• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holsters in Courthouses

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Thanks, Tess, for staying on top of this and getting them to admitt that what they are doing is not necessary.

However, bringing this thread (which I had quite forgotten about) back to life has made me a little annoyed. I am still a bit mad that they made me give up my keychain when I entered. The little piece of brass and lead I had with me clearly did not in any way meet the definition of a weapon or ammunition that is cited above, and, if the security people were properly trained, it would have taken all of 2 seconds to see that. Instead, they took several extra minutes with me so that they could remove the dumby round from the rest of my keys and then tag my property.

This is yet another example of government inefficiency at work.

Agreed. If something like this were to happen again, just step out of line and ask them to call a representative from the Sheriff's office. The contract security guards will simply do as they (think they are) told. A deputy will usually clear it up immediately.

Last edited:

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
However, bringing this thread (which I had quite forgotten about) back to life has made me a little annoyed. I am still a bit mad that they made me give up my keychain when I entered. The little piece of brass and lead I had with me clearly did not in any way meet the definition of a weapon or ammunition that is cited above, and, if the security people were properly trained, it would have taken all of 2 seconds to see that. Instead, they took several extra minutes with me so that they could remove the dumby round from the rest of my keys and then tag my property.

This is yet another example of government inefficiency at work.

Having spent a fair amount of time working in jails and courthouses, I can say with absolute certainty that your assessment of their security procedures is dead wrong and they had every right to take your dummy round/key chain.

I don't mean this to be rude, but what you think that you know about their job and whether or not they were properly trained, well....you don't know. As a former court supervisor, I would have expected my people to confiscate that item as well.

scouser

From http://www.citmedialaw.org/legal-guide/virginia-recording-law

Virginia Law on Recording Court Hearings and Public Meetings

Court Hearings

Recording is allowed in Virginia state courtrooms at the sole discretion of the presiding judge. It is, however, flatly prohibited in certain types of sensitive cases (e.g., those involving juveniles or sexual offenses; however, a juvenile who is tried as an adult is excluded from the prohibition on recording. See Novak v. Commonwealth, 20 Va. App. 373, 390-91 (1995)). Only two television cameras and one still photographer are allowed in a courtroom at any given time. For a complete list of the statutory guidelines, see Va. Code 19.2-266.

Federal courts in Virginia, at both the trial and appellate level, prohibit recording devices and cameras in the courtroom.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
From http://www.citmedialaw.org/legal-guide/virginia-recording-law

Virginia Law on Recording Court Hearings and Public Meetings

Court Hearings

Recording is allowed in Virginia state courtrooms at the sole discretion of the presiding judge. It is, however, flatly prohibited in certain types of sensitive cases (e.g., those involving juveniles or sexual offenses; however, a juvenile who is tried as an adult is excluded from the prohibition on recording. See Novak v. Commonwealth, 20 Va. App. 373, 390-91 (1995)). Only two television cameras and one still photographer are allowed in a courtroom at any given time. For a complete list of the statutory guidelines, see Va. Code 19.2-266.

Federal courts in Virginia, at both the trial and appellate level, prohibit recording devices and cameras in the courtroom.

You said it and there isn't one Va judge in 1000 that will allow it in anything but extraordinary cases. It is routine however, for court reporters and for a price, the recording can be had.

Try sneaking the camera or recorder in without permission and see how the contempt laws work.

Last edited:

scouser

yeah Peter, when I went to apply for my CHP in Henrico I wasn't even allowed to have my cellphone on my person without it being sealed in an envelope, that I had to show as still being sealed when I left the building, and I wasn't even going into an actual courtroom. Maybe there are people here who would protest at that being an infringement of their rights but, from my point of view, I was the one who wanted to go in the building, they didn't need me to be there and anyone who needed to call me could always talk to my voicemail

DontTreadOnMeVa

I went to the court house in Chesapeake one day;

I had to leave my cell phone in the car
I had to take my belt off
Blah Blah Blah...

Security seamed more pissy than I had seen them before.

I had to laugh when I later remembered my voice recorder was in my shirt pocket.

Most security is theater.

Ric in Richmond

A month or so ago I went to the Yorktown Juvenile court for the resolution of my sons labor day speeding ticket from last summer.

I have to say they are some of the nicest people around.

I stepped up and she held out the little basket. I dropped a single key and my drivers license in it....She smiled and asked if that was all and I said that is it. I knew where I was going and knew not to bring anything. She said she wished more people would do that.

Ticket worked out well too!!

The juvi judge in a Yorktown is a class act!!!