• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The coolest question ...............

Scrub

imported post

Last night we were heading out to Greenville, and when I got in the car with my wife I put my gun on the dash instead of between us on the console like usual. When she reached down to put the car in Drive she looked up at me with a confused look and said ......... "Why don't you have your gun?" When I pointed to it on the dash, she just smiled, and said, "Oh, OK." and pulled out into the street.

Is she a great woman or what?

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Scrub wrote:
Last night we were heading out to Greenville, and when I got in the car with my wife I put my gun on the dash instead of between us on the console like usual. When she reached down to put the car in Drive she looked up at me with a confused look and said ......... "Why don't you have your gun?" When I pointed to it on the dash, she just smiled, and said, "Oh, OK." and pulled out into the street.

Is she a great woman or what?

Are you sure she didn't say it to you in a smug kind of way?

I'm kidding, if she was generally concerned that you did not have your gun on you, that is a great thing in deed.

Scrub

imported post

I am sure, smug and condescending were over on about the third or fourth day I carried. We were in a gas station when a car load of thugs came in, and when they saw me they turned around and left. I'm pretty sure they thought I was a cop, and they probably did not want to meet one based on the prevailing odor of cannabis that followed them in.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

And if you get into an accident and the gun's sitting on the dash, where's it going to end up? Doesn't sound like a safe way to transport anything.

Coffee cups go in cup holders, handguns go in holsters. Keeps everything where it should be.

CarryOpen

imported post

"Plain view" in North Carolina makes it very difficult to keep a weapon holstered on your belt. Those of us who do not have a CWP have to put it someplace out in the open. I usually try to opt for the passenger seat. I don't know that the OP intended to keep the firearm on the console or not, but regardless of where it ended up being stored, most of us here understand why he placed it somewhere. Strong side carry as a passenger would not be considered open carry for me in NC. As a driver it's also a little bit iffy.

Scrub

imported post

CarryOpen wrote:
"Plain view" in North Carolina makes it very difficult to keep a weapon holstered on your belt. Those of us who do not have a CWP have to put it someplace out in the open. I usually try to opt for the passenger seat. I don't know that the OP intended to keep the firearm on the console or not, but regardless of where it ended up being stored, most of us here understand why he placed it somewhere. Strong side carry as a passenger would not be considered open carry for me in NC. As a driver it's also a little bit iffy.
Exactly, we don't have our CWP's yet so I have to keep it in plain view. I do not leave it on the dash for long. I have sort of a "nest" for it that keeps it in plain view between the seats, and somewhat secured until I get a permit. A Galco High Ride under a seat belt would definitely get me busted for CCW w/o a CWP in NC.

stang1988

imported post

carry the weapon in ur holster and if and when ur pulled over set the weapon on the seat . just a thought

CarryOpen

imported post

If you want to stay legal, that's not really an option. Also, you may not want to be drawing a gun whilst getting stopped.

Decoligny

imported post

stang1988 wrote:
wake forest pd and wake county sheriff have both told me that this is ok way to carry while driving
But what is the law on the subject? If a LEO says that it's just fine and the law says different,which do you think is going to stand up in court if you are arrested by an LEO who doesn't say it's OK?

Look up the applicable statute and know what the legal requirements actually are and obey them.

CarryOpen

imported post

This is from the state highway patrol and what I've always gone by:

"A handgun is concealed in a vehicle if it cannot be readily seen by a person approaching and if it is readily accessible. "

If a seat belt or door are obstructing the firearm, I would say that it is concealed.

I don't know of any statute that clearly defines when a firearm is or is not concealed. The AG used to have a bit in their NC Firearms Laws booklet about IWB holsters being considered concealed even if the firearm is openly displayed. I don't see that in there any more, so maybe it got challenged?

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Decoligny wrote:
stang1988 wrote:
wake forest pd and wake county sheriff have both told me that this is ok way to carry while driving
But what is the law on the subject? If a LEO says that it's just fine and the law says different,which do you think is going to stand up in court if you are arrested by an LEO who doesn't say it's OK?

Look up the applicable statute and know what the legal requirements actually are and obey them.
CarryOpen wrote:
This is from the state highway patrol and what I've always gone by:

"A handgun is concealed in a vehicle if it cannot be readily seen by a person approaching and if it is readily accessible. "

If a seat belt or door are obstructing the firearm, I would say that it is concealed.

I don't know of any statute that clearly defines when a firearm is or is not concealed. The AG used to have a bit in their NC Firearms Laws booklet about IWB holsters being considered concealed even if the firearm is openly displayed. I don't see that in there any more, so maybe it got challenged?

Unfortunately, there is no law defining exact concealed carry of a handgun ina vehicle. The general case, whether you are in a vehicle, or walking down the street is: If it is not readily visible (I think this can be construed as reasonably visible) by someone walking up to the vehicle AND it is readily accessible by a passenger in the car THEN it is considered unlawful concealed carry (if you don't have a permit).

If you are standing on the street, and your weapon is open and on your left hip, but an officer approaches you from your right and can not see your handgun, is that considered concealed? Well, by law technically, yes. But I think there is an understanding of reasonable view, wihch means if the officer approachd from some other side/angle, then he/she would may have seen the gun.

An example of Lawful concealed carry would be in the trunk of a car, a floor storage area (as seen on hatch-style vehicles). AG Roy Cooper stated that, even though a lockable glovebox means it is locked away, some police may take that as being ulawfully concealed (and arguably so). Since there is no law to help clear this up, usinga glovebox will likely result in charges at least and probably a conviction.

An in-wasteband holster, if tucked-out so the gun is visible should not be considered concealed. It may or may not have been challenged in court. Since the AG's words are not exactly law, but only a fair-view interpretation, it could have been modified with a realization that it may be wrong.

CarryOpen

imported post

I think that the difference between the car scenario and just not being able to see one side of a person is intent.

While I may not intend for my seatbelt to obstruct my weapon, it does obstruct it and it could be posited that I am conealing the weapon intentionally. I feel that the same holds true if I am openly carrying such that the weapon is placed between my body and the door. If I were openly carrying on the street and made a move to "hide" the weapon by pushing my body against a door or wall of a building I would also be intentionally concealing a weapon and guilty.

For me, it's just not worth causing trouble. I am doing what I do for my own reasons, if I can avoid a serious incident by simply making it clear that I am carrying openly, then I will do so. I'm no longer young enough to feel the need to "fight the man" to such a degree and would rather not be a test case in what I consider to be a very gray area.

Pick your battles and whatnot.

Scrub

imported post

I have based my decisions on how to carry in my vehicle on the advice of my father-in-law who retired as a Lt. with 30 years as a LEO. Since most of my time is spent in his previous jurisdiction or adjoining counties, I decided his advice is valid for me and my family. YMMV.

But back to the actual subject that I started this thread for ................ isn't it cool that my wife has come to the point she expects me to carry instead of just going along with it !!!