• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 2507: Relating to the discharging of firearms within a certain distance of a dwelling house

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

If I read that correctly, it means I can't shoot within five hundred feet of my own house. It does say "any dwelling house". I ought to be able to decide whether I want to go out in my yard and shoot if I want to (given that the bullet would drop to the ground well before it gets within range of my nearest neighbor, and that it won't do that because it'll hit a tree, first).

Dreamer

imported post

Wow... When I was a kid, we used to set up our bench on the front porch of our farm house, and shoot at targets set up agains the hillside in the side yard. We'd sight in our deer rifles and plink with my Ithica 22 rifle off the front porch. Sometimes we'd shoot clays from the front yard, out over the bottom field.

I guess that would be illegal under this new law...

Requiring people to get a permit to exercise their 2A rights on their OWN PROPERTY is a VERY dangerous (and arguably unconstitutional) law...

Who proposed this law, the Martinsburg City Council?

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

The bill would have made the law less restrictive, but way too bureaucratic. However, it did not pass. We prefer a bill such as 2008 SB 677, which would create a simpler solution.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I assume I should be looking at the "comittee substitute". It wouldstill illegal to shoot on your own property within five hundred feet of someone else's house, even if you have their permission and are shooting away from their house onto your own property. I could live with that, I reckon. At least this way the wife and kids can kill dangerous soda cans in the yard with the .22 revolver without having to go to jail for it.

Btw, it's already a federal felony to be in possession of any kind of firearms within one thousand feet of a school (with exceptions and exclusions, of course).