• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying in San Fran area?

b1ack5mith

imported post

Hey guys, I'm a former Californian! I moved to Utah a couple years back, and the OC laws are terrific out here!

I just took my UT CWP class, and will probably be getting it in 2 months... which kinda sucks, because I might begoing back to CA for work! (I will stay a UT resident).

I was just watching youtube videos about CA OCers, and I think you guys are GREAT! I see that some of the cops there ACTUALLY understand that it is legal!

In the San Fran area, is it legal? Will I end up with a mouthful of pavement if I carry there?

I see that I must carry it with no mag in it... or atleast an empty mag (which I would prefer) and the full mags must remain in the open, in mag holsters... So what do I do when I get back in the car? Should I lock up the handgun BEFORE I enter the vehicle? May the ammo remain on my hip while the handgun is locked up? Or must both be locked up separately?

Thanks guys, COME VISIT UTAH! You will love it!

Gundude

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
Hey guys, I'm a former Californian! I moved to Utah a couple years back, and the OC laws are terrific out here!

I just took my UT CWP class, and will probably be getting it in 2 months... which kinda sucks, because I might begoing back to CA for work! (I will stay a UT resident).

I was just watching youtube videos about CA OCers, and I think you guys are GREAT! I see that some of the cops there ACTUALLY understand that it is legal!

In the San Fran area, is it legal? Will I end up with a mouthful of pavement if I carry there?

I see that I must carry it with no mag in it... or atleast an empty mag (which I would prefer) and the full mags must remain in the open, in mag holsters... So what do I do when I get back in the car? Should I lock up the handgun BEFORE I enter the vehicle? May the ammo remain on my hip while the handgun is locked up? Or must both be locked up separately?

You can UOC in your car, but it's probably a good idea to unload it and lock it up, but not in your glove box or console. In your trunk or a lockable container. You might drive within 1000' of a school.

Poblacht32

imported post

Gundude wrote:
b1ack5mith wrote:

You can UOC in your car, but it's probably a good idea to unload it and lock it up, but not in your glove box or console. In your trunk or a lockable container. You might drive within 1000' of a school.
That's the problem with UOC in your vehiclehere in California especially the Bay Area. If you're notpaying attention to your surroundings, you can easily come with 1000 ft. of a school and not even know it.

b1ack5mith

imported post

Good point! I will most likely be in the benecia area... is it more rural out there? I live in a small country town now, and I love it, we can go shooting just about anywhere out here.

So, it IS legal to UOC in your car in CA? doesn't the ammo have to be locked up while UOCing?

Poblacht32

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
Good point! I will most likely be in the benecia area... is it more rural out there? I live in a small country town now, and I love it, we can go shooting just about anywhere out here.

So, it IS legal to UOC in your car in CA? doesn't the ammo have to be locked up while UOCing?

I live right across the way from Benicia. Benicia is a really small town but if you're going to be in the next city over which is Vallejo then I wouldn't do it. Too many schools in Vallejo. I think Vallejo is around 100,000 people. There's also a big commercial area in Benicia so if you're going to be confined to that area then I wouldn't worry about it. Plus that's a really safe area.

You can UOC carry in your vehicle here in California. You just have to make sure your gun is unloaded and your loaded magazines are out in the open and not concealed. I'm pretty sure that what the law is but anyone can correct me on it if I'm wrong.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
...So, it IS legal to UOC in your car in CA? doesn't the ammo have to be locked up while UOCing?
Yes, the same rules apply while in the car as while on foot.

No, the ammo doesn't have to be locked up while carrying. The only rule about ammo while carrying is it can't be inserted in the firearm in a way that makes it "loaded" as defined by case law.

For more info I strongly recommend www.californiaopencarry.org and/or check for the newbie thread here in the CA section of this forum.

b1ack5mith

imported post

TY so much guys! I believe I will be in the commercial area of Benecia mostly, or just fishing off the shore most of the time :D

Should I call their PD to warn them that I am openly carrying? We dont warn the PD out here, most of them leave us alone (except liberal cops and rookies).

This sounds like fun! I'm pretty excited that benecia is basicly all shore, my favorite thing to do is go fishing, and I haven't gone ocean fishing since I was still in highschool!

mjones

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
TY so much guys! I believe I will be in the commercial area of Benecia mostly, or just fishing off the shore most of the time :D

Should I call their PD to warn them that I am openly carrying? We dont warn the PD out here, most of them leave us alone (except liberal cops and rookies).

This sounds like fun! I'm pretty excited that benecia is basicly all shore, my favorite thing to do is go fishing, and I haven't gone ocean fishing since I was still in highschool!

Please read this thread, it covers the bases with regard to the potential political consequences we are currently facing in this state.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/34424.html

Poblacht32

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:

I wouldn't call the police to inform them that you'll be open carrying in your vehicle. It's none of their business in the 1st place. Most of the LEO's out here don't like the fact that some people open carry.

chrisopinion

imported post

You can't open carry within 1000 ft of a k-12 or university, which in my opinion, makes it impossible in the bay area.Unfortunately we've had some politicans and law makers that spoon fed alot of b.s. that we bought into. They successfully disarmed the general population, denied permits andgranted themselves, there family and friends permits.

chewy352

imported post

chrisopinion wrote:
You can't open carry within 1000 ft of a k-12 (public or private)or on the property of a university or college, which in my opinion, makes it impossible in the bay area.Unfortunately we've had some politicans and law makers that spoon fed alot of b.s. that we bought into. They successfully disarmed the general population, denied permits andgranted themselves, there family and friends permits.
Fixed that for you in red. Please do your research and read the forum rules before you cause someone to mistakenly breaking the law. And the above mentioned penal code is 626.9