• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GMU Police will take your firearms

nova

imported post

2009-015386 / Information Only. An individual arrived at GMUPD to surrender their firearm for safekeeping. (16/Chandler)

Yeah the title is misleading. :p

Does GMU offer firearms storage for students like Virginia Tech does? I'm just wondering why the above quote appeared in the "crime log."

hunter45

imported post

Based on that, it sounds like they have firearms storage. JMU has it too, but I"d NEVER leave any of my guns with any school. My friend kept his revolver there freshman year. It was clean when he dropped it off, and dirty when he picked it up.

nova

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
Based on that, it sounds like they have firearms storage. JMU has it too, but I"d NEVER leave any of my guns with any school. My friend kept his revolver there freshman year. It was clean when he dropped it off, and dirty when he picked it up.
sounds like your friend experienced a reverse gun rental :uhoh::lol:

wylde007

imported post

nova wrote:
And here's your Rock Island 9MM, sir.

But, I left a Kimber Custom 45 with you!

HERE'S your ROCK ISLAND 9MM. Sir.

:lol:

virginiatuck

imported post

I guess if you were to actually do something like that, it would be prudent to apply a "trigger lock." Not that it's a guarantee that it won't be messed with, but it makes it more difficult.

Isn't the PD located on campus, though? The person would have to violate the administrative policy in order to get it there, wouldn't they?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
nova wrote:

HERE'S your ROCK ISLAND 9MM.  Sir.

Well, if it were a .45 RIA, I'd hardly be pissed at the trade. :p

One's more expensive, the other is the better gun. ;)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

marshaul wrote:
wylde007 wrote:
nova wrote:

HERE'S your ROCK ISLAND 9MM. Sir.

Well, if it were a .45 RIA, I'd hardly be pissed at the trade. :p

One's more expensive, the other is the better gun. ;)
+1

LOLROF, TMSH ('til my sides hurt)

Yata hey

nova

imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
I guess if you were to actually do something like that, it would be prudent to apply a "trigger lock." Not that it's a guarantee that it won't be messed with, but it makes it more difficult.

Isn't the PD located on campus, though? The person would have to violate the administrative policy in order to get it there, wouldn't they?
Administrative code applies to buildings, so one could assume it applies to the university police/public safety building they just moved into.

And it would definitely be a violation of university policy for any student to even transport a firearm on GMU property :)X)

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

When in college, I stowed several guns both long and hand in the lockup at the PD. We would roll in when we got to campus, sign them in and watch them get put in the large gun safe. I didn't have any real issues w/ leaving them there and got to know most of the officers very well (which is a benefit unto itself on campus).

I would check out their process and storage and make a call for myself if I was on campus. One of the officers was a jerk when it came to checking in as he always measured my mossberg cruiser EVERY time it came in and another officer was incompetent with most firearms. When either of these were at the desk, we would ask for one of the other officers and wait for them to come off their route if we had time. Knowing the officers made this not an obvious dismissal of the two twits!

vt357

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
I heard people say the same thing about storing their guns at Virginia Tech too. I didn't own any guns until my junior year when I lived in an apartment so I never had to deal with the hassle.