• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealment Question???

Jay

imported post

Hello all I have a quick question. I have my pistol license now however with the cold weather I wear a coat when I am out and about. However part of the pistol holster sticks out from under the coat 3/4 of the holster is concealed. If I were to be questioned by a LE. Do I have to show him my gun license? Do I also need to show him my drivers license? Nothing has happened yet, but I am just curious if it should. What is my legal obligation to them?

Rattrapper

imported post

In all your other writings, you were get along, go along. As well as oohh! they are just doing thier job. Why change your ways now?

Jay

imported post

Rattrapper wrote:
In all your other writings, you were get along, go along. As well as oohh! they are just doing thier job. Why change your ways now?
I am trying to learn the right way

doobie

imported post

Me personally? "I've got a NH pistol/revolver license. Have a nice day." and walk away. But that's me. That is unless I wanted to get it on video and make a big deal out of it...

Jay

imported post

doobie wrote:
Me personally? "I've got a NH pistol/revolver license. Have a nice day." and walk away. But that's me. That is unless I wanted to get it on video and make a big deal out of it...
So I am not under any obligation to show it if an LE asks for it?

doobie

imported post

Jay wrote:
doobie wrote:
Nope, unless he has probable cause to believe you don't have a pistol/revolver license. Then if that were true, you'd have two charges, lying to an officer and unlawful concealment.

I think I've only shown ID once when I was stopped for OCing. The other times I didn't even give a name.

Jay

imported post

doobie wrote:
Jay wrote:
doobie wrote:
Nope, unless he has probable cause to believe you don't have a pistol/revolver license. Then if that were true, you'd have two charges, lying to an officer and unlawful concealment.

I think I've only shown ID once when I was stopped for OCing. The other times I didn't even give a name.
Okay thank you

summerof95

imported post

doobie wrote:
Jay wrote:
doobie wrote:

Hmm...
Concealing a pistol on your person is a crime, unless you have a permit.
If a LEO sees your gun under your jacket (bending over, or from a gust of wind), I'd say he certainly could ask you for a permit.

I think of it like this: you get your car registered, but you never put the little sticker on your plate. Can an officer ask to see you registration, or even your license?

Without registration, it's a crime to drive the car.
Without a permit, it's a crime to CC.

OC would be a different issue, as that doesn't require anything.

doobie

imported post

summerof95 wrote:
doobie wrote:
Jay wrote:
doobie wrote:

Hmm...
Concealing a pistol on your person is a crime, unless you have a permit.
If a LEO sees your gun under your jacket (bending over, or from a gust of wind), I'd say he certainly could ask you for a permit.

I think of it like this: you get your car registered, but you never put the little sticker on your plate. Can an officer ask to see you registration, or even your license?

Without registration, it's a crime to drive the car.
Without a permit, it's a crime to CC.

OC would be a different issue, as that doesn't require anything.
First, thankfully New Hampshire doesn't have permits.

"I have a pistol/revolver license. Have a good day."

"What reason do you have to believe I don't have a license?"

"No search warrant, no searchie."

Jeremy2141

imported post

Not to mention, that it's unlawful to drive a car without a drivers license, but you don't see police officers pulling over every car that has a driver in it to verify that they have a drivers license.

doobie

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XII/159/159-6-a.htm

159:6-a Confidentiality of Licenses. – Notwithstanding the provisions of RSA 91-A:4 or any other provision of law to the contrary, all papers and records, including applications, pertaining to the issuance of licenses pursuant to RSA 159:6 and all licenses issued pursuant to said section are subject to inspection only by law enforcement officials of the state or any political subdivision thereof or of the federal government while in the performance of official duties or upon written consent, for good cause shown, of the superior court in the county where said license was issued.
I'm pretty sure this is stating that the general public cannot see license information without written consent.... not that police have the "right" to see it whenever they want. That is why it is called 'confidentiality of licenses'.