• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 1214: Possession of firearm on public school property; penalty

TFred

imported post

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?101+sum+HB1214

Full Text

Possession of firearm on public school property; penalty. Prohibits a person from possessing an unloaded firearm that is in a closed container in or upon a motor vehicle located at a public elementary, middle, or high school or an unloaded shotgun or rifle in a firearms rack in or upon a motor vehicle located at a public elementary, middle, or high school.

Crazy. Needs to be strongly opposed.

45acpForMe

imported post

So if this bill prohibits you from having an unloaded locked firearm on school property doesn't that mean you need to have it unlocked and loaded? :)

Unlock & Load - Legaleze makes me dizzy.

nova

imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
So if this bill prohibits you from having an unloaded locked firearm on school property doesn't that mean you need to have it unlocked and loaded? :)

Unlock & Load - Legaleze makes me dizzy.
Not if having a loaded firearm on school property (with exceptions) is already illegal. Looks like this bill just fills in and makes illegal what was left legal under federal law for non-permit-holders.

eta: this is a bad bill. We need to be moving in the opposite direction.

youngck

imported post

Newport News Daily Press story today: "Man charged with shooting in public."

"Newport News - Darnell G. Benjamin Jr., of North Chalice Court, was charged with several counts after shooting his gun on De Laura Drive in Denbigh on Jan. 9.

Police said they heard the gunshots, then saw Benjamin's car speeding around a corner with its lights off. They pulled the car over, noticing the odor of alcohol coming from the car Benjamin was driving with a passenger.

Benjamin "explained that he just fired off a few rounds," said Officer Harold Eley. "He just wanted to fire his weapon. At that point, he was arrested."

Benjamin was charged with shooting in public, shooting within 1,000 feet of a school, shooting from a vehicle and carrying a concealed weapon."

I suspect the article may be inaccurate in stating Mr. Benjamin was charged with shooting in public and shooting within 1,000 feet of a school.

I hope the accurate charges were unlawful possession within 1,000 feet of a school and discharge of a firearm in the city in violation of Sec 43-9 of the City of Newport News Code of Ordinances.

The police may have missed the charge of concealed carry in a place where alcohol was being served, but I doubt Mr. Benjamin's vehicle was licensed for that purpose.

wylde007

imported post

And how, exactly, does making it only lawful to have an unloaded rifle or shotgun in a firearms rack on private or religious school property protect anyone?

For years it has been perfectly legal for any student (or other) to have an unloaded rifle or shotgun in a firearms rack on school property. What is this bill in response to? The preponderance of recent school shootings in parking lots where students had unloaded rifles and shotguns in firearms racks?:?

This bill is super-asinine.