• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia gun rights group to lobby Richmond on Martin Luther King day

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Please SUBSCRIBE to the column at http://www.examiner.com/x-2782-DC-Gun-Rights-Examiner

and

DIGG & REDDIT this article at http://www.examiner.com/x-2782-DC-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m1d14-Virginia-gun-rights-group-to-lobby-Richmond-on-Martin-Luther-King-day

SNIP
For years the Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) has been rallying members to attend its annual Lobby Day at the Virginia General Assembly on Martin Luther King Day. In one respect this year is no different in that the League's Lobby Day is scheduled to start at 9AM on Monday, January 18, 2010 (Martin Luther King day). But in another respect 2010 is different - following impressive victories by pro-gun candidates for the House of Delegates, Governor, Lieutenant Governor, and Attorney General, VCDL's 2010 VCDL Lobby Day theme is "Transforming Gun Rights in Virginia." And the group is expecting results. . . .

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I wish people would stop talking about "gun rights". That places the battle on the enemy's chosen field.

Let's start talking about our right to defend ourselves, our homes, and our families against violent crime.

wylde007

imported post

user wrote:
Let's start talking about our right to defend ourselves, our homes, and our families against violent crime.
Or what the 2nd was REALLY intended for... to defend the same against a tyrannical government.

VA should be the front lines of that battle, just as she was in 1774 and in 1861.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

user wrote:
I wish people would stop talking about "gun rights". That places the battle on the enemy's chosen field.

The term "gun rights" is short hand for what you are saying long hand - the big picture is that by using the term "rights" we have slowly made the field of discourse friendly to us, see polls- and after all that's wht we are saying - that gun rights are fundemental rights - the "right to defend ourselves" animates the discussion, but that right s not clearly a constituional right, at least according to the heller minority and the 7th Cir. panel ruling o the consolidated Chicago cases.

Thundar

imported post

"Gun Rights" is better than "Gun Control".

Casting Gun rights in a wider Constitutional Guarantees net than the 2A is even more beneficial.

Personal Property, Limits of Govt, Free from unreasonable search, etc.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

You know, the Japanese government elected not to invade the United States militarily, on the assumption that the Americans were all gun-totin' cowboys.

I wonder how they'd do in California now?

National security requires Americans to have guns.

fully_armed_biker

imported post

user wrote:
You know, the Japanese government elected not to invade the United States militarily, on the assumption that the Americans were all gun-totin' cowboys.

That same logic kept Hitler out of Switzerland. Since its inception in 1921, Switzerland has relied on an armed populace for its defense..and still does, sowe're talking about right now...in modern times! So much for the "Antiquated Relic" argument of the anti's...an armed populace IS the last line of defense!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

fully_armed_biker wrote:
user wrote:

That same logic kept Hitler out of Switzerland. Since its inception in 1921, Switzerland has relied on an armed populace for its defense..and still does, sowe're talking about right now...in modern times! So much for the "Antiquated Relic" argument of the anti's...an armed populace IS the last line of defense!
Frequently, I'd say they are the 1st line of defense. :)

Yata hey