• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Marvel Comics

Prophet

imported post

So I was taking a walk around Sears today and on their bevy of flat screen tv's I see the trailer for a Marvel Video game that basically shows super heroes fighting each other because of a government enforcement of a Super Hero registration act.

This is the video game spin off of a story arc in the marvel universe where Super Heroes are forced to register with the US government, tell the gov. their secret identity, the powers they possess and the weaknesses that they have. Some of the superheroes see this as sensible superpower laws...you know...to protect the children, while others (Captain America among them) view this as an affront on the American way of life and the constitution. Cap and his crew are then made outlaws and brandished as cowboys, extremists and wackos.

Perhaps I'm reading into this a bit much but I see a direct correlation between the Superhero Registration act and any type of gun registration.

This isnt the first time that Marvel has made allusions to their disdain for government registrations as shown with the Mutant Registration act in which just mutants had to register with the government. First they registered, then the government came for them and took them to experiment on them and use their powers. After all, only the government can use these powers for their own self interest.

So, thoughts?

And for the smartasses who want to ask "what does this have to do with Open carry" I'll say that the Super Heroes have their powers shown openly and therefore they open carry their awesomeness.

JBURGII

imported post

I have seen a few of these story lines and see the metaphor. Art (comics) can reflect our culture and the artist can let his feeling bleed through for sure.

I might have to make a trip to add this game to my collection.. er for reference purposes only.. ahem...

Superlite27

imported post

You are making a critical error.

Thinking that there is a logical thread to anti-gun thought is a serious mistake.

I am not implying that Marvel Comics are "secretly anti-gun" or "secretly pro-gun". I am completely clueless as to their view on firearms. I am just stating that simply because one entity promotes a point of view concerning one subject, this doesn't logically follow that they promote the same point of view on a different, but similar topic.

I have a friend (as much as aflaming liberalcan be called a "friend") who is constantly raving about how the government holds too much power and sway over our daily lives. He's constantly spouting off about personal freedom and reponsibility for one's self instead of trusting things to the "damned Feds". Very anti-war and constantly preaches about keeping the government from killing our sons and daughters. Hates the Patriot Act, and simply points out that the government wants any excuse to spy on us.

But, as a liberal, his "anti-government ranting" is very selective. If he wants government out of our business, you'd think he'd love to go to tea parties and protest the evil government involvement in healthcare, right?

Wrong! Remember, as a liberal, one is allowed to believe things that are very contradictory.

My good ol' buddy that runs his mouth off about personal freedom at any opportunity?

How do you think he feels about the personal freedom to carry a gun?

According to him, it encroaches on his personal freedom to not be around them.

So much for personal freedom......for you or me. I guess personal freedom only counts forHIS personal freedom.

See? Just because a person says something you agree with, they might not mean it in the same context that you do. So, just because Marvel Comics point out the perils of a government registration program, if they turn out to be a liberal entity, they are allowed to believe that the very registration program that is bad for them, is good for you.

canadian

imported post

Prophet wrote:
a story arc in the marvel universe where Super Heroes are forced to register with the US government, tell the gov. their secret identity, the powers they possess and the weaknesses that they have. Some of the superheroes see this as sensible superpower laws...you know...to protect the children, while others (Captain America among them) view this as an affront on the American way of life and the constitution.
Is that the same story arc where the government hunts down and kills Captain America? I don't follow these things any more.