• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 1049: Mandatory self-identification

Thundar

imported post

Does anybody really think that the police will articulate their RAS?

More likely:

"You are being detained for suspicion of a crime that has occurred, is occurring or will soon happen. Please state your name, address and social security number to me. Failure to identify yourself is a class 1 misdemeanor for which I will arrest you."

Repeater

imported post

Thundar wrote:

More likely:

"You are being detained for suspicion of a crime that has occurred, is occurring or will soon happen. Please state your name, address and social security number to me. Failure to identify yourself is a class 1 misdemeanor for which I will arrest you."
Cop: We received a call about a man with a gun. That's a school over there. Are you aware you are within 1000 feet of a school?

OC: I thought open-carry was legal in Virginia.

Cop: Please show me some identification.

OC: I don't carry my Driver's License with me when I open-carry.

Cop: Show me your ID.

OC: No.

Cop: Give me your ID now!

OC: Am I free to leave?

Cop: No! Show me your ID now or I will place you under arrest.

OC: Well, issue me a summons.

Cop: No ID, no summons. Put your hand behind your back.

See, makes it easier than ever to wage war on gun owners.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Repeater wrote:
Thundar wrote:

More likely:

SNIP Cop: We received a call about a man with a gun. That's a school over there. Are you aware you are within 1000 feet of a school?

Good point. The only thing I might suggest as a change is thatKolender v Lawson has something to say about ID documents.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

user wrote:
Another new and different twist on pre-existing common law. Cops and deputies in Virginia have "the powers of a constable at common law". That includes the power, but only at night time, to stop and question any person, who shall be required to state his full name and the address where he customarily resides...

Would not such a "common law" be over-ruled, in a manner of speaking, by the 4th Amendment (1791) and subsequent court rulings like Terry v Ohio and later state appellate court rulings that citethose cases as precedent in arriving at theirown holdings? Specifically, the parts about cops needing RAS and reasonable inferences based on their exerience as cops. Very little of that stuff ever mentions anything about "night time", except in the context of one circumstance that can contribute to RAS, as opposed to supplying RAS entirely--as far as I can recall, anyway, and from what decisions I have read (meaning I've not read all decisions).

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I wonder who is actually behind this bill?

It can't be your average cops; too many of them already demand identity without legal authority. It would never occur to them to get a law passed giving them authority--they already think they got it.

How does one go about finding out the "identity" of the little amorphous glob of rock-hidden slime who prompted the submission of this bill?

(Just let somebody refuse to releasesuch identity. Imagine the enraging irony of such refusal to identify: the rest of us have to identify ourselves; but the clown who prompted the bill's submission does not.)

Repeater

imported post

Citizen wrote:

It can't be your average cops; too many of them already demand identity without legal authority. It would never occur to them to get a law passed giving them authority--they already think they got it.

How does one go about finding out the "identity" of the little amorphous glob of rock-hidden slime who prompted the submission of this bill?

(Just let somebody refuse to releasesuch identity. Imagine the enraging irony of such refusal to identify: the rest of us have to identify ourselves; but the clown who prompted the bill's submission does not.)
Scott Garrett on the issues:

2nd Amendment
Scott supports the fight of Virginians to keep and bear arms as affirmed in the 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. He will fight to protect Virginia's sportsmen and gun owners.
Those who voted for Garrett over Valentine probably didn't bargain for bills like HB 1049.

TFred

imported post

Citizen wrote:

I suppose you could ask the sponsoring member, but I don't know that there is any requirement for him to tell you.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?101+mbr+H217

TFred

Tomahawk

imported post

Repeater wrote:
Cop: We received a call about a man with a gun. That's a school over there. Are you aware you are within 1000 feet of a school?

Cop: Please show me some identification.

OC: I don't carry my Driver's License with me when I open-carry.

Cop: Show me your ID.

OC: No.

Cop: Give me your ID now!

OC: Am I free to leave?

Cop: No! Show me your ID now or I will place you under arrest.

OC: Well, issue me a summons.

Cop: No ID, no summons. Put your hand behind your back.

See, makes it easier than ever to wage war on gun owners.
So telling him your name orally because you have no paper ID would not satisfy the law?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Repeater wrote:
SNIP Cop: We received a call about a man with a gun. That's a school over there. Are you aware you are within 1000 feet of a school?
So telling him your name orally because you have no paper ID would not satisfy the law?
This is the crux of Kolender vs Lawson.What satisfies the statute? Fortunately, Kolender was more helpful than hurtful on this point.

You can check out the syllabus (summary) here: http://supreme.justia.com/us/461/352/case.html

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Citizen wrote:
user wrote:
Another new and different twist on pre-existing common law.  Cops and deputies in Virginia have "the powers of a constable at common law".  That includes the power, but only at night time, to stop and question any person, who shall be required to state his full name and the address where he customarily resides... 

Would not such a "common law" be over-ruled, in a manner of speaking, by the 4th Amendment (1791) and subsequent court rulings like Terry v Ohio and later state appellate court rulings that cite those cases as precedent in arriving at their own holdings?  Specifically, the parts about cops needing RAS and reasonable inferences based on their exerience as cops.  Very little of that stuff ever mentions anything about "night time", except in the context of one circumstance that can contribute to RAS, as opposed to supplying RAS entirely--as far as I can recall, anyway, and from what decisions I have read (meaning I've not read all decisions).
I would think so...

Hiibel wrote:
Stop and identify statutes have their roots in early English vagrancy laws that required suspected vagrants to face arrest unless they gave “a good Account of themselves,” a power that itself reflected common-law rights of private persons to “arrest any suspicious night-walker, and detain him till he give a good account of himself … .” In recent decades, the Court has found constitutional infirmity in traditional vagrancy laws. In Papachristou v. Jacksonville, 405 U.S. 156 (1972), the Court held that a traditional vagrancy law was void for vagueness. Its broad scope and imprecise terms denied proper notice to potential offenders and permitted police officers to exercise unfettered discretion in the enforcement of the law.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

marshaul wrote:
Citizen wrote:
user wrote:
Another new and different twist on pre-existing common law. Cops and deputies in Virginia have "the powers of a constable at common law". That includes the power, but only at night time, to stop and question any person, who shall be required to state his full name and the address where he customarily resides...

Would not such a "common law" be over-ruled, in a manner of speaking, by the 4th Amendment (1791) and subsequent court rulings like Terry v Ohio and later state appellate court rulings that citethose cases as precedent in arriving at theirown holdings? Specifically, the parts about cops needing RAS and reasonable inferences based on their exerience as cops. Very little of that stuff ever mentions anything about "night time", except in the context of one circumstance that can contribute to RAS, as opposed to supplying RAS entirely--as far as I can recall, anyway, and from what decisions I have read (meaning I've not read all decisions).
I would think so...

Hiibel wrote:
Stop and identify statutes have their roots in early English vagrancy laws that required suspected vagrants to face arrest unless they gave “a good Account of themselves,” a power that itself reflected common-law rights of private persons to “arrest any suspicious night-walker, and detain him till he give a good account of himself … .” In recent decades, the Court has found constitutional infirmity in traditional vagrancy laws. In Papachristou v. Jacksonville, 405 U.S. 156 (1972), the Court held that a traditional vagrancy law was void for vagueness. Its broad scope and imprecise terms denied proper notice to potential offenders and permitted police officers to exercise unfettered discretion in the enforcement of the law.
Ahhhhhh! Thank you.