• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Breakfast before Lobbyday! (1/18/2010)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Lobby Day Breakfast - Mon, Jan 18th, 7:00 AM

River City Dinner

803 East Parham Road
Richmond, VA 23227-1107
Get directions
(804) 266-1500

This is the same place as in previous years.
If you are carrying, OC is required as alcohol is served.

They are very gun friendly and used to seeing us - food and quantity is very good.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
How is everyone getting from breakfast to the GA building? It is quite a ways away isn't it? I'm still trying to find out where the heck to park when I get to Richmond.
Jump right on I-95 South (w/ vehicle helps) which is right next to the River City Diner - about 10 minutes max to the Broad St./MCV exit.

Plenty of parking decks available - Coliseum Deck preferred by many.

On street parking if you are lucky enough to score one is golden - no meter enforcement on holidays.

Interstate 95
Richmond, VA

http://legis.virginia.gov/1_vis_guide/maps/capmap.pdf

Yata hey

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
How is everyone getting from breakfast to the GA building? It is quite a ways away isn't it? I'm still trying to find out where the heck to park when I get to Richmond.
Jump right on I-95 South (w/ vehicle helps) which is right next to the River City Diner - about 10 minutes max to the Broad St./MCV exit.

On street parking if you are lucky enough to score one is golden - no meter enforcement on holidays.

Interstate 95
Richmond, VA

Yata hey
What number on the map is the parking deck you speak of? Also, it says permit only??? Thanks

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:

Interstate 95
Richmond, VA

Yata hey
What number on the map is the parking deck you speak of? Also, it says permit only??? Thanks
Use the Interstate 95 link, satellite image. Parking deck is between 7th & 8th Streets and S.Leigh & S. Clay St. and across 7th Street from the Richmond Coliseum (round bldg) - about 4 blocks from the GAB - it is not permit only.

Very few lots in the area, except maybe those across the street from GAB, will be permit only on a holiday.

More detail or a "follow me" can be given at breakfast if you can make it.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
I'll leave here at 5am to make the breakfast. Then I can just follow you all to the garage. How much is it to park for the day?

Thanks!
Saturday for the inauguration is was $5.00 - think it will be the same Monday.

Yata hey

darthmord

imported post

Don't see myself or my daughter making it to the breakfast. We'd have to leave by 5am from our house in Norfolk. Which would mean I'd have to get up by 4:30am.

That's not likely to happen.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

A little late but I knew I had a good pro gun picture of River City. They have this picture framed at the Diner.

rc5.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Clear, sunny and will be in the mid-fifties! Great day for Lobby Day!

Now for a good breakfast. See you there.

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I was at River City Diner today and OC'ing. Matter of fact, it was warm so I took my jacket off and my Taser was OC too,

Courtney was our server and she was also the one that waited on us on Lobby day.

She was giggling about the Taser and told me about Lobby day.

Apparently there was a lady from up north at the counter that morning. Courtney refilled her cup and the woman asked her if she wasn't afraid of all those people with guns.

Courtney, Said "Oh no, they're just exercising their right to carry a gun in Virginia". The lady asked if they had a license to do it.

Bless her heart, Courtney said" You don't need one in Virginia".

I guess it sank in because the woman didn't run out in a panic. She waited for her food and didn't leave until after we did.

IMG_6659_copy%7E0.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Courtney is a sweetheart. Good for her.

She and others like her help to spread the word and depict us as we are - just good, normal people.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ed wrote:
I like when the waitstaff wears the GSL stickers.. even though they were forbidden at Innsbrook to do so.
They wear the metal GSL pins - their daily jewelry.

I'd really like to hear more of the conversations that other customers have with them.
The staff, particularly these ladies, are superb ambassadors.

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
ed wrote:
I like when the waitstaff wears the GSL stickers.. even though they were forbidden at Innsbrook to do so.
They wear the metal GSL pins - their daily jewelry.

I'd really like to hear more of the conversations that other customers have with them.
The staff, particularly these ladies, are superb ambassadors.

Yata hey
Last February, was the first time we went there.
I wrote this in OVN and the next time I went in, it was framed and on the wall. It's still there.

Lunch at River City Diner I’ve heard fellow VCDL members talk about the River City Diner for a long time now, but since I am usually at the farm on Weekends or rushing around, had never been there.
I’m Diabetic and control it with diet alone. It ain’t easy and I have to be picky about what I eat. My wife and I eat 4 or 5 times a week at Cracker Barrel but yesterday, the Manager at the Mechanicsville location, refused to leave the damn potatoes out of the Ham and Cheese Skillet. It kicked my level up 50 points. That made me mad so today while the better half and I were at Blue Ridge Sports, we decided to have lunch at River City.
I was sure they served alcohol but was wearing my Taser, so I left it concealed and went in.
It was clean and well decorated and was playing 50’s and 60’s music and HAD A SMOKING SECTION. (Just a quick reminder that Kaine’ anti Virginia smoking bill got him the double OX BUTT award here).
The Waitress or more correct title, SERVER, was Courtney and she fit the theme of the place perfectly. She was a lot of fun to be around and the service was great.
I checked out the menu and they serve breakfast all day. So far, they had hit 100%. The prices were good too.
I ordered Near Coffee (Decaf. I can’t drink REAL coffee anymore). It tasted good even if it didn’t have any guts.
Then I ordered Steak and eggs without any potatoes or bread. My wife, who hates most everything she eats, ordered a Cheeseburger. My eggs were done the way I ordered and Courtney had given me an extra egg because I didn’t get anything else….Hear that Cracker Barrel!
The big shock came when Jane finished and Said “That’s the best Cheeseburger I’ve ever had”. Good lord! No complaints.
The rest was paying and going home.
Gotta give them a AAA rating. They don’t panic at the sight of a gun, good food, good service, fair prices and interesting employees. Give it a try. I’ll be going back.
February 28th, 2009 | Category: Blogroll, Editorial, Firearms & Personal Safety, General Virginia news, Rural food and coffee, The Great Outdo