• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Mall at Sears" in Anchorage, AK posts sign requiring open carry

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yeah, I don't know. I think "Alaska Carry" is a great way to go, and when you're doing anything outdoors in bear country, not carrying is not smart.

But whether one is carrying openly or concealed really makes very little difference in terrms of response time. Probably faster with open carry.

Was there any reason for prohibiting concealed carry?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Is the issue really disallowing CC or is the intent to not allow any firearms?

I know what the sign says and I would argue that OCing would be in accordance with the sign also; nevertheless, shopping centers, malls et al are notoriously bad about how they word their signs.

What is the practical day-to-day application there? Is OC in fact golden.

Yata hey

Packer fan

imported post

Though I could not see the sign (do to the work computer I am on) I would think that more businesses would encourage more OC. A law abiding citizen (customer) with a gun is cheep security for a store. As a matter of fact the security firm (customer) pays the owner. I see that as a win win.

What would a criminal want to rob first, a place were he can see that people carry or a place he thinks they are not?

FMCDH

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

I know what the sign says and I would argue that OCing would be in accordance with the sign also; nevertheless, shopping centers, malls et al are notoriously bad about how they word their signs.

Yata hey
Most people CC in Alaska unless doing something specifically outdoors-ish in my experience. Mostly due to weather reasons and the convenience factor when wearing layers.

Chances are the corporate minded people who ordered the sign placement don't have the slightest fathom that OC of a firearm is legal and they thought they were covering all their bases by using the typical media understood phraseology for "no guns".

Or...they COULD know exactly what they were doing, and simply be attempting to curb a CC practice they understand exists in the state, in a way that has no practical effect one way or another.

Probably following the flawed liberal thinking that a sign somehow "forces" patrons to do something, and if a criminal-type sees the sign and is "forced" to open carry, he will think twice before entering the establishment at all. :quirky

A "gun free zone" by any other name and all that...

If I were still in Alaska, I would be tempted to go talk to the management and get their motives behind the sign. One way or another, it still goes against their general corporate policy to follow state law on the matter of allowing firearms.

Archsgurl

imported post

FMCDH wrote:
Archsgurl wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
Archsgurl wrote:
Is it their business whether I am CCing? No it isnt, so yea if I was CCing, I wouldnt tell them. ;)
You are sooo bad. :lol:

:lol::lol:
Hey! Get a room already!

Just not one with a "no guns" sign.... :p ;)
:p:p

I am so glad that I dont go to Anchorage often, maybe once to twice a year. I am sure I will end up carrying in places that have that stupid "No firearms sign" somewhere. hmmm this is gonna make the next trip to Anchorage exciting. :lol::lol:

BreakingTheMold

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
I agree, the wording my be poor. Or they may just believe CCers are up to no good...

Has anyone OCed there since the sign was placed?

Its hard to OC in Michigan in the winter, I'm sure that would be magnified in AK