• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why Be Armed...?

Sonora Rebel

imported post

"TUCSON, AZ (KOLD) Wed 1/13/10 5:07 PM - A 22-year-old man was seriously shot when he came home to burglars in his house.
Officers are combing the area looking for the suspects-- who remain at
large as of 5 p.m. Wednesday.
Police say the 22-year-old interrupted three men burglarizing his house
near Speedway and Grande when he was shot.
He has been transported to a hospital and is described as being in serious
condition."

There's a couple thoughts on this... The BG's were armed already (or) The BG's found theresidents gun. At any rate... ya never know where orwhen or why. There's no reason (other than choice) why anyone in AZ cannot arm themselves in the present environment... but yet, many do not.

GF

imported post

My aunt that lives in Tucson came home the other day to find two guys in her house, but luckily they decided torun through the back door :cuss:. Could have been worse.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Pistol-Packing-Preacher-in-PV wrote:
This type of thing is exactly why I'm always armed -- even when in my own house. If you don't have it on you, you can't use it if something happens.

Me too.

As the District Commander of the Pima County Sheriff's office here told a gathering at a community meeting a few years ago: "If you don't own a gun... get one. Learn how to use it. We can't respond to a 911 call fast enough due to distance and manpower. You are responsible for your own defense. It's still the 'wild west' out here.

TOF

imported post

Your in the same situation as we are Sonora. We have one Deputy covering an area 50 miles wide by 30 deep. Outsiders are greeted with hand on butt of pistol should they happen to come up the steps. If they don't look right they don't get that far.
Stay safe.

Dahwg

imported post

We are outside of city limits kinda sandwiched between Marana and Tucson but still in Pima county. There is a PCSO sub-station about five minutes away and even at that close distance, each deputy I've spoken to - without exception, has said the same thing- "we can't get there fast enough, if you're not home, make sure your wife is armed and knows what she's doing too."

On that note, we were at the range a couple of months back and two lady officers from TPD came in to do some practice- or to be more accurate, some spray and pray drills. They did a good job of making sure their silhouettes had plenty of well spaced holes (approx 3-6 inches apart).

My wife had her trademark 3 inch groups all roughly where the guy's ticker would be. These two lady cops stopped what they were doing when my wife brought her target back to mark. Shook their heads and one said, "I sure hope you're one of the good guys."

TOF

imported post

We had a Sheriff's firearms instructor shoot in an IPSC match in Payson some time back. Not saying which county. He ended up with half of the next closest score which was the lowest other than his. Needless to say, I was not impressed.

curtm1911

imported post

My SD firearam is always on my hip during waking hours. It is within arms reach when in bed. I also have additional surprises for any BG I might encounter. Like American Express, I don't leave home without it and it is on me at home too. Break into my house and you will either get a ride in a Police car or an ambulance, there is no third option.

AZkopper

imported post

TOF wrote:
Your in the same situation as we are Sonora. We have one Deputy covering an area 50 miles wide by 30 deep. Outsiders are greeted with hand on butt of pistol should they happen to come up the steps. If they don't look right they don't get that far.
Stay safe.

Your lucky. I service an area of 1150 sq. miles (est. pop. 5000), and there is only two of us on at a time. Response times can be in the range of 30-45 minutes if we are at the other end of the district.

At least (most) people here understand that, and take appropriate precautions for their own safety. I have to roll my eyes at people who moved 50 miles out of town, and still expect 3 minute response times, and don't own guns.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

AZkopper wrote:

I have to roll my eyes at people who moved 50 miles out of town, and still expect 3 minute response times, and don't own guns.

Darwinism will prevail upon these mouth breathers eventually.

imported post

AZkopper wrote:
TOF wrote:
Stay safe.

Your lucky. I service an area of 1150 sq. miles (est. pop. 5000), and there is only two of us on at a time. Response times can be in the range of 30-45 minutes if we are at the other end of the district.

At least (most) people here understand that, and take appropriate precautions for their own safety. I have to roll my eyes at people who moved 50 miles out of town, and still expect 3 minute response times, and don't own guns.
I think they may have you beat, since 50 by 30 is 1500 square miles. *GRIN*

All kidding aside, I grew up in Yavapai County, and remember when most everyone who lived here was of the "self-sufficient" mindset. It also amuses (and saddens, I must admit) me to listen to outsiders who move into the area to "get back to nature" (or whatever) and don't own any kind of firearm -- but expect law enforcement to be there instantly if they have a problem.

*SIGH*

Pace

imported post

I'm armed now, because none of my pants fit me anymore unless I have the paddle holster in them. DAmn.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Pistol-Packing-Preacher-in-PV wrote:
AZkopper wrote:
TOF wrote:
Stay safe.

I think they may have you beat, since 50 by 30 is 1500 square miles. *GRIN*

All kidding aside, I grew up in Yavapai County, and remember when most everyone who lived here was of the "self-sufficient" mindset. It also amuses (and saddens, I must admit) me to listen to outsiders who move into the area to "get back to nature" (or whatever) and don't own any kind of firearm -- but expect law enforcement to be there instantly if they have a problem.

*SIGH*

Nature has a way of improving the gene pool.;)

I don't live in such a remote area as some of you, but I figure I might be looking at at least a 5 min repsonse time for the SD AFTER the 911 call is made. I may not be able to get that 911 call made right away.

BTW, Here 911 puts you in direct contact with the SD dispatcher.

Pace

imported post

curtm1911 wrote:
What diet plan is that? Small caliber many times or Large caliber in smaller doses..........
Hah, its just that all my jeans are stretched a little bit because I carry all the time. The blackhawk paddle hosters tend to stretch a few centimeters here and there... I carry a XDM 9m now most of the time.