• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Calling all VA CHP holders--Support MD HB-52!

Dreamer

imported post

Delegate Mike Smigiel (representing the Eastern Counties of MD) has proposed a bill this session in the MD Legislature that would give reciprocity to people who hold valid carry permits in DE, PA, VA and WV for carry in the state of MD.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum28/35640-3.html

I STRONGLY suggest that anyone in VA who travels to MD contact Del. Smigiel's office and voice your support. If you are good at letter writing, please consider sending him a letter in support of this bill.

http://www.mikesmigiel.com/pages/contact.htm

And if you are good at public speaking, consider volunteering to speak before the MD Legislature in support of this bill. The next hearing will be on Jan 26, and you can find more info on Del. Smigiel's website. (I will be making the drive from NC!)

http://delegatemike.com/

Come on folks, it's time to MOBILIZE!!! Let's show the folks in Annapolis that the People REALLY want this bill to become law. Let's show them that the People still have the will and the motivation to voice our opinions in the public forum, and to "bring the fight" to THEM!

Let's show them that we believe Self Defense is still a HUMAN RIGHT, even in MD...

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

Already done. Here's what I sent:

Delegate Smigiel,

My name is JohnXxxxxx and my wife and I live on Virginia's Eastern Shore.We wereborn and raised in Southern Maryland, and lived there until I retired from the Federal Government in 2002. My Wife and I have a Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP)and carry a handgun for self protection.

Because the Eastern Shore is mostly rural area, if I or my wifewant to go shopping at the mall or go to a specialty store that is not in thearea we need to go across the Chesapeake Bay or into Maryland. While Maryland is closer toour residenceI prefer to travel across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel to Va. Beach or Norfolk to shop so I do not have to give upmy right to keep and bear arms for self defense.

We also havechildren, grandchildren and other familythat still live in Southern Md. and if we visit them we have to give up the right to arm our self'swhile traveling to and from their house. If we go to visit family in PA we are required to stop at the MD/VA line, unload our handgunsand place them in the trunk. Then once we reach PA we stop reload and place our handguns inour holster to continue our trip as our VA CHP is valid in PA. The more a handgun is handled loading and unloading the more chance an accidental or negligent discharge may occur.

The Supreme Court of the United States has ruled that the Second Amendment to the Constitutionguarantees an individuals right to keep and bear arms. The recognition of our VA CHP by the Great State of Maryland would make life a lot easier and safer for all involved and go a long way in getting more VA residents to visit and shop in MD.

Rev. John Xxxxxx
XXXXXXxxxXxxx Rd.
Xxxxxxx, VA XXXXX
757 xxx-xxxx

kennys

imported post

NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
Being born and raised in Maryland, and traveling back to the state often... I support this with everything I have. I hate leaving my sidearm at home because I cant carry up there...
+1 Waldorf Native here.

alnitak

imported post

+1, Baltimore native here.

I hate the fact that in traveling around the Washington beltway I go from lawful CHP holder to felon and back again. For the tri-state/city area it is ridiculous that we don't have reciprocity.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

kennys wrote:
NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
Being born and raised in Maryland, and traveling back to the state often... I support this with everything I have. I hate leaving my sidearm at home because I cant carry up there...
+1 Waldorf Native here.
Hey Kenny I lived in Brandywine/Baden area for almost 30 years.:lol:

kennys

imported post

Wolf_shadow wrote:
kennys wrote:
NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
+1 Waldorf Native here.
Nice to meet you, I lived in Forestville until about 2nd grade, than Waldorftill about 18, even lived a couple years in Clinton. All I can say however is Maryland is not like it used to be as a kid. I am glad to be a resident of Va. I as well sent in my letter.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

kennys wrote:
Wolf_shadow wrote:
kennys wrote:
NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
+1 Waldorf Native here.
Nice to meet you, I lived in Forestville until about 2nd grade, than Waldorftill about 18, even lived a couple years in Clinton. All I can say however is Maryland is not like it used to be as a kid. I am glad to be a resident of Va. I as well sent in my letter.
+1 I lived in Hillside/Capitol Hgts untill I was 19, then moved to Brandywine in 74.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

----------------------------------------------------------------------
VCDL's meeting schedule: http://www.vcdl.org/meetings.html
Abbreviations used in VA-ALERT: http://www.vcdl.org/help/abbr.html

Be still my beating heart!

A bill has been introduced in Maryland to recognize Virginia,
Delaware, and Pennsylvania concealed handgun permits!

It may be an uphill battle, but that's never stopped us before. ;-)

Let's all email the committee that is going to be hearing that bill
(it is scheduled to be heard on January 26th).

To send an email to the committee, click here:

http://tinyurl.com/ybtx97l

Fill in your name, your email address, and select all of the names of
the Delegates in the email list by clicking on the first name,
scrolling down and, while holding your shift key down, clicking on the
last name in the list.

For the email subject line put: Support HB 52!

Suggested email message:

Please support HB 52!

As a Virginia concealed handgun permit holder, I would definitely
visit Maryland more often and stay longer if Maryland would recognize
my permit. Being able to protect myself and my family is very
important to me.

--

Let's roll, guys and gals!

Ric in Richmond

imported post

Raised K through college grad in Severna Park MD. Here is what I sent:

I read with great excitement that HB 52 had been submitted that would establish recognition of concealed carry permits from Virginia.

I grew up at ******** in Severna Park MD all the way through high school. Since that time all my parents and family have moved to Virginia.

I would like to go back to Maryland to visit, but the gestapo like tactics of Maryland, with respect to my practice of the DAILY LEGAL CONCEALED CARRY of a handgun, has kept me from doing so. In fact I have gone out of my way to abide with MD law regarding carrying weapons and have avoided the state almost entirely for about the last 5 years with one exception to pick up a sailboat in Annapolis 3 years ago.

If MD passed reciprocity with VA I would take my family to Ocean City since that is what I remember when I was a kid, instead of the outer banks of NC. We would visit Annapolis and St Michael's and Baltimore. All places that I grew up loving and visiting.

But until that happens I am unwilling to travel unarmed and place me and my families lives in danger to the common criminal.

Please support reciprocity of Virginia Permits and I promise to come spend some tourism dollars in MD.

Ric
Richmond VA

Seriously...I have avoided MD like the plague since I started carrying daily. I'd visit in a heartbeat if I didn't think my gun would result in a visit to the pokey.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I used the VCDL link to the committee as listed above. It is very easy to use, and you can send a nice pithy email to the entire committee that way. Please do this. Even if it tanks, a good showing from us sends an interesting message to the anti-rights people up there.

9MM Owner

imported post

I'm wondering what would happen if states that currently recognize MD permit holders would stop if MD refused to recognize theirs? It should be a 2 way street.

zoom6zoom

imported post

9MM Owner wrote:
I'm wondering what would happen if states that currently recognize MD permit holders would stop if MD refused to recognize theirs? It should be a 2 way street.
Maryland doesn't have reciprocity or honor any other state's permits now.

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

All,

I just sent my letter to all of the Delegates via email. I did not stick to the suggested email, but, the one I sent was a very respectful one of events that happened to me while visiting a state (like MD) that does not recognize my Virginia concealed handgun permit. I hope all of them reads it and responds back. If they do, I will let you all know.

The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1791!!:X

kennys

imported post

Hopefuly if it was to pass they would not require permit holders of the other states to have to register their guns first.:banghead:Maryland has been known for some off the wall things..

SAvage410

imported post

Letter sent via e-mail:

Please support this bill! I am a resident of Virginia and have a Virginia-issued CHP. I am free to travel anywhere within the state while carrying a sidearm in order to protect myself and my family, yet the State of Maryland believes that I should be unable to do so once I cross the Potomac.

I am a native of Maryland, in fact, having been born in Baltimore City at what was then South Baltimore General Hospital (now Harbor View Nursing Home) on Light Street. In fact, most of my late father's side of the family still resides in and around Baltimore. Yet in order to visit them, I must give up my Constitutional right to keep and bear arms. This flies in the face of common sense, as well as your own state Constitution which, in article 2 of the declaration of rights states:

"The Constitution of the United States, and the Laws made, or which shall be made, in pursuance thereof, and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, are, and shall be the Supreme Law of the State; and the Judges of this State, and all the People of this State, are, and shall be bound thereby; anything in the Constitution or Law of this State to the contrary notwithstanding."

Given that Maryland's Constitution explicitly defers to the US Constitution, which document explicitly recognizes an individual's right to keep AND BEAR arms, I again urge you to grant reciprocity to Virginia's CHP holders at a minimum, and further, to reconsider your stance on firearm prohibitions overall.

2a4all

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
I used the VCDL link to the committee as listed above. It is very easy to use, and you can send a nice pithy email to the entire committee that way. Please do this. Even if it tanks, a good showing from us sends an interesting message to the anti-rights people up there.
As did I, and I received ths reply:

Thank you for contacting my office regarding HB 52. I am a co-signer of this bill and have been a longtime supporter of Gun Rights in Maryland. I will continue to support this, and all other pro 2nd Amendment legislation as long as I am elected to serve in my office.

Please consider coming to Annapolis to testify your support, as this is crucial to the success of any bill. You can contact Del. Smigiel for information on when HB 52 will be heard in Committee. (410-841-3555)

Thanks again for contacting me, please do not hesitate to do so again.

Constitutionally Yours,

Don H. Dwyer, Jr.

Delegate

District 31, Anne Arundel County

House Judiciary Committee

410-841-3047

kennys

imported post

2a4all wrote:
Dutch Uncle wrote:
As did I, and I received ths reply:

Thank you for contacting my office regarding HB 52. I am a co-signer of this bill and have been a longtime supporter of Gun Rights in Maryland. I will continue to support this, and all other pro 2nd Amendment legislation as long as I am elected to serve in my office.

Please consider coming to Annapolis to testify your support, as this is crucial to the success of any bill. You can contact Del. Smigiel for information on when HB 52 will be heard in Committee. (410-841-3555)

Thanks again for contacting me, please do not hesitate to do so again.

Constitutionally Yours,

Don H. Dwyer, Jr.

Delegate

District 31, Anne Arundel County

House Judiciary Committee

410-841-3047
They didn't send me one.