• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Practical Firearms Training

CarryOpen

imported post

Bumping this for you- I just left him a message to find out about the April Defensive Handgun classes. I see a few good reviews and no negative reports on line. His prices are quite reasonable in my opinion, would just like to hear more form people who've taken the classes. They also do some group discounts - maybe we could try to get an OCDO group?

Regular_Joe

imported post

CarryOpen wrote:
Bumping this for you- I just left him a message to find out about the April Defensive Handgun classes. I see a few good reviews and no negative reports on line. His prices are quite reasonable in my opinion, would just like to hear more form people who've taken the classes. They also do some group discounts - maybe we could try to get an OCDO group?
Thanks for the bump! I have spent some time researching, and I am only finding positive reviews. His WV site is fairly close (maybe a 3-hour drive) and his prices are very good.

I was going to schedule the training for the summer but my wife is wanting training as soon as possible (who am I to argue!?!), so I am going to sign us up for the April 10/11 Defensive Handgun I & II courses.

Pat has been in contact with us several times, offering to loan equipment and providing some additional details regarding the class and lodging - I like the level of customer service so far!

I'll provide more details in this thread as I get them, and will post a review when we return.

CarryOpen

imported post

I intend to take the same class. I haven't heard back from Pat yet though, I'm going to try to call again tomorrow. Are you going to take the light class too?

Regular_Joe

imported post

CarryOpen wrote:
I intend to take the same class. I haven't heard back from Pat yet though, I'm going to try to call again tomorrow. Are you going to take the light class too?
Excellent - we'll meet you there. The low light seminar? I am not planning on it - I actually couldn't find a description of it on his site.

I don't know him at all, but in one of his recent e-mails, he did say he was traveling this week. He had been good about responding to e-mail. You might want to send him a note to let him know of your intent to attend.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Interesting! I'd be up for a DHII and AH, as I think I fall somewhere in the middle of the DHII description, but would want a solid foundation before moving to AH.

I didn't see any AH offered in MT in 2010, though...

Regular_Joe

imported post

since9 wrote:
Interesting! I'd be up for a DHII and AH, as I think I fall somewhere in the middle of the DHII description, but would want a solid foundation before moving to AH.

I didn't see any AH offered in MT in 2010, though...
The Handgun CQB may be a good alternative to AH.

Course descriptions:

Defensive Handgun I (8-10 Hours, 300 rounds recommended)
This course introduces the student to techniques applicable to defensive use of the handgun. Emphasis is put on shooting skill development for application in real-life circumstances. The fundamentals of Mindset, Gun-handling, and Marksmanship are covered in lecture while the practical aspects are taught on the range. Other course topics include Situational Awareness, equipment selection, safety, handling, loading, unloading, malfunction clearance, drawing and firing techniques, single handed firing, firing from cover, multiple targets, movement, and tactics. This course will qualify the student for a Concealed Carry License / Concealed Weapons Permit.

Defensive Handgun II (8-10 Hours*, 500-600 rounds recommended)
This course begins with an evaluation of the performance expected at the conclusion of Defensive Handgun I (or equivalent), and progresses quickly into an emphasis on applying more advanced techniques under more difficult real-life situations. The development of Reflexive / Subconscious ability is taught. Topics include increased speed or weapon deployment, increased difficulty of shooting problems and scenarios, disabled and/or injured shooter exercises, shooting from disadvantageous firing positions, shooting while on the move, shooting moving targets, drawing and firing from concealment, as well as many more advanced tactics.

Advanced Handgun* (24-30 hours, 1200-1500 Rounds Primary, 50 Backup*)
This course is structured for those who have successfully completed Defensive Handgun I and II or other school's equivalent. Performance of all Level I and most Level II skills on demand will be expected. A brief review and marksmanship / gunhandling skills 'tune-up' will be conducted initially. This will be followed by a Skills Inventory demonstration by each shooter. Performance will be elevated to an extremely high level by pushing the balance of accuracy versus speed shooting against stationary, multiple and moving targets. Other subjects featured include difficult targets, close range emergency reaction, reflexive malfunction clearance, use of space, movement techniques within confined areas, multiple indoor and outdoor tactical simulators, low light, vehicular techniques, backup weapon use, and weapon retention. This course is offered in 1, 2, and 3-day formats (facility-dependent). The 3-day version features 2 low-light sessions and multiple interactive exercises. A quality flashlight (Surefire-type or other high output), concealment, garment and an alternative / backup handgun are recommended (* but optional).

Handgun CQB (16-20 hours, 500-700 rounds; open to all)
This course focuses on the conditions encountered in most handgun engagements. Heavy emphasis is placed on deployment of the handgun from concealment, low light/night shooting, close distances, movement and close …proximity to structures and vehicles. It features extensive use of reality based scenarios, shooting house work, vehicles, and moving/reactive target engagement. Scenarios requiring interaction with role players and shoot/no-shoot decision making will be conducted. Attendees must have completed Defensive Handgun I (prior completion of Defensive Handgun II is strongly encouraged). Successful completion of previous comparable training may be considered. The course includes a Low Light block of instruction during the evening of training. Class size is limited to 12 shooters.

Low Light Seminar (4-5 hours, 150 rounds; open to all)
This course focuses on the unique aspects of low-light / night encounters. Topics include types of low light, visual capabilities and perceptions, equipment, firing techniques, and practical scenarios. Prerequisite for the Low Light Seminar is PFT's Defensive Handgun I or the equivalent.

CarryOpen

imported post

Regular_Joe wrote:
CarryOpen wrote:
Excellent - we'll meet you there. The low light seminar? I am not planning on it - I actually couldn't find a description of it on his site.

I don't know him at all, but in one of his recent e-mails, he did say he was traveling this week. He had been good about responding to e-mail. You might want to send him a note to let him know of your intent to attend.
I figure since I keep a flashlight by the bed, one in the truck and one in my pocket, I ought to know how to use it. As Clint Smith is always saying, most violent encounters occur in low, altered or failing light. When I go to the range I try to run with the light off and shoot with and without the flashlight, but I don't have any other further training, so I figure it's worth a few extra bucks, especially since I'll already be there.

I'll try emailing him, I had thought he might in MT or something of that nature. What did he tell you in regards to lodging? I read somewhere that there was a campground nearby, I was thinking of just roughing it for one night and staying with friends Friday and Sunday nights. Unlike your wife, mine isn't so interested/supportive of my habbit ;)

CarryOpen

imported post

The email suggestion worked out well. I got in touch with Pat and got my questions answered and he's slotted me for the April courses so I'll see you out there.

Regular_Joe

imported post

CarryOpen wrote:
I'll try emailing him, I had thought he might in MT or something of that nature. What did he tell you in regards to lodging? I read somewhere that there was a campground nearby, I was thinking of just roughing it for one night and staying with friends Friday and Sunday nights. Unlike your wife, mine isn't so interested/supportive of my habbit ;)
I am so blessed and fortunate that my wife is not only supportive but it appears that she is developing the same habit!

I asked Pat about nearby lodging. His reply:

> Most shooters stay in Lewisburg, WV. There are a number of hotels there
> but we usually recommend
> The Brier Inn, Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express for the best combination
> of price, quality and
> available services. Covington VA is too far (it is our business office
> address only) and Alderson
> only has one small (older and basic) hotel. Of the three recommended
> above, the Brier Inn will
> likely be the most inexpensive (it is older than the others). My shooters
> have very good things
> to say about the Holiday Inn Express (new, with good service and excellent
> breakfast).

CarryOpen

imported post

Joe - it was good meeting you and your wife this weekend, had great time shooting with you. For anyone interested, I thought the training we received was top-notch. Pat and all of his instructors were very knowledgable and helpful.

Regular_Joe

imported post

CarryOpen wrote:
Joe - it was good meeting you and your wife this weekend, had great time shooting with you. For anyone interested, I thought the training we received was top-notch. Pat and all of his instructors were very knowledgable and helpful.
It was great meeting you as well - hope your trip back home didn't take you through NJ!

Regular_Joe

imported post

My wife and I attended Pat Goodale's two-day Defensive Handgun I & II at his Practical Firearms Training range in WV.

His curriculum focused on Mindset/Tactics, Gun Handling and Marksmanship. Pat ran a very professional and intensive course.

The class size was 21, organized into two drill rotations. He had three other instructors assisting, providing a nice 5-to-1 instructor/student ratio. The other instructors were also experienced; one was an armorer providing quick on-site corrective adjustments and repairs.

Day 1 consisted of 4 hours classroom, 5 hours range time; Day 2 was all range time. We expended about 250-300 rounds on Day 1 and 500-600 on Day 2.

Mindset was heavily emphasized during all instruction and drills, whether firing at a threat 1 yard away or sighting in on a target 80 yards away. We learned close quarter tactics, shooting on the move, failure recovery, how to effectively fire from every position imaginable, and worked through scenario-based situations. We utilized paper and steel targets, vehicles and wall structures. At all times Pat stressed the mindset and challenged us to think through decisions. We appreciated his attention to safety - necessary when operating a hot range for 9 hours.

There was a mix of students, from experienced to new handgun owners, age ranges (18 - 60's) and male/female.

This is our first defensive training (other than the VA CHP class) so I can't compare it to others. I can say that we would highly recommend the training to anyone that wants to take their defensive capabilities to the next level.

One nice benefit is that class alumni can contact Pat and arrange to come out and shoot at his range for free - he has plenty of steel targets! Hotels are about 20 minutes away and a campground is nearby.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. I could see us taking this training again in the future - it would be good to regularly train those fundamentals so that they become a natural reaction!

okboomer

imported post

TAP - RACK - BANG :lol:

I haven't had the instructor you are talking about, but have taken classes with another instructor and the classes are a blast! Last one was two days of running-and-gunning after a morning of classroom and half a day of low-light shooting.

I second the recommendation for anyone to take advanced defensive pistol classes. Along with the sheer fun, you develop additional defensive skill sets and at the very least, exposure to unfamiliar shooting positions and the thinking for different situations.

CarryOpen

imported post

I would like to add that the low-light class was really worth the dollars in my eyes. Remember that more than 2/3 of lethal force encounters occur in low, altered or failing light. I practice with the flashlight every time I go to the range, but being able to work at night with dynamic targets and great instructors is worth twice what I paid for it. I'll be taking their CQB class next and I will probably sign up for another low light seminar sometime as well.

Regular_Joe

imported post

CarryOpen wrote:
I would like to add that the low-light class was really worth the dollars in my eyes. Remember that more than 2/3 of lethal force encounters occur in low, altered or failing light. I practice with the flashlight every time I go to the range, but being able to work at night with dynamic targets and great instructors is worth twice what I paid for it. I'll be taking their CQB class next and I will probably sign up for another low light seminar sometime as well.
We'll probably hit this next time, along with the CQB course as well - let me know when you return!

Regular_Joe

imported post

By the way, during the 1st morning's classroom session, I noticed a large bulletin board full of patches from several military units and LE agencies. Prominent on one side: the VCDL patch!

CarryOpen

imported post

I remember the board, but I missed the VCDL patch. Just another plus for Pat and his crew.

__

Banned
imported post

Ya think CarryOpen and Regular-Joe are a push-me-pull-you, or Stan and Oliver? Ba da dump!