• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry

wheelsxd9mm

imported post

Starting to open carry due to a threat on my life. My question is, I dont have conceal carry permit. If i open carry but my shirt is covering my weapon is that still open carry. I typically dont tuck in my shirt and want to carry on my waist. Not able to find a clear answer in New mexico statutes.

:question:

wheelsxd9mm

imported post

new to the forum but from what i am reading if its under the shirt it is considered concealed. I am so glad that this forum exists! And I am going to get my concealed carry permit asap!

MDA_II

imported post

Welcome to the forum, the NM forum tends to be a little slow but I've seen some increased activity lately.

You are correct, if it's under the shirt it's considered concealed.

As far as open carrying, NM is a good state overall for the most part. Just read the statutes and look around in this forum to see where you can and can't carry open (basically federal buildings, liquor selling establishments that sell for consumption on property as well as those that sell for OFF property. This means WalMarts, grocery stores,INSIDE a convience store [at the pump within the shadow of the car you are ok], resturants that sell alcohol, post office and any place that posts No Firearms)

Where are you located at ?

wheelsxd9mm

imported post

Thanks for the info It helps quite a bit to know I have resource of accurate info I currently reside in Rio Rancho NM

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

I was just upin Rio Rancho (and ABQ)the last 2 weeks of December (got back here Jan. 2nd). My sister lives on 35th Circle S.E. -- not far from the Village Inn (VI) across from Intel -- but I still don't know if VI is posted "no guns" or not.

Was hoping some OCing get-together was scheduled while I was in town but it seems not.

-- John D.

aadvark

imported post

Although it would not prove to be any kind of gainful tactical advantage, Concealed Carry of a Unloaded Firearm is Lawful.It is Lawful as it is not against the provisions of New Mexico Code 30-7-2(A).

However, if you want to Carry an Unloaded Concealed Firearm..., well, that is up to you to decide.

Open Carry, however, is Legal though..., and yes, the Firearm can be Loaded.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Carrying an unloadedhandgun concealedwould have at least one advantage: For someone who did not have a CC permit (for whatever reason), carrying an UNloaded handgun concealed would mean at least the gun was ON him/her...which sure beats the heck out of leaving the gun in the car or at home. AND, it satisfies Rule # 1, which is"Have a gun on you at all times."

Situational awarenss (what *I* depend on most so I am not surprised/bushwhacked) would be even MORE important in this situation, as you need enough "lead time" (when your radar goes off) to be able to load the weapon and ready it for action.

Still, I see carrying an unloaded handgun not at all "useless."

And for those CCing withouta permit, it IS the only way to doso legally...and avoid those pesky ARREST CHARGES that would be made otherwise. Even if they WERE made, it'd all sort out in the end...not so for carrying illegally (loaded with no CC permit).

Carry on...however one wants to do it,

-- John D.