• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What would you do??? or......Am I wrong???

scorpio_vette

imported post

So I believe in people protecting themselves and their families, and therefore carrying in any way shape or form should be your right. Now in wisconsin you can only open carry.

I'v been researching and learning as much as I can so I can properly and safely open carry.

BUT...................

1) The laws are so twisted, contradicting, un-certain with to many "gray areas".
2) the cops don't all agree on the same definition of the laws. if you ask 10 cops the same question, you'll get 7different answers. (i speak from experience regarding automotive and motorcycle laws. occasionally i will talk to cops regarding questions. because while i research the laws myself and familiarize myself with them, i also like to be prepared for what the cops are going to say regarding the matter)
3) without school zones being posted along the entire 1,000 foot perimeter, there is no way of knowing if you are entering one.
4) with stories going around like the recent one of the guy being arrested on his front porch for having a gun on him, it honestly makes me very very nervous. I CAN NOT afford the financial cost associated with stupid legal trouble, AND i really don't want to be locked up instead of being home taking care of my 11month old boy.
5) as an example, i still can't seem to get a clear answer regarding the difference between "school ZONE" and "school PREMISES" and carrying.

So as much as I believe people should have the right to carry to protect themselves, I can't find myself coming up with enough courage to face all of these troubles. which i believe is absolute bullshit. basically the law is forcing me to decide between protecting my family, or watching them be victims if something should happen. and that in turn really makes me think about concealed carrying (i didn't say i am, i said i was thinking about it). My wife has already mentioned that she was afraid of being harassed and violated by the cops and that while she also wants to carry, she would have to carry it concealed, or not carry at all.

So.............
Am I wrong for having these concerns???
What would you do???

32HR MAG

imported post

I have the same feelings as You.My wife also would carry,but is concerned with LE.I have gone on Google earth to check my small community for GFSZ areas.I feel that I have that figured out now.As far as the school zone goes.all I will suggest is to do a search on the WI forum and read on.I won't say my thoughts cause I may be wrong and someone more knowing will have a better way with words.

32HR MAG

imported post

I too have the same thoughts about maybe concealed carry.Like Uncle Ted says"The constitution is my right to carry".

gollbladder13

imported post

I agree, you have every right to be concerned. I think we've all had a moment where we wanted to say forget it and carry concealed. The key is to stay legal and work to change the laws for the better.

Look at it this way:

You can carry legally and you might have an encounter with a LEO. If you do, you might be detained (even if wrongfully). Then you will be fighting a legal battle for years, but it will be one you have a good chance of winning.

OR

You can carry illegally, and something might go wrong (you might print, bent the wrong way and your gun shows, you might accidentally and unknowingly give tell-signs and somebody notices), and the cops are called. Now you can guarantee you will lose your firearm and be issued a citation, if not arrested. Then you will be fighting a legal battle you have almost no chance of winning.

If you don't feel comfortable carrying, that's OK. I'm not going to judge you for it, as I was the same way for a long time. I hope you do decide to, but only for the right reasons (and it sounds like you've got the right reasons planned - defense of your family and yourself).

Either way, good luck.

protias

imported post

You aren't the only one who has thought that. I find all gun regulation laws BS.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

As with almost any fight to regain/retain rights, it is going to be an uphill battle. You would be surprised how many cops do not know the laws that they are entrusted to enforce.

Some will ticket or arrest you wrongfully for a plethora of different things and just let the courts sort it out later with no regards on how it will affect the arrested.

Yes open-carry is legal, yes there are currently prohibited places, yes a cop will apply the law wrongly, and yes some cops know O-C is legal but will harass you anyways because they do not like it.

Thereason for this treatmentrests only on us, we let them get to this point by giving them these powers in the first place. And nobody promised it would be easy to get these people out of power.

If you are not prepared to be harassed, I would say hold off for now and try to help the movement in other ways that will put less risk and hardship on your family

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
What would you do???
What I would do, based on your comments.

Use OCDO and organize a "meet." I am certain there are people on here who would meet you at a WalMart or Gander. Meet up with them, and DON'T carry, just shop with them while they carry. You will be amazed.......

After you do this a couple times, then you also carry. You start with those places that we "know" accept OC.

After a couple times like that, then you can try on your own.

A friend of mine once said, "when we are in a group, they leave us alone." Start your OC experience in a small group and then it will grow on it's own.

Just my $ 0.02

Carcharodon

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:

Use OCDO and organize a "meet." I am certain there are people on here who would meet you at a WalMart or Gander. Meet up with them, and DON'T carry, just shop with them while they carry. You will be amazed.......

After you do this a couple times, then you also carry. You start with those places that we "know" accept OC.

A friend of mine once said, "when we are in a group, they leave us alone." Start your OC experience in a small group and then it will grow on it's own.

Just my $ 0.02
I agree, anyone in the Appleton/Neenah area that wants to get together, PM me or post up. I will admit there are a few places I'm shy to go to OC but not many(for some reason I'm uncomfortable at places that sell guns?) I would be more than happy to accompany someone on their errands or whatever.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
scorpio_vette wrote:
What would you do???
What I would do, based on your comments.

Just my $ 0.02
I am in Green Bay for an OC meeting. :) I am not shy.

hardballer

imported post

If you really want things to change, you have to be as persistent as an AmWay Salesperson. Relentless, tenacious. Like a kid who wants "that" box of cereal or bag of cookies. That tenacious.

We also have to have each others backs. The real problem that I see is that not all gun owners are on board. I have spoken to guys I know to be avid hunters that think I am some kind of nut for carrying "out in the open for God's sake!"

At this point we are trying to make some lost ground back but I can tell you that if we as a gun owning community do not get together, one day they will be coming for your precious hunting rifle with the pretty wood stock and lovely engraving and beautiful Nikon or Leupold scope.

They will come after your evil Ruger 10-22 semi-automatic rifle, they will come after your coveted buck mark. They will finally come after your shotgun. and then after all these "sensible restrictions" have been put in place, they will then outright ban pointed knives, big sticks and rocks.

Either we will all stand together or we will fall apart. What happens next will determine what happens for many years to come.

Landose_theghost

imported post

hardballer wrote:
If you really want things to change, you have to be as persistent as an AmWay Salesperson. Relentless, tenacious. Like a kid who wants "that" box of cereal or bag of cookies. That tenacious.

We also have to have each others backs. The real problem that I see is that not all gun owners are on board. I have spoken to guys I know to be avid hunters that think I am some kind of nut for carrying "out in the open for God's sake!"

At this point we are trying to make some lost ground back but I can tell you that if we as a gun owning community do not get together, one day they will be coming for your precious hunting rifle with the pretty wood stock and lovely engraving and beautiful Nikon or Leupold scope.

They will come after your evil Ruger 10-22 semi-automatic rifle, they will come after your coveted buck mark. They will finally come after your shotgun. and then after all these "sensible restrictions" have been put in place, they will then outright ban pointed knives, big sticks and rocks.

Either we will all stand together or we will fall apart. What happens next will determine what happens for many years to come.
Very,Very true.

32HR MAG

imported post

The gun community is very much like say, purebred cattle breeders.Most any Angus breeder won't have anything to do with you and will put noses in the air,if you raise Texas Longhorns.
In the end. It is those that oppose that cause the most negative feedback from observers.I feel that is why our battle is such a hard one.We open carriers not only have the anti-gunners to fight but so many other gun owners.
If we had the support of even half the gun community.We would be golden.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

32HR MAG wrote:
The gun community is very much like say, purebred cattle breeders.Most any Angus breeder won't have anything to do with you and will put noses in the air,if you raise Texas Longhorns.
In the end. It is those that oppose that cause the most negative feedback from observers.I feel that is why our battle is such a hard one.We open carriers not only have the anti-gunners to fight but so many other gun owners.
If we had the support of even half the gun community.We would be golden.
yes, I very much agree with you.

Lurchiron

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
So the magic question then is:

How do we get through to the "hunters" and let them know we ARE them!

Put the paper targets down, buy a small game liecense & put a few miles on with the intention of spreading the word in the woods; not from the pulpit.

Just my .02

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Lurchiron wrote:
bnhcomputing wrote:

Put the paper targets down, buy a small game liecense & put a few miles on with the intention of spreading the word in the woods; not from the pulpit.

Just my .02
:? ok, what ever...

Lurchiron

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
Lurchiron wrote:
bnhcomputing wrote:

Just my .02
:? ok, what ever...

More flies with honey is all I was saying...at least ask(and maybe change)the hunter's opinion, before you ask for their vote.

That, and this land is WISCONSIN...after all!!!

32HR MAG

imported post

I grew up with firearms.I myself have never understood why we as firearm owners have this separation.I have hunted , and do consider myself as a hunter.

XDm-40_guy

imported post

Most of us have thought about this including me. Many people I've talked to have said if their life were in danger enough, they would conceal carry to protect their life and/or their family's life, and I can't say I would disagree. In Wisconsin it's a misdemeanor if caught CCing a firearm no matter how many times caught. That also is probably part of the problem with the criminals who carry guns for the wrong reasons and won't learn their lesson. But I guess if I were in enough danger I would maybe CC to protect my life and if I were to be caught it would be more worth the risk for protecting my life than if it were to be a felony charge.