Thread: CC - It worked, even on Day One

Post imported post

It was February, 1992. I had received my CC permit that very morning. I was off-duty (military) and decided to try out my new belly bag while in town.

I was in Spokane, WA, had just left a surplus store and was walking to my car in the back parking lot, which was relatively empty. A large car was driving along the side road next to the store, and when the driver saw me, he slammed on his brakes, backed up about thirty feet, and roared into the parking lot, parking directly in front of me.

Four guys poured out, all with their eyes on me, so I knew something was up. Normally, if they were shopping, they'd simply be looking at one another, the ground, whatever.

They took two steps and I reached for my gun. When my hand reached the rip-zipper, a fifth person, a girl whom I hadn't seen in the backseat, screamed, "He's got a gun!"

All four instantly stopped, and then back-peddled while saying, "Hey, we was just joking with you." They dove into the car and roared out of there.

All I can say is "Thank God for the lookout - she probably saved us all a whale of grief."

My point is, that was Day 1 of concealed carry, and it was the closest I've ever come to drawing a weapon. In fact, it was the only time I've ever thought I might need to draw a weapon.

But I'm dang glad I didn't give in to any sheepishness about being "foolish" for carrying a weapon in our "modern, enlightened" society. It underscored there are plenty of people out there who prey on the weak.

Don't be weak.

Also, if you are shy about OC, I would strongly recommend you consider CC, as you'll be a lot less shy about that, and you'll always have a weapon if you need one. Other benefits include the fact that many states have reciprocity laws. For example, I can travel while carrying concealed throughout most of the mid-West, as those states have reciprocity with Colorado.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Post imported post

Glad you came away ok, and didn't have to fire a shot or even draw. I've had to do both and I assure you, it's not a fun thing.

-Gruu

Post imported post

TehGruu wrote:
    Glad you came away ok, and didn't have to fire a shot or even draw.* I've had to do both and I assure you, it's not a fun thing.

************************* ********* -Gruu
    I as well have done both and concurr this went as well as it could have. Having to shoot is horrible.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Post imported post

Thanks, folks. I concur, and am dang glad they had a sharp-eyed lookout. It saved at least one of the four men's hide, probably mine, too, as well as tons of grief.

This was, after all, back in the days when belly-packs for simple wallet and key storage were common. For her to spot it as a gun within five seconds of their vehicle coming to a stop, and from the back seat, meant she was definitely looking for it!
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Post imported post

since9 wrote:
    ... For her to spot it as a gun within five seconds of their vehicle coming to a stop, and from the back seat, meant she was definitely looking for it!
    So the question is if you were OC-ing would the car even have stopped? Carry anyway you are comfortable with.

Post imported post

They should have gone into the mall to buy new underwear. I bet there was a bit of a mess in em.

Post imported post

That's how people get hurt or killed by playing those games. I hope I never have to use my weapon but if I do. I know how to and will if my life is threaten.
    Capricorn

Post imported post

Good job. Situational awareness is all important.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

"That's how people get hurt or killed by playing those games." -- Ivan Sample

Game? It probably wasn't a game...wise up, guy.

If people look like they're going to harm you -- or tell you they are -- take it at face value because that's exactly what they'regoing to.

-- John D.
    (formerly of Colorado Springs, CO)

Post imported post

glad everything worked out ok for you,i have been carrying for 5 years now and i have only had to draw my gun once.Iwas walking down the side walk and some teen agers drove there car up on the side walk straight at me i think they were just trying to scare me,but i turned the tide when i drew my 1911.:celebrate

Post imported post

Cloudcroft-

I was generally speaking not that I said its wasn't game. People do stupid things these days that could cost them their lives. But then in again we as trained gun owners should know when and how to use our weapons:celebrate
    Capricorn

Post imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
    since9 wrote:
    ... For her to spot it as a gun within five seconds of their vehicle coming to a stop, and from the back seat, meant she was definitely looking for it!
    So the question is if you were OC-ing would the car even have stopped? Carry anyway you are comfortable with.

Ditto that on the OC- good question specially for this open carry board. We'll never know for sure but it seems the initial confrontation may have been avoided by OC.

Since9- very glad you are okay. I was surprised to read a story like this from Co Springs- crimes happen everywhere but I just always get this very peaceful picture perfect scene when I think about Co Springs.

Keep up the great work Since9 You've inspired me.

Post imported post

I totally agree with you that OC prevented the situation from getting out of hand. I am thankful for this board. Because I never knew that you could OC here in Louisville. Due to our Instructor saying that it was brandishing, so thanks again.
    Capricorn

Post imported post

since9 wrote:
    It was February, 1992.* I had received my CC permit that very morning.* I was off-duty (military) and decided to try out my new belly bag while in town.

I was in Spokane, WA, had just left a surplus store and was walking to my car in the back parking lot, which was relatively empty.* A large car was driving along the side road next to the store, and when the driver saw me, he slammed on his brakes, backed up about thirty feet, and roared into the parking lot, parking directly in front of me.

Four guys poured out, all with their eyes on me, so I knew something was up.* Normally, if they were shopping, they'd simply be looking at one another, the ground, whatever.*

They took two steps and I reached for my gun.* When my hand reached the rip-zipper, a fifth person, a girl whom I hadn't seen in the backseat, screamed, "He's got a gun!"

All four instantly stopped, and then back-peddled while saying, "Hey, we was just joking with you."* They dove into the car and roared out of there.

All I can say is "Thank God for the lookout - she probably saved us all a whale of grief."

My point is, that was Day 1 of concealed carry, and it was the closest I've ever come to drawing a weapon.* In fact, it was the only time I've ever thought I might need to draw a weapon.*

But I'm dang glad I didn't give in to any sheepishness about being "foolish" for carrying a weapon in our "modern, enlightened" society.* It underscored there are plenty of people out there who prey on the weak.

Don't be weak.

Also, if you are shy about OC, I would strongly recommend you consider CC, as you'll be a lot less shy about that, and you'll always have a weapon if you need one.* Other benefits include the fact that many states have reciprocity laws.* For example, I can travel while carrying concealed throughout most of the mid-West, as those states have reciprocity with Colorado.
    Good story! I would also agree that OC could have prevented the whole encounter.

Post imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
    45acpForMe wrote:
    since9 wrote:
    ...* For her to spot it as a gun within five seconds of their vehicle coming to a stop, and from the back seat, meant she was definitely looking for it!
    So the question is if you were OC-ing would the car even have stopped?** Carry anyway you are comfortable with.

Ditto that on the OC- good question specially for this open carry board.* We'll never know for sure but it seems the initial confrontation may have been avoided by OC.

Since9- very glad you are okay.* I was surprised to read a story like this from Co Springs- crimes happen everywhere but I just always get this very peaceful picture perfect scene when I think about Co Springs.

Keep up the great work Since9 * You've inspired me.
    The event took place in Spokane, WA.

Post imported post

I'm an idiot. haha. Should have known.. it's right up there in the post... Either way- great work Since9.

Post imported post

Ivan Sample wrote:
    I totally agree with you that OC prevented the situation from getting out of hand.* I am thankful for this board. Because I never knew that you could OC here in Louisville. Due to our Instructor saying that it was brandishing, so thanks again.
    OP was CC'ing at the time of the confrontation.

Post imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
    I'm an idiot.* haha.* Should have known.. it's right up there in the post...* Either way- great work Since9.
    No your not, some things get over looked after reading several posts. I sorry if I made it seem that way. I just wanted people who may not read from the beginning to have to right info.

Post imported post

It was at WalMart two weeks ago with my 12yr old daughter picking up a birthday present. We stopped by sporting goods to check ammo(they had none) and when we turned the corner to head to checkout, there were two young men standing in front of the AirSoft guns. As soon as they noticed my pistol, one of the boys pulled a AirSoft gun out from under his hoodie, dropped it and ran. His friend just stood their with the deer in the headlight look. I said,"You might want to think twice about that." He said "YES SIR, I WILL" then unsure asked, "Are you a cop?". I told him "no, just a customer shopping". With a really confused look, he turned and quickly walked away. I know that there are times and places when CC is safer or more appropriate but OC'ing for most of my daily activities is whats best for me.

Post imported post

im getting it! the OP is in colorado springs,, but his run in happened in spokane washington..
    but then he talks,,, if you dont wanna OC then CC, was confusing!!
    then some one says he didnt know you can OC in, lobville?? or some such place??
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Post imported post

Yep, the post was getting a little off track but you have it right.

Spelling Edit

Post imported post

Man, that was what I call timing in getting the CCW. I hate to think what would have happened to you if you had not had a gun. Most likely we would have read about you in the paper as the victim of a senseless crime.