Thread: SB 595: Transfer of firearms; criminal records check; penalties

Post imported post

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...?101+sum+SB595

Full Text

Transfer of firearms; criminal records check; penalties. Adds a definition of "firearms show vendor" and requires that a criminal background check be performed on the prospective transferee, if such transferee does not possess a concealed handgun permit, before the vendor may transfer firearms at a gun show. Under current law, only licensed dealers must obtain such a check. The bill also adds a definition of "promoter" and requires that the promoter of a gun show provide vendors with access to licensed dealers who will conduct the criminal background check.

Post imported post

TFred wrote:

Full Text

Transfer of firearms; criminal records check; penalties. Adds a definition of "firearms show vendor" and requires that a criminal background check be performed on the prospective transferee, if such transferee does not possess a concealed handgun permit, before the vendor may transfer firearms at a gun show. Under current law, only licensed dealers must obtain such a check. The bill also adds a definition of "promoter" and requires that the promoter of a gun show provide vendors with access to licensed dealers who will conduct the criminal background check.
    "Under current law, only licensed dealers CAN obtain such a check."

Post imported post

Companion bill in the House. I suspect the other side is going to push this one hard.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...101+sum+HB1234

Full Text

Transfer of firearms; criminal records check; penalties. Adds a definition of "firearms show vendor" and requires that a criminal history record information check be performed on the prospective transferee before the vendor may transfer firearms at a gun show. Under current law, only licensed dealers must obtain such a check. The bill also adds a definition of "promoter" and requires that the promoter of a gun show provide vendors with access to licensed dealers who will conduct the criminal background check.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    Companion bill in the House. I suspect the other side is going to push this one hard.

Not much question about that Fred.
    Considering the surprising attitude in the GA this year, it could pass also. This is one ALL gun owners have to stay on top of.

Post imported post

The bill also adds a definition of "promoter" and requires that the promoter of a gun show provide vendors with access to licensed dealers who will conduct the criminal background check.
    So now legitimate businesses would be conscripted by the "law" into that much more paperwork and processing?

Just another blatant attempt to "close the loophole" by the antis. They want to make sure all private property rights are stripped and that anything bought, sold, or made; anything made that is bought or sold; anything sold that is made or bought; anything bought that is sold or made; is catalogued and approved by some bureaucrat.

What a brilliant plan. That'll definitely work.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

While I don't like these bills (or my forthcoming suggestion): If this is for the good of the populace, the bill should require the VSP to man a background check station at each gun show and the state should bear the full cost of these background checks.
    ---

Post imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
    While I don't like these bills (or my forthcoming suggestion): If this is for the good of the populace, the bill should require the VSP to man a background check station at each gun show and the state should bear the full cost of these background checks.

Post imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
    I think one of these bills exempts CHP's

Post imported post

yep...there it is!

SB 595 Transfer of firearms; criminal records check; penalties.
    L. Louise Lucas | all patrons ... notes
    | add to my profiles another bill? Log in LIS Home - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Bills & Resolutions Members Committees Meetings Calendars Communications Minutes Statistics Lobbyist-in-a-Box [line] Summary as introduced:

Post imported post

wylde007 wrote:
    ... and that anything bought, sold, or made; anything made that is bought or sold; anything sold that is made or bought; anything bought that is sold or made; is catalogued and approved by some bureaucrat.
    Ha ha...

Lloyd Dobler: I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that.

TFred

Post imported post

@Tfred:

Glad someone was paying attention. Well done, sir.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post imported post

wylde007 wrote:
    @Tfred:

Glad someone was paying attention. Well done, sir.
    Sometimes it's scary what is floating around up in the old gray matter...

TFred

Post imported post

The full text is now out for both of these bills. SB595 does exempt CHP holders, and it also adds these two provisions:
    This section shall apply only to the premises leased by the promoter for the purposes of conducting a gun show.

(But both bills also say a firearms show means "the entire premises, including but not limited to parking areas")

This section shall not apply to the transfer of any antique firearms, curios, or relics as defined in § 18.2-308.2:2.
    Other than a couple other trivial editorial differences, the bills appear identical.

No provision to ensure the CHP is valid, nor any provision for CHPs issued from other states.

TFred

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    TFred wrote:

Full Text

"Under current law, only licensed dealers CAN obtain such a check."
    Exactly nova.

This bill is just antis sneaky way to shut down gunshows all together. Only licensed FFL dealers can obtain a Virginia State Police issued DIN to perform background checks with the Virginia State Police Firearms Transaction Center on a VSP SB-65 form. Also if a dealer is doing a background checks he'll also have to log the firearm into his boundbook and transfer it on a 4473. The ATF will not issue a FFL for dealers to just perform essentially transfers in this regard (they would have to have a retail location or be a gunsmith or manufacturer as well). The antis know this and I believe it's why they want to push this crap through to virtually end gunshows.
    armorer & notary public for VA Arms Co FFL/SOT
    https://www.facebook.com/virginiaarmscompany

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    TFred wrote:
    Considering the surprising attitude in the GA this year, it could pass also. This is one ALL gun owners have to stay on top of.
    What are you referring to with this comment?

Post imported post

DrMark wrote:
    peter nap wrote:
    TFred wrote:
    What are you referring to with this comment?

I was expecting a bang up year for gun owners and several other areas this year.
    While there is plenty of pro-gun rhetoric among the Members of the General Assembly, it is pretty shallow. I also don't see a lot of meat on most of the bills being introduced either.

It's shaping up to be a pretty dull year so far and if any of the anti bills get a foothold, they could well pass.
    I can't say if McDonnell will sign pro gun bills although I suspect he will...and I can't say if he will veto anti bills.

There will be a tremendous amount of time put into the budget and revenue generating or cost cutting. This alone will leave many bills in committee without being acted on.

That's public...I have some private feelings and information that I won't discuss. Not super secret knowledge, just casual, private discussions.

Lastly, I don't see the same enthusiasm among gun owners as last year. That's a gut feeling and Monday will give a better picture. I was discussing Hunt's defeat with one of the election officials last night and the single reason for it is shameful. It could have been avoided with just a small amount of participation rather than lip service.

As with all sessions, nothing's written in stone, so who knows.

Post imported post

To add some thoughts... uninvited, of course...

Last year we had a brick wall at the end of the process, a Governor who was most eager to satisfy his masters by vetoing anything remotely pro-RKBA that might manage to get through the GA.

That obstacle provided us with a lot of motivation; we knew that we not only had to pass bills, but pass them well enough to override a veto. And that is what it took for some of them.

At the same time, that brick wall at the end gave some marginal members a "safe" vote in support of our desired legislation. It's the same kind of politicking that goes on in every legislative body. They knew the Governor would veto it, so they could placate the masses by voting "aye".

This year that brick wall is gone, so these marginal members know very well that their votes are going to actually count. For this reason I suspect some of the vetoed bills that easily passed last year will face a tougher road this year.

Finally, I've heard that the Democrats are feeling giddy after their razor thin win of Cuccinelli's seat. Even though a NoVa district would normally not even be close, much less won by a Republican, I'm sure they are all too eager to forget their Deeds disaster, and choose to think that Virginia has suddenly forgotten the reform package we sent to Richmond last fall.

With any luck and some good fortune, maybe Tuesday's results in Massachusetts will quiet them down again. I wonder just how large a margin Brown's victory has to be, before it is "cheat proof" from the Democrats?

TFred

ETfix: come-on, really... wook?

Post imported post

Very good points Tfred. I hope we keep them on their toes.
    armorer & notary public for VA Arms Co FFL/SOT
    https://www.facebook.com/virginiaarmscompany

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    To add some thoughts... uninvited, of course...
    I didn't think you needed an invitation to give good information Fred.

There is another variable in this years wheel of fortune and that's next years election.

They are all posturing for their platform next term. The economy sucks and we all know it isn't going to get much better by next November.

McDonnell has made a lot of promises that will take a magic wand to come true, and if they do, not in a year.
    How well this year goes for gun owners depends on just how strong the fence sitters think the gun lobby is.

They're wondering if they will get more votes from pro gun or anti gun, when the job market is still rock bottom, the roads are full of potholes and their constituents are looking for someone to put in that noose they're carrying.

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    I was expecting a bang up year for gun owners and several other areas this year.
    While there is plenty of pro-gun rhetoric among the Members of the General Assembly, it is pretty shallow. I also don't see a lot of meat on most of the bills being introduced either.

It's shaping up to be a pretty dull year so far and if any of the anti bills get a foothold, they could well pass.
    I can't say if McDonnell will sign pro gun bills although I suspect he will...and I can't say if he will veto anti bills.

There will be a tremendous amount of time put into the budget and revenue generating or cost cutting. This alone will leave many bills in committee without being acted on.

That's public...I have some private feelings and information that I won't discuss. Not super secret knowledge, just casual, private discussions.

Lastly, I don't see the same enthusiasm among gun owners as last year. That's a gut feeling and Monday will give a better picture. I was discussing Hunt's defeat with one of the election officials last night and the single reason for it is shameful. It could have been avoided with just a small amount of participation rather than lip service.

As with all sessions, nothing's written in stone, so who knows.
    I wonder if the Republicans have learned the full lesson of the last few Election Cycles.

It's not enough to proclaim fealty to the Ninth and Tenth Amendments and think they are better than the so-called Progressives. If Republicans still favor more and more power for cops and prosecutors, then the Republicans are just as Statist as the Left, albeit in a different direction.

Limited Government means Limited Authority for everyone in Government, Federal, State, and Local.

Only when the authorities are truly subservient to the people can the sovereign truly be free.

Post imported post

Up to $17 in fees to sell your private property.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

Under this proposed legislation, can an 18-20 year old purchase a handgun?
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

Actually I have changed my mind about this bill. I think this bill should be labeled the Gun Buyback Prohibition Bill.

The buybacks meet the definition of firearms show.

There is no exemption for towns, cities or counties.

SInce towns, cities and counties cannot have concealed carry permits, they must follow a procedure which will not be allowed by NICS, as government entities are exempt from NICS.

No way for a town, city or county to be in compliance during a gun buy back.

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Post imported post

I believe a
    BOOYAH
    is in order.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c