• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

(D) lawmakers who DO NOT support the knee jerk reaction AWB legislation

Window_Seat

imported post

Hay all. Let this be the "Lawmakers who DO NOT support the knee jerk reaction AWB legislation in Washington State. In the title, I put a (D) before the topic title, and decided to remove it, but can't. The reason, it doesn't really matter what party affiliation they are after giving it a bit more thought.

Senator Pridemore DOES NOT support the legislation according to the telephone conversation I just had with his office staff.

Representative Jim Jacks DOES NOT support the legislation either.

Both are Democrats. I was also told on a number of occasions that WA is "not like California" when it comes to the rabid hatred of 2A rights, and that just because a (D) is a (D) does not always mean that they go around trying to push anti legislation. I might venture to think that might be true to an extent, but it seems much better than CA (where I live), so I'm not too worried about this bill going anywhere, and I still plan to move to WA when it's possible.

Erik.

Bobarino

imported post

the committee that this bill will get referred to has Pam Roach and Mike Carrell on it. i seriously doubt it will go anywhere. i almost think the sponsors of the bill set it up to fail by going completely overboard with what it bans. that way they can say, "at least we did SOMETHING and tried, but it didn't make it out of committee."

kwiebe

imported post

I mentioned in one of the other threads covering SB 6396 that I emailed all of the committee members + my own state reps. Pam Roach even replied:

Code:
Thank you for the email.  I completely agree with you and will strongly oppose SB 6396.

Thank you for your input.

Sincerely,

Pam Roach

ghosthunter

imported post

Well I got this back in response to my emails.

I do not serve on a committee which deals with these issues. It is very unlikely that any of these bills will come to the full House for a vote. Generally speaking, I do not support additional gun control legislation. I have been a consistent friend of hunters and sportsmen regarding gun safety and education.

Dave Quall
:celebrate

kwiebe

imported post

joeroket wrote:
The last time Kline and Kohl-Welles tried this bill I did not find anyone else who backed it or expected it to hit the floor.
That's good news. But the fact that they and others everywhere keep trying just proves how important it is for us to remain vigilant, and not get complacent about any of our rights. And keep exercising them, too.

kwiebe

imported post

ghosthunter wrote:

I do not serve on a committee which deals with these issues. It is very unlikely that any of these bills will come to the full House for a vote. Generally speaking, I do not support additional gun control legislation. I have been a consistent friend of hunters and sportsmen regarding gun safety and education.

Dave Quall
Is it just me, or did this politician do the "politician-thing" with words to leave himself some wiggle room?

I hate that.

Window_Seat

imported post

I agree, it's seems like one of those "I support & respect the Second Amendment's privilege of duck hunting... Their voting records and The NRAs rating scale will tell something similar. Have to be careful what you get out of statements like that.

Erik.

kwiebe

imported post

Please Lord, let 2010 be the beginning of the end for the political class, and let it mark a new beginning for men and women who seek office on principle and the desire to serve the People, and uphold the Constitution as it was written.

tai4de2

imported post

Oemig does not *appear* to support this based on his reply to my email to him, but I will try to follow up to get a more definitive statement from him.

amzbrady

imported post

kwiebe wrote:
ghosthunter wrote:

Dave Quall
Is it just me, or did this politician do the "politician-thing" with words to leave himself some wiggle room?

I hate that.
That is what makes a good politician and good CEO's also.

Window_Seat

imported post

Tomorrow (Monday 01/18) is the start of a new week, and it's imperative that all of us start making calls, and that we DO NOT STOP with this process. The offices I have called must continue to receive calls. Everyone's phone lines have to be flooded starting this week.

Erik.

deadwood

imported post

My State Representative, Glenn Anderson, is not a D. His reply to my views about this naked attempt to steal my firearms, which included a request to lobby his democrat colleagues, was answered thus:

"Thank you for your note.

I have always been a strong supporter of second amendment rights. I view the proposed bill as a misguided and overreaching reaction to truly tragic events. Should this bill make it to the House, I will be opposed to its passage.

Best,

Glenn"

My reply back was this:

"Glenn,

I am not so worried about the Republican side of either the House or Senate on the Gun Show or the California carbon copy "Assault" weapons bills. Both bills are intended to get a knee-jerk response, and I expect only a few Republicans
would support them.

However, it is your colleagues across the aisle who I am worried
about. I hope enough of them do not get swept up and vote before thinking. If they do there simply aren't enough Republicans to stop them.

Thanks for your personal response,"

The point here is to get my representative to actively work with Dems to ensure these two bills fail.

In Washington the Dems have 2/3+ of both houses. Wish it were otherwise, but thats the facts.

BobR

imported post

Reply from one of the Reps from the east side.

Thank you for your comments. I have heard an overwhelming objection to this bill from others in the 9th legislative district.

I oppose any gun regulation. I fully support your second amendment rights to bear and keep arms and rest assured, I will vote accordingly.

Sincerely,

Joe Schmick
State Representative

I would not have expected anything different.

bob