• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB 591: Detention of juveniles in secure facility; possession of certain firearms by juveniles

TFred

imported post

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?101+sum+SB591

Full Text

Detention of juveniles in secure facility; possession of certain firearms by juveniles. Clarifies that a juvenile may be detained in a secure facility if the juvenile is alleged to have violated § 18.2-308.7 (possession or transportation of a handgun or assault weapon by a person under the age of 18).

t33j

imported post

I hope nobody that violates the law is held in an unsecured facility. Although I disagree with the arbitrary age requirement involved with the law in question.

TFred

imported post

The full text is posted now. It looks like the intention is to add this one violation to the prior criteria which much be reached in order to lock up a juvenile (as opposed to releasing them to the care of a parent or guardian). The current criteria are that the crime would be a felony, or a Class 1 misdemeanor if the juvenile were an adult.

This is rather odd, since the violation of a juvenile in possession of a handgun is already a Class 1 misdemeanor. I don't see what this bill changes.

TFred