• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

a story of open carry in charlotte,nc

stang1988

imported post

iIn september of 2009 I was in Charlotte,nc in the univercity area. I had stoped to get a sandwich from the golden archs when I locked my keys in my car. I went in and asked the manager for a coat hanger and told him what happened. He said he couldnt help me, so finding one in the parking lot I proceded with trying to get in my car. Maybe five min go by when I hear tires locking up and two officers jump out of there car with weapons aimed at me. They proceded to handcuff me and put me in the back of the car. After running my gun , plate and DL. They say that I am ok to go but that I couldnt try and get into my car anymore that I had to call someone and get them to bring me a key or call a locksmith. They told me that the manager had called i a car theft by a armed person . My question is this

were they legal drawing there weapons on me before seeing the situation with there own eyes

were they legal handcuffing me

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

stang1988 wrote:
iIn september of 2009 I was in Charlotte,nc in the univercity area. I had stoped to get a sandwich from the golden archs when I locked my keys in my car. I went in and asked the manager for a coat hanger and told him what happened. He said he couldnt help me, so finding one in the parking lot I proceded with trying to get in my car. Maybe five min go by when I hear tires locking up and two officers jump out of there car with weapons aimed at me. They proceded to handcuff me and put me in the back of the car. After running my gun , plate and DL. They say that I am ok to go but that I couldnt try and get into my car anymore that I had to call someone and get them to bring me a key or call a locksmith. They told me that the manager had called i a car theft by a armed person . My question is this

were they legal drawing there weapons on me before seeing the situation with there own eyes

That was, perhaps, an example of a possible crime in progress by an armed person. They don't have to be immediately aware of your situation because they can't. If there were already there and were somewhat aware of your situation, then it would have turned out different, but what they saw was, a man with a gun, breaking into a car.

Were their actions legal? Well, to say it simply, it can be argued that their actions were in deed justified. Regardless of what the manager told them (and perhaps he was a fool) arrival on scene, they see something suspicious and possibly criminal, they perhaps did their jobs.

The only thing I cannot agree with regarding their actions is telling you that you could not break into your own car. That, simply, is poppycock.

Scrub

imported post

stang1988 wrote:

Based on the call they received and what they saw upon arrival, I find it a bit difficult to call their actions into question ................ what I do question is the motive of the McD manager calling it in like he did. If I read correctly you had actually spoken to the manager and he was aware of the situation. What reason did he have to suspect you were stealing the car? OR, did he have a hidden agenda?

REX681959

imported post

I would get a copy of the 911 call just to see EXACTLY who called & what was said. Then go from there. Not saying the LEOs were lying but you don't know what was reported.