Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Carrying in San Fran area?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Payson, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,146

    Post imported post

    Hey guys, I'm a former Californian! I moved to Utah a couple years back, and the OC laws are terrific out here!

    I just took my UT CWP class, and will probably be getting it in 2 months... which kinda sucks, because I might begoing back to CA for work! (I will stay a UT resident).

    I was just watching youtube videos about CA OCers, and I think you guys are GREAT! I see that some of the cops there ACTUALLY understand that it is legal!

    In the San Fran area, is it legal? Will I end up with a mouthful of pavement if I carry there?

    I see that I must carry it with no mag in it... or atleast an empty mag (which I would prefer) and the full mags must remain in the open, in mag holsters... So what do I do when I get back in the car? Should I lock up the handgun BEFORE I enter the vehicle? May the ammo remain on my hip while the handgun is locked up? Or must both be locked up separately?

    Thanks guys, COME VISIT UTAH! You will love it!

  2. #2
    Regular Member Gundude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sandy Eggo County
    Posts
    1,691

    Post imported post

    b1ack5mith wrote:
    Hey guys, I'm a former Californian! I moved to Utah a couple years back, and the OC laws are terrific out here!

    I just took my UT CWP class, and will probably be getting it in 2 months... which kinda sucks, because I might begoing back to CA for work! (I will stay a UT resident).

    I was just watching youtube videos about CA OCers, and I think you guys are GREAT! I see that some of the cops there ACTUALLY understand that it is legal!

    In the San Fran area, is it legal? Will I end up with a mouthful of pavement if I carry there?

    I see that I must carry it with no mag in it... or atleast an empty mag (which I would prefer) and the full mags must remain in the open, in mag holsters... So what do I do when I get back in the car? Should I lock up the handgun BEFORE I enter the vehicle? May the ammo remain on my hip while the handgun is locked up? Or must both be locked up separately?

    Thanks guys, COME VISIT UTAH! You will love it!
    You can UOC in your car, but it's probably a good idea to unload it and lock it up, but not in your glove box or console. In your trunk or a lockable container. You might drive within 1000' of a school.
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area, ,
    Posts
    78

    Post imported post

    Gundude wrote:
    b1ack5mith wrote:
    Hey guys, I'm a former Californian! I moved to Utah a couple years back, and the OC laws are terrific out here!

    I just took my UT CWP class, and will probably be getting it in 2 months... which kinda sucks, because I might begoing back to CA for work! (I will stay a UT resident).

    I was just watching youtube videos about CA OCers, and I think you guys are GREAT! I see that some of the cops there ACTUALLY understand that it is legal!

    In the San Fran area, is it legal? Will I end up with a mouthful of pavement if I carry there?

    I see that I must carry it with no mag in it... or atleast an empty mag (which I would prefer) and the full mags must remain in the open, in mag holsters... So what do I do when I get back in the car? Should I lock up the handgun BEFORE I enter the vehicle? May the ammo remain on my hip while the handgun is locked up? Or must both be locked up separately?

    Thanks guys, COME VISIT UTAH! You will love it!
    You can UOC in your car, but it's probably a good idea to unload it and lock it up, but not in your glove box or console. In your trunk or a lockable container. You might drive within 1000' of a school.
    That's the problem with UOC in your vehiclehere in California especially the Bay Area. If you're notpaying attention to your surroundings, you can easily come with 1000 ft. of a school and not even know it.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Payson, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,146

    Post imported post

    Good point! I will most likely be in the benecia area... is it more rural out there? I live in a small country town now, and I love it, we can go shooting just about anywhere out here.

    So, it IS legal to UOC in your car in CA? doesn't the ammo have to be locked up while UOCing?

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area, ,
    Posts
    78

    Post imported post

    b1ack5mith wrote:
    Good point! I will most likely be in the benecia area... is it more rural out there? I live in a small country town now, and I love it, we can go shooting just about anywhere out here.

    So, it IS legal to UOC in your car in CA? doesn't the ammo have to be locked up while UOCing?
    I live right across the way from Benicia. Benicia is a really small town but if you're going to be in the next city over which is Vallejo then I wouldn't do it. Too many schools in Vallejo. I think Vallejo is around 100,000 people. There's also a big commercial area in Benicia so if you're going to be confined to that area then I wouldn't worry about it. Plus that's a really safe area.

    You can UOC carry in your vehicle here in California. You just have to make sure your gun is unloaded and your loaded magazines are out in the open and not concealed. I'm pretty sure that what the law is but anyone can correct me on it if I'm wrong.

  6. #6
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Stanislaus County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,586

    Post imported post

    b1ack5mith wrote:
    ...So, it IS legal to UOC in your car in CA? doesn't the ammo have to be locked up while UOCing?
    Yes, the same rules apply while in the car as while on foot.

    No, the ammo doesn't have to be locked up while carrying. The only rule about ammo while carrying is it can't be inserted in the firearm in a way that makes it "loaded" as defined by case law.

    For more info I strongly recommend www.californiaopencarry.org and/or check for the newbie thread here in the CA section of this forum.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org


    Don't Tread On Me.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Payson, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,146

    Post imported post

    TY so much guys! I believe I will be in the commercial area of Benecia mostly, or just fishing off the shore most of the time

    Should I call their PD to warn them that I am openly carrying? We dont warn the PD out here, most of them leave us alone (except liberal cops and rookies).

    This sounds like fun! I'm pretty excited that benecia is basicly all shore, my favorite thing to do is go fishing, and I haven't gone ocean fishing since I was still in highschool!

  8. #8
    Regular Member mjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SoCal, , USA
    Posts
    979

    Post imported post

    b1ack5mith wrote:
    TY so much guys! I believe I will be in the commercial area of Benecia mostly, or just fishing off the shore most of the time

    Should I call their PD to warn them that I am openly carrying? We dont warn the PD out here, most of them leave us alone (except liberal cops and rookies).

    This sounds like fun! I'm pretty excited that benecia is basicly all shore, my favorite thing to do is go fishing, and I haven't gone ocean fishing since I was still in highschool!
    Please read this thread, it covers the bases with regard to the potential political consequences we are currently facing in this state.

    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/34424.html



  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area, ,
    Posts
    78

    Post imported post

    b1ack5mith wrote:
    TY so much guys! I believe I will be in the commercial area of Benecia mostly, or just fishing off the shore most of the time

    Should I call their PD to warn them that I am openly carrying? We dont warn the PD out here, most of them leave us alone (except liberal cops and rookies).

    This sounds like fun! I'm pretty excited that benecia is basicly all shore, my favorite thing to do is go fishing, and I haven't gone ocean fishing since I was still in highschool!
    I wouldn't call the police to inform them that you'll be open carrying in your vehicle. It's none of their business in the 1st place. Most of the LEO's out here don't like the fact that some people open carry.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2

    Post imported post

    You can't open carry within 1000 ft of a k-12 or university, which in my opinion, makes it impossible in the bay area.Unfortunately we've had some politicans and law makers that spoon fed alot of b.s. that we bought into. They successfully disarmed the general population, denied permits andgranted themselves, there family and friends permits.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Harrah, Oklahoma
    Posts
    769

    Post imported post

    chrisopinion wrote:
    You can't open carry within 1000 ft of a k-12 (public or private)or on the property of a university or college, which in my opinion, makes it impossible in the bay area.Unfortunately we've had some politicans and law makers that spoon fed alot of b.s. that we bought into. They successfully disarmed the general population, denied permits andgranted themselves, there family and friends permits.
    Fixed that for you in red. Please do your research and read the forum rules before you cause someone to mistakenly breaking the law. And the above mentioned penal code is 626.9
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...
    Stolen from ConditionThree because it can't be stressed enough.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •