• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is 16+1 legal?

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I live in Colorado. State laws do allow one in the chamber, even while driving.

My 9mm clip holds 16 rounds, but I can chamber a round and reload, bringing the total count in the weapon to 17 rounds.

Questions:

1. Is this a violation of any Colorado law? If so, which law?

2. Is this a violation of any US law? If so, which law?

Sabotage70

imported post

I carry 16+1 in my XDm 40. There are a couple of states that do not allow chambered carry. Utah doesn't allow chambered unless you have a permit.
Here is a source for concealed carry info.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/
You can also click on the "maps" link for additional info.

10A

imported post

1 No
2 No

There is no limit on the number of rounds you can carry in a gun under Colorado state law or federal law. You cannot have a chambered round on a long gun in Colorado while driving, but one in the pipe on a handgun is OK everywhere in the state while driving, OC'ing where legal, and if you are CC'ing with the proper permit where legal.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

since9 wrote:

My 9mm clip holds 16 rounds, but I can chamber a round and reload, bringing the total count in the weapon to 17 rounds.

Questions:

It's a magazine, not a clip.

Gunslinger

imported post

since9 wrote:

Questions:

Violates no law, state or Federal, in CO--and how I always carry.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

You could attach a 100 round drum mag to your pistol if you wanted to, but you would probably walk funny with all that weight on one side.