• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can Out of Staters UOC in CA

wewd

imported post

Last time I checked, we still had the freedom to travel in this country. Just don't bring in any magazines over 10 rounds.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

since9 wrote:
Are there any additional restrictions for those of us who live out of state if we enter the state and choose to UOC?
No.

However, be aware that some firearms have features that cause some firearms to be considered "assault weapons" in CA (even though they're common firearms in your home state). Search Google for "CA AW ID Flowchart" and click any link that indicates the source is CalGuns.net.

Also, leave your "large-capacity" (anything holding more than 10 rounds) mags at home. Importing (even for personal use with no intent to sell) is banned, unless you possessed them in the state of CA at some point prior to the ban (and can prove that).

Also, pistols with certain cool features (like a threaded barrel or forward pistol grip) are considered AWs. So, if you have anything not lame you might want to list a make/model or post a picture and we'll try to help you figure out if the firearm will try to smother kittens once it enters the great state of CA.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

since9 wrote:
Are there any additional restrictions for those of us who live out of state if we enter the state and choose to UOC?
And you can carry openly loaded in unincorporated areas where the County has not banned shooting as well.

OPS MARINE

imported post

Keep in mind also what California Penal Code 12026(b) tells us:

12026(b) No permit or license to purchase, own, possess, keep, or carry, either openly or concealed, shall be required of any citizen of the United States or legal resident over the age of 18 who resides or is temporarily within this state ... to purchase, own, possess, keep, or carry, either openly or concealed, a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person within the citizen's or legal resident's place of residence, place of business, or on private property owned or lawfully possessed by the citizen or legal resident.

(c) Nothing in this section shall be construed as affecting the application of Section 12031.

As long as one complies with 12025 (does not conceal) and 12031 (does not load the firearm under most circumstances), and avoids the other pitfalls, then he/she is legally open carrying, and sections 12026.2 and 12026.2 are unnecessary.

I hope that helps.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

wewd wrote:
Last time I checked, we still had the freedom to travel in this country. Just don't bring in any magazines over 10 rounds.
Doah! Mine holds 16... Anyone know of any 10-shot clips for a CZ 85 B?

Thank you for all the replies, particularly the penal code links, as now I know where to search for the rest.