Thread: "Mall at Sears" in Anchorage, AK posts sign requiring open carry

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Banned

Post imported post

I almost hope this catches on.

Post imported post

Yeah, I don't know. I think "Alaska Carry" is a great way to go, and when you're doing anything outdoors in bear country, not carrying is not smart.

But whether one is carrying openly or concealed really makes very little difference in terrms of response time. Probably faster with open carry.

Was there any reason for prohibiting concealed carry?
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Is the issue really disallowing CC or is the intent to not allow any firearms?

I know what the sign says and I would argue that OCing would be in accordance with the sign also; nevertheless, shopping centers, malls et al are notoriously bad about how they word their signs.

What is the practical day-to-day application there? Is OC in fact golden.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Though I could not see the sign (do to the work computer I am on) I would think that more businesses would encourage more OC. A law abiding citizen (customer) with a gun is cheep security for a store. As a matter of fact the security firm (customer) pays the owner. I see that as a win win.

What would a criminal want to rob first, a place were he can see that people carry or a place he thinks they are not?
    Don't confuse me with the facts, I have my emotions!

I guess that's the difference between no crime and "stopping" a crime in progress. I prefer no crime.

Post imported post

I'm in there probably a couple times a month and haven't had any Sears people say anything to me yet.

Post imported post

Where is the sign? Is it on all doors?

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

I know what the sign says and I would argue that OCing would be in accordance with the sign also; nevertheless, shopping centers, malls et al are notoriously bad about how they word their signs.

Yata hey
    Most people CC in Alaska unless doing something specifically outdoors-ish in my experience. Mostly due to weather reasons and the convenience factor when wearing layers.

Chances are the corporate minded people who ordered the sign placement don't have the slightest fathom that OC of a firearm is legal and they thought they were covering all their bases by using the typical media understood phraseology for "no guns".

Or...they COULD know exactly what they were doing, and simply be attempting to curb a CC practice they understand exists in the state, in a way that has no practical effect one way or another.

Probably following the flawed liberal thinking that a sign somehow "forces" patrons to do something, and if a criminal-type sees the sign and is "forced" to open carry, he will think twice before entering the establishment at all. :quirky

A "gun free zone" by any other name and all that...

If I were still in Alaska, I would be tempted to go talk to the management and get their motives behind the sign. One way or another, it still goes against their general corporate policy to follow state law on the matter of allowing firearms.

Post imported post

The way I read it.....I would not like that sign at all.

Post imported post

I dont think signs like that are even legal but more to the point, if you are CCing, how would they know?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Archsgurl wrote:
    I dont think signs like that are even legal but more to the point, if you are CCing, how would they know?

You mean.... you wouldn't tell them?:shock:

OH Dear.... this is a very disconcerning development. :?

Post imported post

Is it their business whether I am CCing? No it isnt, so yea if I was CCing, I wouldnt tell them.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Archsgurl wrote:
    Is it their business whether I am CCing? No it isnt, so yea if I was CCing, I wouldnt tell them.
    You are sooo bad.

Post imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
    Archsgurl wrote:
    You are sooo bad.

Post imported post

Archsgurl wrote:
    Task Force 16 wrote:
    Archsgurl wrote:
    You are sooo bad.
    Hey! Get a room already!

Just not one with a "no guns" sign.... :P

Post imported post

FMCDH wrote:
    Archsgurl wrote:
    Task Force 16 wrote:
    Archsgurl wrote:
    You are sooo bad.
    Hey! Get a room already!

Just not one with a "no guns" sign.... :P
    :P:P

I am so glad that I dont go to Anchorage often, maybe once to twice a year. I am sure I will end up carrying in places that have that stupid "No firearms sign" somewhere. hmmm this is gonna make the next trip to Anchorage exciting.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
    I agree, the wording my be poor. Or they may just believe CCers are up to no good...

Has anyone OCed there since the sign was placed?

Its hard to OC in Michigan in the winter, I'm sure that would be magnified in AK

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama

Post imported post

This is what my state (Alabama) needs it businesses to do, but someone sees a gun and they panic. People out here don't want to see guns. If only they knew... they are probably around a gun must of the day and never know it.