• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Here And Have A Question

outlander1989

imported post

I just turned 21 about a week ago, andalready went out and bought a Glock 19. I have a question about having it with me when I work, I make deliveries and I've been keeping my handgun in my glovebox, and whenever I go somewhere I feel uncomfortable I Open Carry it with me. Someone called my boss and complainedI guess,and he told me not tocarry it anymore butI can keep it in my glovebox.And ifIdid carry it again, Icould lose my job over it. I've been trying to find out if there is anything I can do about it or not?

langzaiguy

imported post

Nope, don't think so. I believe KRS says that you are allowed to have it in your vehicle when you're at work. You could get your CDWL and continue carrying without your boss's knowledge.

neuroblades

imported post

I don't know how I missed this post, I try to keep a watch for now ones.

You CAN keep your sidearm with you at ALL times but no always on you at all times. What I mean is that you can legally carry your sidearm in your factory installed glovebox and NO ONE can legally restrict you from doing that.

KRS 237.106 - Right of employees and other persons to possess firearms in vehicle -- Employer liable for denying right -- Exceptions.

http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/KRS/237-00/106.PDF

DO NOT attempt to OC your sidearm, they can and will fire you.

If you possess a CCDW, then you can CC but make sure that your sidearm IS NEVER revealed. If a customer or anyone else happens to see it and reports you, your employer can fire you but there is NO criminal charge as long as you have your CCDW with you.

If you haven't read this post, check it out. This sounds like your query personified: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum25/37302.html

Ivan Sample

imported post

That is so true-So go get your CCDW permit and don't let your boss know or your customers. Tread lightly because if you have to use it and you are on company time. Then you will be fired on the spot and there is nothing you can do about it. There is one thing and that is be thank-ful that you are not facing criminal charges.:banghead:

mellio

imported post

Ivan Sample wrote:
That is so true-So go get your CCDW permit and don't let your boss know or your customers. Tread lightly because if you have to use it and you are on company time. Then you will be fired on the spot and there is nothing you can do about it. There is one thing and that is be thank-ful that you are not facing criminal charges.:banghead:
What would the criminal charges be?

imported post

Ive got a couple of questions that i could prolly find but you may be able to answer. 1) Can local buisnesses (walmart for instance) stop you from OCing in their store? 2) Does your holster have to expose a certain amount of your gun or does the holster have to conceal a certain amount of your gun?

Walkeraviator

Louisville, Commonwealth of Kentucky, , USA
imported post

Hopkins County FF 1121 wrote:
Ive got a couple of questions that i could prolly find but you may be able to answer. 1) Can local buisnesses (walmart for instance) stop you from OCing in their store? 2) Does your holster have to expose a certain amount of your gun or does the holster have to conceal a certain amount of your gun?
1.) Yes. All businesses have the right to refuse service to anyone. If they find offense with you carrying your firearm, they may ask you to leave. You cannot be arrested for simply carrying, but if asked to leave and you refuse, you run the risk of being arrested on Criminal Trespassing.

2.) For purposes of defining open carry, the holster becomes "part" of the gun when the gun is indeed holstered. So the cops cannot arrest you for unlicensedconcealed carry on the basis that the holster was concealing your firearm(but i wouldnt put it past some of the LEOs to try this). However it is important that the holster/gun unit is entirely exposed, meaning no t-shirt hanging down on it or anything like that.

These are the the way I see it, but Mr Mitch will soon be along to correct me if i am wrong. He is the wealth of knowledge you seek.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

2) Does your holster have to expose a certain amount of your gun or does the holster have to conceal a certain amount of your gun?

In all the states I visit, I have found the main point to be that the firearm is uncovered and the part sticking out of the holster is recognizable as a gun. Depending on which state/city I am visiting I use a OWB Blackhawk Serpa, a Galco OpenTop, or a Galco thumbstrap for my 1911.
IWB holsters are designed for CC and cover to much of the weapon IMHO.

FightingGlock19

imported post

langzaiguy wrote:
Nope, don't think so. I believe KRS says that you are allowed to have it in your vehicle when you're at work. You could get your CDWL and continue carrying without your boss's knowledge.
One can only have it in their personal vehicle. If it's a company vehicle, the employer still has say so.

I agree on the concealed part, though.