• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who's side are you on???

seetobelieve

imported post

"Therefore, I would encourage all LE folks to view us not as some sort of adversary, but simply as first-responders, as your allies. We're your eyes on the ground, your point men, the folks who first encounter an unlawful and potentially harmful situation to self, others, and property.

We're the ones who call you! Hopefully, you can get here in time! If not, we're prepared to defend ourselves and the lives of others as necessary until you do arrive. Sometimes the situation presents no opportunity to wait and we must take immediate action in accordance with local, state, and federal law to protect self, others, life, limb and property".

Ah yes, the noble "truth behind the cause"...except when your people are interviewedand break the facade with this all-too-real revelation..."When I have this on, I'm respected...". Sand-kicked in the face,lunch money taken goofs. When have any of you been an asset to LE or the communityyou disrupt with your actions?

bad_ace

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

seetobelieve wrote:
When have any of you been an asset to LE or the community you disrupt with your actions?    

Ah the statist in you shows his head. The scenario given was hypothetical, meant to show an alternative reality were LE trusted those they police.

Remember that news interviews edited days after and trimmed for time and effect can take peoples words out of contexts.

Disrupting the community!? Please, I open carry every day and the only disruption I've received is when a cops notices I'm carrying. The "community" could care less. It's a statist that believes his safety and welfare should take a backseat to the "Community".

Also keep in mind we have a large portion of Open Carriers that have "been an asset", whether in the police force for decades or the armed services. Please don't generalize us.

NightOwl

imported post

seetobelieve wrote:
When have any of you been an asset to LE or the communityyou disrupt with your actions?

Every time a someone sees one of the holstered firearms, and is deterred from committing a crime.

LE is disrupted by the actions of OCers because they choose to be. I've lived in Idaho the past several years, where loaded OC is legal (without a permit even, oh the humanity!!! lol), and OC'd every day. Care to know how many police I disrupted? Zero. I'll even throw in the community disruption as well...zero. Wait wait, there's more to the horror...I also disrupted...wait, nope there's no more to it, nobody was really bothered at all. I had a few folks ask me questions about it from time to time, but other than that, not a thing. They weren't 'disrupted' either, just curious. Generally left with a smile on their faces.

It's a matter of perspective. If you choose to react as 'OMG A CITIZEN OBEYING THE LAW :what:' then you can overreact all day long. Try training a dispatcher to ask pertinant questions 'yes sir/ma'am, I understand the individual has a clearly visible holstered firearm, which is legal. Are they committing a crime?' and suddenly you'll start noticing MWAG calls regarding OCers not resulting in PD getting dispatched. Where did I get this novel idea? I'll share that little secret with you too...from the way police dispatchers handle it in other states. Funny how getting dispatchers proper training results in less hassle for the field officers, Sgts, Lts, and Captains, don't you think? Seriously, we're not the people deciding to send out the helicopter and large groups of officers at great taxpayer expense, to do...um...nothing.

Honestly, I'd love to know why police keep insisting on dispatching themselves to calls of 'Person obeying the law'. Next thing you know, they'll be showing up with guns drawn and a helicopter overhead for someone flying a kite in a park, or walking down the sidewalk, or even enjoying a picnic!

Note: I love these one-hit-wonders. I don't care if it's the same person with a new SN every time, or different people who don't log in twice. It's still getting some decent discussion of the issues out there for people to google up. Thanks for helping us spread the word!

coolusername2007

imported post

yelohamr wrote:
cato wrote:
one post wonders...:(
They can't take the heat and get out of the kitchen.
That's because they just don't get it. Theywouldn't know what ladyliberty looks like even if shewalked up and smacked them upside the head with a big fish. It takes an informed citizenry to maintain our Republic and we've been asleep for so long its gonna take awhile to get all the cobwebs out of their eyes and ears.

bad_ace

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Good 911 dispatchers: I'm reminded of a story my wife told me when we were dating. I met her in Tennessee, where she had grown up her entire life. One year she got a new school teacher from out of state.

The teacher came in telling the story of the barn fire she had witnessed while driving into school. She had called 911. The dispatcher asked her some strange questions like "Do you see any flames?". The students who most of which spent their summers on the tobacco farms got a good laugh.

You see the teacher had witnessed a barn used to smoke "dark fire" tobacco. The dispatcher knew this and explained to the woman that everything was fine but that she'd call down to that farm to double check.

3881.jpg

Nopal

imported post

Awhile back, duringa friendly conversation with a local officer, I mentioned in passing thatI had a friend who'd told me about something called "open carry" and asked ifhe'd heard of it. His response was not unexpected: Bunch of guys fishing for lawsuits, disrupting the public, putting people in danger, yadda, yadda.

I then asked him how many of these "rebel-rousers" he'd met. His answer: None.

It seems that there are some cops out there who's mind has been made up for them. The're dictacted as to what their opinion should be and they're OK with that. That's a scary thought. That's also where the "us" vs. "them" attitude first originates.

Still, I am confident that there areplenty ofindependent-minded cops out there tochallenge this attitude and eventuallychange it.