• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wells Fargo Problem

Gizmoe142

imported post

I went into Wells Fargo today where I have OC almost everyday for a few months now. The tellers know and I explained them why I do it and that it is legal. I have never had any problems actually encouragement from the bank staff.

Today on the other hand the story was different. I went in as I normally do, walked up to the teller and she looked at my waist as i reached for my wallet and saw my gun. I know she has seen it before but has never made a comment for or against it.
She immediately said "Do you carry that in here all the time?"
I said "yes"
She said "We cant have you bring that in here anymore"
I Said " Why Not?"
She said "It is against the law"
I informed her that no it was not and that state law said It is legal
She said "that it was a policy too"

Now I was annoyed and dropped it at that but I was wondering if anyone had ran into a problem at Wells Fargo Before and knew if there was a policy in place or not. Also I am a little fuzzy on the rules and requirements for having to have signs posted saying no guns allowed. If a bank or private business wants to not allow guns, dont they have to have signs saying "no guns allowed"?

P.S. this was in Idaho Falls

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Gizmoe142 wrote:
I went into Wells Fargo today where I have OC almost everyday for a few months now. The tellers know and I explained them why I do it and that it is legal. I have never had any problems actually encouragement from the bank staff.

Today on the other hand the story was different. I went in as I normally do, walked up to the teller and she looked at my waist as i reached for my wallet and saw my gun. I know she has seen it before but has never made a comment for or against it.
She immediately said "Do you carry that in here all the time?"
I said "yes"
She said "We cant have you bring that in here anymore"
I Said " Why Not?"
She said "It is against the law"
I informed her that no it was not and that state law said It is legal
She said "that it was a policy too"

Now I was annoyed and dropped it at that but I was wondering if anyone had ran into a problem at Wells Fargo Before and knew if there was a policy in place or not. Also I am a little fuzzy on the rules and requirements for having to have signs posted saying no guns allowed. If a bank or private business wants to not allow guns, dont they have to have signs saying "no guns allowed"?

P.S. this was in Idaho Falls
Would strongly suggest having a meeting with the branch manager - might not even need to go further after that. Likely just a poorly informed teller.

Wells Fargo has had a history if of not being pro, at least being neutral and following state law.

Yata hey

Louie86

imported post

I have been carrying in Wells Fargo for the last few years without any problems. I am going to guess that grapeshot is right and probably just a uninformed teller I would think if there was a policy against it I would have heard of it. I have a friend that is a teller and she never mentioned anything to me.

ecocks

imported post

I have carried into both of the branches in Meridian, one up to the north, south of Chinden and west of Eagle and he one in Eagle near the Albertsons and McD's without any problems. I wa sin the one at Cherry and Main in Meridian yesterday but this time of year I have my coat on over my holster.

Never a problem even when I meet with a private banker for paperwork like notarizations, account opening and such.

Gizmoe142

imported post

Ya kind of what I thought. I know she has seen my gun before and never said anything. I think what it is, is that she got put in a manager position or something with a little more power and has decided to exercise it. I am going to go back and if their is still a problem I am just going to close my account and be done with them. Losing my business will not be good for that branch, because of the amount of transactions I do and all the business I send their way.
O well sucks for them.

But what about my question?
If a business or Bank or something wants to not allow guns dont they have to have posted signs?

ecocks

imported post

Nope, they just have to express that they don't want your business. Property rights.

As long as you leave promptly and quietly, no problems.

As you say, take your business elsewhere if it really bothers you or seek clarification from management that this is, in fact, their policy.

DBSweetwood

imported post

Even if they have a sign posted they can not get you on any gun related charges, only trespassing if you don't leave. Also, if you do have more problems and the management won't fix it, make sure you show them how much business they are losing when you close your account, and be very specific as to why they lost your account.

Gizmoe142

imported post

Update

after two weeks of being given the ring around by the tellers and manager. I finally pinned her down and asked the manager what the deal was with guns in the bank. At first she backed the teller who had said it wasnt allowed.
I brought up the fact that Wells Fargo usually follows the state law on the matter and that in Idaho as long as the firearm is in plain sight i could carry it legaly. I asked if there was someone higher up she could talk too. She called another branch in IF and asked them and when they didnt have the answer I had her call corprate.
Corprate then proceeded to tell her that she was wrong and that while they prefered that I refrain from bringing my gun to the bank that they would not stop me.
She appologized for the problem and said she would inform the rest of the tellers that it was not a problem and not to bring it up again.

Oh and the Manager did back up what I thought that the teller had just been trying to exersice some power too. Anyway so I guess I can keep doing business there.

kimberfella616

imported post

Awesome job. Score 1 for OC.

BTW, even if they ask you to leave they would have to ask you to leave again on any returning trips (unless they put a restraining order against you).

JK

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

kimberfella616 wrote:
Awesome job. Score 1 for OC.

BTW, even if they ask you to leave they would have to ask you to leave again on any returning trips (unless they put a restraining order against you).

JK
Caution to other readers - depends on the state.

Yata hey

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Would strongly suggest having a meeting with the branch manager - might not even need to go further after that. Likely just a poorly informed teller.

Wells Fargo has had a history if of not being pro, at least being neutral and following state law.

Yata hey
Well, maybe it would be better to levae the issue alone lest they invent a policy.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Mike wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
Well, maybe it would be better to levae the issue alone lest they invent a policy.
They have a policy Mike and have even gone so far as to say that when the Wachovia signs come down to be replaced with Wells Fargo signs the No Guns signs will be all gone.

In fact, many in the Richmond area have been down for some time now. To my knowledge the only ones still left are those that are stamped into the metal on the doors.

Yata hey

M

McX

imported post

or you all could give your money to me, so you wouldn't have a reason to go to the bank....................doesn't the government already do that?

ecocks

imported post

The day Wells-Fargo tells meI am not welcome in their location when wearing a firearm will be the day they lose my business. Each of you shouldbe the same way too.

I really cannot believe there was a comment on this board, of all places, that we should avoid questioning their policy lest they invent one. I expect that sort of thing over at USACarry from the CC-only group, but here it is what we supposedly were standing up foras citizens.