this bill with interest as I have always supported our second amendment rights and will continue to do so. I will be watching to see if this bill even makes it out of committee. Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it!

Jan Angel
State Representative
Legislative District #26

PO Box 40600 Legislative District #26
420 John L O'Brien Building
Olympia, WA 98504-0600

Phone: 360-786-7964
angel.jan@leg.wa.gov
:uhoh:

ddprice

imported post

I have a thought. If what we are hearing is correct..ie unlikely to make it out of committee etc. What about taking action against the sponsors of the bill. Make a specific effort to not have them elected again. The fact that such a bill would even be put on the table should be grounds to pursue removing them from office.

Also---for those of you that may be on facebook, feel free to join our discussion there.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=253200574215