Thread: HB 1191: Issuance of concealed handgun permits; clerk of court

Post imported post

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...101+sum+HB1191

Full Text

Issuance of concealed handgun permits; clerk of court. Allows a circuit court judge to authorize the clerk of court to issue concealed handgun permits in instances where the application is complete, the background check does not indicate that the applicant is disqualified, and, after consulting with the local sheriff or police department, there are no other questions or issues surrounding the application.

Interesting idea. Should make it easier to get them out on time in the busier jurisdictions. I'm sure the liberals will cry about this one.

TFred

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...101+sum+HB1191

Full Text

Issuance of concealed handgun permits; clerk of court. Allows a circuit court judge to authorize the clerk of court to issue concealed handgun permits in instances where the application is complete, the background check does not indicate that the applicant is disqualified, and, after consulting with the local sheriff or police department, there are no other questions or issues surrounding the application.

Interesting idea. Should make it easier to get them out on time in the busier jurisdictions. I'm sure the liberals will cry about this one.

TFred
    I don't see a problem as long as they don't try to eliminate the 45 day temp permit provision from the statute.

Post imported post

Seems to me that this law would reinforce the idea that "shall issue", once it is factually determined that you are not a criminal, is more of a clerical action, than a decision to be made by a judge.

The pass/fail nature of a background check should be a fairly objective fact, rather than something requiring a great amount of contemplation.

?

TFred