• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Day OCing

repojoker

imported post

Today I decided to rock the new XD. Today was the first day actually OCing. I went to help my mom out doing some household shopping at Sam's Club off of I70 & Wads. Had no negative outcome there or didn't really notice any adverse reactions. Later on around 7 I went to Best Buy in Denver West with one of my friends. No negative reactions there and no issues. My mom was always a little skeptical about OC, but didn't even notice I was carrying a full size 40 the whole time until I went Best Buy.

Suburban78

imported post

Sound's like a good day! Thanks for joining our fight to protect our selfs, our family's and our rights. If you haven't already, do a little research about the Law's that correspond to OC'ing so that one time that you do get stopped, you'll have the appropriate ammunition the fight back with. And PLEASE, if(when)a confrontation happens, be polite, friendly and informative. And if it is a citizen, listen to them and don't just shrug them off. Every negative (3) encounter I have had turned out good through polite talking and listening to the person and all 3 have ended with a hand shake. Good luck and be safe.
Thank you
Suburban78

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Sounds like how every OC experience should go. Carry on!

repojoker

imported post

Suburban78 wrote:
Sound's like a good day! Thanks for joining our fight to protect our selfs, our family's and our rights. If you haven't already, do a little research about the Law's that correspond to OC'ing so that one time that you do get stopped, you'll have the appropriate ammunition the fight back with. And PLEASE, if(when)a confrontation happens, be polite, friendly and informative. And if it is a citizen, listen to them and don't just shrug them off. Every negative (3) encounter I have had turned out good through polite talking and listening to the person and all 3 have ended with a hand shake. Good luck and be safe.
Thank you
Suburban78

Oh with my parents owning a repossession company and us being bounty hunters I know to deal with cops politely. I keep all laws and corresponding statutes with me in my own format as well as an app for my iPhone (iBearArms) that consistently updates all statutes in every state. Just wish they made it for BlackBerry so I wouldn't have to carry around both phones all the time. I have no reason to be rude towards anyone and don't want people to get the impression that people who practice their rights responsibly are a holes.

repojoker

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
I just had my motorcycle repo'd

lmao that was probably you guys! :cuss: no lol :D

Lol we don't deal with motorcycles too much just because they're a pain.

cscitney87

imported post

repojoker wrote:
cscitney87 wrote:

funny you say that- the guy came with the longest flatbed trailer I ever saw in my life.. My bike's 300lbs with me on it hahahaha

Back on topic- Time to get out to the Belmar or something similar. OC is pretty "nuts" huh? I mean the feeling you get.. it's such a rush those first few times. I still get a crazy rush from time to time when I see a cop lol

repojoker

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
repojoker wrote:
cscitney87 wrote:

funny you say that- the guy came with the longest flatbed trailer I ever saw in my life..  My bike's 300lbs with me on it hahahaha

Back on topic- Time to get out to the Belmar or something similar.  OC is pretty "nuts" huh?  I mean the feeling you get.. it's such a rush those first few times.  I still get a crazy rush from time to time when I see a cop lol

Yea I'm down to go down there. I'm nuts for living, but this is a totally different thing. Haven't seen any cops yet as yesterday was my actual first day. I have kinda of a big mouth when it comes to manners i.e. not saying thanks when I hold the door or something like that, but when I'm carrying makes me a little more polite. I found it funny that in Sam's Club this guy was behind me, XD in plain view, didn't say a thing just waited till I moved.

cscitney87

imported post

repojoker wrote:
cscitney87 wrote:
repojoker wrote:
cscitney87 wrote:

funny you say that- the guy came with the longest flatbed trailer I ever saw in my life.. My bike's 300lbs with me on it hahahaha

Back on topic- Time to get out to the Belmar or something similar. OC is pretty "nuts" huh? I mean the feeling you get.. it's such a rush those first few times. I still get a crazy rush from time to time when I see a cop lol

Yea I'm down to go down there. I'm nuts for living, but this is a totally different thing. Haven't seen any cops yet as yesterday was my actual first day. I have kinda of a big mouth when it comes to manners i.e. not saying thanks when I hold the door or something like that, but when I'm carrying makes me a little more polite. I found it funny that in Sam's Club this guy was behind me, XD in plain view, didn't say a thing just waited till I moved.
As an OC "activist" you are also a role model for others. I always say that literally everytime somebody sees you OC and nothing bad happens- that person thinks somewhere in their mind or heart "that wasn't so bad"- generally reaffirming and justifying the practice. There are more children than adults in half the settings one may be in- any child that sees your gun and sees no negative consequences may be the next generation of OC "activists". Again, welcome to the board and OC, friend.

Suburban78

imported post

repojoker wrote:
Suburban78 wrote:
Thank you
Suburban78

Oh with my parents owning a repossession company and us being bounty hunters I know to deal with cops politely. I keep all laws and corresponding statutes with me in my own format as well as an app for my iPhone (iBearArms) that consistently updates all statutes in every state. Just wish they made it for BlackBerry so I wouldn't have to carry around both phones all the time. I have no reason to be rude towards anyone and don't want people to get the impression that people who practice their rights responsibly are a holes.
That is good, to often I see folks on here that have some rude or short answer for people(citizens)who say something to them when OC'ing. I feel that only hurts our cause. Look forward to meeting you soon at an OC gathering.
Thank's
Suburban78

repojoker

imported post

Suburban78 wrote:
repojoker wrote:
Suburban78 wrote:
Thank you
Suburban78

That is good, to often I see folks on here that have some rude or short answer for people(citizens)who say something to them when OC'ing. I feel that only hurts our cause. Look forward to meeting soon you at an OC gathering.
Thank's
Suburban78

Likewise, I hope I get meet a few people on here at the next gathering.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

repojoker wrote:
Today I decided to rock the new XD. Today was the first day actually OCing. I went to help my mom out doing some household shopping at Sam's Club off of I70 & Wads. Had no negative outcome there or didn't really notice any adverse reactions. Later on around 7 I went to Best Buy in Denver West with one of my friends. No negative reactions there and no issues. My mom was always a little skeptical about OC, but didn't even notice I was carrying a full size 40 the whole time until I went Best Buy.

LoL, about Moms, my own is in town, and twice I've visited them while open carrying. My Dad noticed instantly, but my Mom didn't notice until second time, and only then after we got into a discussion the other night wherein she said, "I fully support your right to open carry, but if you come into my house, I would ask that you leave your gun in the other room!"

I reasponded by saying, "Sure Mom! You know how much I love you," standing up from the kitchen table, unholstering my weapon, handing it to my father, and saying, "Sir, please check that, if you would!"

My Mom was dumbfounded at the fact that I'd spent several visits with her with a loaded gun on my hip, helping her in the kitchen, cooking. She said, "I thought there was something, there, but I didn't think it was a gun!"

LoL, I love you Mom!

In the 80s, she went through a female self defence program sponsored by the county sheriff's office. It include various self-defence techniques, and culimated in a .38 revolver competancy program, which she passed with flying colors.

Go Mom!

My point is two-fold.

First, even those who're fully aware and supportive of the right to bear arms, no matter how close to you they may be, (and Mom and I are very close), they may not wish you to carry in their homes. That's ok! I simply unholstered my weapon as per her request and put it in the other room before returning to the Kitchen table.

Put simply, we must always respect the rights of the individual home owner, no matter how close to them we may be, nor how strict their demands.

Their home is their domain.

Second, is that there were no kids in the home, and I put it in such a place as to allay Mom's fears while being able to get at it in less than three seconds.

Now - if she had said I was welcome so long as I didn't bring a gun into her home, would I have still seen her for dinner?

Of course! She's my Mom, and I love her!

Oye vey... Life.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Suburban78 wrote:
To often I see folks on here that have some rude or short answer for people(citizens)who say something to them when OC'ing. I feel that only hurts our cause. Look forward to meeting you soon at an OC gathering.
Thank's
Suburban78
Agreed. Calm quiet, rational, law-abiding action is the ticket to progress. Sensationalism will only be senationalized, to our detriment, by the media.

cscitney87

imported post

since9 - Both my parents are honorably discharged military. Both! Neither one of them has a gun in the house and neither one of them sees any need for a fire arm. It breaks my heart, but I'll never live life in their shoes- been where they've been.. So it's whatever- I just leave my pistol in my truck, outside.

On a side note- my parents taught me to shoot when I was a Boyscout.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
since9 - Both my parents are honorably discharged military. Both! Neither one of them has a gun in the house and neither one of them sees any need for a fire arm. It breaks my heart, but I'll never live life in their shoes- been where they've been.. So it's whatever- I just leave my pistol in my truck, outside.

On a side note- my parents taught me to shoot when I was a Boyscout.

Wow. I see and understand the dichotomy.

OC seems sort of funny with me, as I'm fairly new to it, at least as a civilian. I've been shooting since I was nine, hence my username, and I've CC'd since 1991 (off and on, depending on the state in which I was stationed). I've also open carried while in the military, constantly in Iraq and almost always any time wewere in anysort of hostile fire zone.

So I'm no stranger to firearms, their proper care and feeding, their use, or carrying them openly in the performance of my duties.

I've even become used openly carrying between my parking spot and my apartment. But still, when I walk into a local store in open carry mode, I'm leery of the response by store personnel and customers.

To date, I've never encountered an LEO while in OC. I reasonably believe any such encounter would prove to be amicable, as I'm a non-contentious, friendly, law-abiding citizen. However, given some of the horrors stories I've read here and seen online, I do have doubts.

Regardless, I have had several encounteres with both on and off-duty LEOs while in CC, and the responses were very positive. I simply volunteered that I was licensed to CC and was currently carrying. They simply asked to see my permit, and that was that.

One of these days, I'll probably ask to speak with one of the supervising LEOs at the local station, get his opinion, share my experience, and express my desire to work towards a better relationship between the LEO's and those of us who carry firearms in a lawful manner.

cscitney87

imported post

since9 wrote:
I've even become used openly carrying between my parking spot and my apartment. But still, when I walk into a local store in open carry mode, I'm leery of the response by store personnel and customers.

To date, I've never encountered an LEO while in OC. I reasonably believe any such encounter would prove to be amicable, as I'm a non-contentious, friendly, law-abiding citizen. However, given some of the horrors stories I've read here and seen online, I do have doubts.
I live in a condominium complex. I have that walk from the parking lot to the front door. Also I have to walk into the heart of the complex to get my mail and do laundry. I carry literally the entire time.

On a side note.. I've always wondered if the complex is considered private or somewhat public property? The HOA/Complex does not have any regulations on firearms anyway.

We have a pool in our complex. I will be using it. I will be walking around, shirtless, shorts, and my .45 on my hip. I will be hanging out around the pool too. So I'm almost 100% sure that I will see a cop for that. I haven't yet seen a single cop while I OC. At least I'll be in my own complex. That being said I know it's going to be a HUGE issue at the time because of all the children and "strangers" (neighbors). Children EVERYWHERE. I think the cops will show up in force and try to make me put it away no matter what. I wish I wish I wish I had another OC guy friend with me to help with that battle lol cuz it's coming.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
since9 wrote:

I live in a condominium complex. I have that walk from the parking lot to the front door. Also I have to walk into the heart of the complex to get my mail and do laundry. I carry literally the entire time.

On a side note.. I've always wondered if the complex is considered private or somewhat public property? The HOA/Complex does not have any regulations on firearms anyway.

We have a pool in our complex. I will be using it. I will be walking around, shirtless, shorts, and my .45 on my hip. I will be hanging out around the pool too. So I'm almost 100% sure that I will see a cop for that. I haven't yet seen a single cop while I OC. At least I'll be in my own complex. That being said I know it's going to be a HUGE issue at the time because of all the children and "strangers" (neighbors). Children EVERYWHERE. I think the cops will show up in force and try to make me put it away no matter what. I wish I wish I wish I had another OC guy friend with me to help with that battle lol cuz it's coming.
Well, why make it a battle? In college I managed pool complexes, and know the laws. It's considered joint private/public property, but the apt complex (aka "owner") reserves full right/authority to shut it down and bar entrance at any time and for any reason.

I'm all for OC. I am also against railing against every single facet of the issue as it doesn't help our cause. Instead, it hurts us by painting the incorrect picture that most of us are fanatics when we're not.

Seriously - you may gain the legal right to OC at your pool without LEO intervention, but would wind up merely vacating the pool and would loose due to legislation introduced by hand-shaking mothers whose kids were "voided an entire summer at the pool."

Again, going back to my four years as a pool complex manager in two states, not once did I ever encounter any activity remotely requiring the use of firearms. On once occasion, I forcefully escorted a patron who used force on myself and others in an attempt to get his way. Aikido is indeed a very useful tool! I simply walked him to the perimeter in an elbow lock, locked the gate, and called the apartment complex manager. A lawsuit was threatened, but we had security cams... No dice. Nor did I ever hurt the guy - that's one of the watchwords of aikido - "to protect the attacker."

While carrying a gun, so I'm not likely, Aikido or not, to allow a perp into my defense zone. If I'm not carrying, the only way to affect a change, aside from running, s to allow the perp into the defence zone.

cscitney87

imported post

since9 wrote:
cscitney87 wrote:
since9 wrote:

Well, why make it a battle? In college I managed pool complexes, and know the laws. It's considered joint private/public property, but the apt complex (aka "owner") reserves full right/authority to shut it down and bar entrance at any time and for any reason.

I'm all for OC. I am also against railing against every single facet of the issue as it doesn't help our cause. Instead, it hurts us by painting the incorrect picture that most of us are fanatics when we're not.

Seriously - you may gain the legal right to OC at your pool without LEO intervention, but would wind up merely vacating the pool and would loose due to legislation introduced by hand-shaking mothers whose kids were "voided an entire summer at the pool."

Again, going back to my four years as a pool complex manager in two states, not once did I ever encounter any activity remotely requiring the use of firearms. On once occasion, I forcefully escorted a patron who used force on myself and others in an attempt to get his way. Aikido is indeed a very useful tool! I simply walked him to the perimeter in an elbow lock, locked the gate, and called the apartment complex manager. A lawsuit was threatened, but we had security cams... No dice. Nor did I ever hurt the guy - that's one of the watchwords of aikido - "to protect the attacker."

While carrying a gun, so I'm not likely, Aikido or not, to allow a perp into my defense zone. If I'm not carrying, the only way to affect a change, aside from running, s to allow the perp into the defence zone.
I'm sorry are you suggesting I don't carry my pistol? Even if it's just inside the pool zone. You are suggesting I disarm myself for the sake of the mothers with shaking hands? Or are you suggesting I disarm myself so I don't have to talk to a police officer? Either way I'm laughing. On this forum, It's funny that disarming would even be a suggestion, when and where it's legal to carry.

"gain, going back to my four years as a pool complex manager in two states, not once did I ever encounter any activity remotely requiring the use of firearms. "

You could say the same exact thing about many self defense stories on this board. There's a "first time for everything" and we are all prepared.

Edited for this funny joke: "If you can't handle the heat, stay out of the pool!" bwahahaa

Since9 wrote in another topic "For me, it's not about making someone else more comfortable. It's simply applying common-sense to the fact that nearly all people make judgments about others based on their appearance. It's simply an aspect of human, with evolutionary roots dating back millions of years."

And that's exactly how I approach this issue at the pool complex. It's not about making other people more comfortable. All people will make judgments about my appearance, including that iron on my hip. Having a gun, near a pool or not, is simply an aspect of humanity, with evolutionary roots dating back hundreds of years.

I think I've driven my point. I won't be disarming, even if it's at the pool near children and mothers. Any constructive thoughts?