Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you trust your gun caliber

Banned

Post imported post

Post imported post

If I remember correctly, you said you were through with us...hyprocritcal at best, but I appreciate the article. I rely on my ability to place the round where it belongs, not the calibre.

Banned

Post imported post

I didn't realize you are in charge of this group or are you again showing your self absorbed greatness to judge other people. Don't bother replying I'm not interested in child play.

Post imported post

dang wrote: dang, what do you think of the .40 caliber?

Banned

Post imported post

under powered, get a 45 ACP.

Post imported post

I'm absolutely sure that this man wasn't either on an adrenaline spike or some drug.

Absolutely sure. -_-

Video doesn't specify the caliber at all other than the added words in the beginning.

*Now, I don't know what the police department was using. It very well could have been the .40 S&W, but the video and article gives no evidence whatsoever.*

Furthermore, the article was written as an opinion piece and gives no cites or references at all.

And who's to say this perp wasn't cracked or methed out of his mind and didn't feel it? We've all heard the horror stories of the methhead who took 14 shots and kept coming.

I'm not defending or bashing the .40 S&W. I prefer the .45ACP myself. But this video is by no means a measure of the .40 S&W's performance, simply because of the variables in the whole situation.

Simply put, keep shooting the goblin until it stops.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill

Banned

Post imported post

ok ,good points but If memory serves, the 45 was introduced in1911 because the 38 wasn't taking down the drug-ed up moros in the Philippine war.

Post imported post

dang wrote:
    ok ,good points but If memory serves, the 45 was introduced in1911 because the 38 wasn't taking down the drug-ed up moros in the Philippine war.
    Yeah, I believe so.

I'm with you, I like the .45ACP personally. If the military used it for, what, 80+ years, it works for me.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill

Post imported post

I just got my first .45ACP a couple months ago, I love it. It has great stopping power, even in a round nose FMJ. The only thing is.... damn its loud! I took my boy up shooting a week or so ago, earplugs and all. After I thought I'd shot all mine I was watching him shoot his .22, I pulled my plugs, sat down and found a full clip in my back pocket. I loaded it up and popped 2 out, my ears hurt so bad that I left the other 8 in the clip.
    I am the person responsible for myself, my wife and my son. I take that VERY seriously.

Post imported post

I had a .357 Magnum that felt like it was beating my eardrums with a bamboo cane. Hahaha.

Post imported post

I know the odds of me ever having to pull the trigger are pretty slim, but could you imagine popping out 2-3 rounds in your master bedroom. I was deafened for a few minutes after popping 2 out in the middle of a 10 acre gravel pit!
    I am the person responsible for myself, my wife and my son. I take that VERY seriously.

Post imported post

Whenever I go to shoot, I always put a few rounds out with no earplugs out.. To me, that is common sense. Sure, we can all double tap and mag dump at a range, but try it with no eye / ear protection (I wear glasses all the time, so no biggie to me on the eye protection).

I remember the first few times it rattled me a little, but now I am semi-used to the sound of an un-muffled gunshot.. No, it's not good on the ears, but it's amazing how much of a difference there is between protection and no protection. Be kinda crappy to find out how loud it is in the middle of having to defend yourself.
    www.WaGuns.org

Currently mapping locations of Shooting Areas as well as Gun Stores - Let me know what is missing!

Post imported post

massivedesign wrote:
    Whenever I go to shoot, I always put a few rounds out with no earplugs out.. To me, that is common sense. Sure, we can all double tap and mag dump at a range, but try it with no eye / ear protection (I wear glasses all the time, so no biggie to me on the eye protection).

I remember the first few times it rattled me a little, but now I am semi-used to the sound of an un-muffled gunshot.. No, it's not good on the ears, but it's amazing how much of a difference there is between protection and no protection. Be kinda crappy to find out how loud it is in the middle of having to defend yourself.
    What caliber are you shooting?

Post imported post

My Glock 30 (.45 acp) is not as loud as my Glock 22 (.40 S&W). At least not the 230gr bullets. They move a bit slower and seems to be more of a boom rather then a pop with the .40's

As far as if I trust my caliber. Yes I do. I am fine with a .22 because I can easily place the rounds exactly where I need them with the .22 where as with the higher calibers it is more difficult to get them where I want them.
    But I just recently went from 9mm to .45 because I needed the larger firearm. Glock 26 (9mm) was too small and the extra width and weight of the Glock 30sf (.45) gives me a better grip on it and has less recoil so I can shoot it more accurately. Otherwise if I had a good grip on my 9mm I would have kept that and been absolutely happy.

Banned

Post imported post

I have never been in a gun fight nor do I care. However, from reading about people in a gu fight I doubt a person would even hear the report of a gun.You're to scared or hyped up to hear what is going.I think tunnel vision as well as all body function other than urine retention are naturally reality. I'm not trying to be some kind of expert but that's what I've gleaned from several encounters I've read about.

I remember of a convenience clerk that had a shoot out with a robber. Well the cops came and he was finally calmed down. He found bullet damage to the soda machine, cash register and several canned products along the wall. But the robber was found outside at some distance at room temperature by the cops

I don't think you need to worry about ear protection in an elevated emotional point of time such as a gun fight for your life.No criticism, just my thoughts.

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    massivedesign wrote:

.40S&W mainly, but started this procedure with .45acp
    www.WaGuns.org

Currently mapping locations of Shooting Areas as well as Gun Stores - Let me know what is missing!

Post imported post

dang wrote:
    I don't think you need to worry about ear protection in an elevated emotional point of time such as a gun fight for your life.No criticism, just my thoughts.
    That will depend on the person. I can tell you, from personal experience, that in an "elevated emotional" situation, my senses are elevated as well, and a lot more sensitive. A gunshot has a lot more bang to it when I am pumped up..
    www.WaGuns.org

Banned

Post imported post

good,glad to heat it

Post imported post

Being able to hit your target is much more important than caliber. All pistol rounds are woefully inadequate, but a pistol is easier to carry than a rifle. If I knew I was going toget ina gun fight I would bring my M1A, lots of loaded mags and lots of kelvar. Not to mention lots of armed friends.

I forgot to add that the best gun fight is the one you did not attend.
    Throw me to the wolves and I will come back leading the pack.

Post imported post

dang wrote:
    I didn't realize you are in charge of this group or are you again showing your self absorbed greatness to judge other people. Don't bother replying I'm not interested in child play.
    Don't be a jerk, show some respect to those who have been on the board for some time.
    Live Free or Die!

Banned

Post imported post

Didn't realize there was a pecking order here. Where are you so i can keep score with your fellow jerks.

Post imported post

dang wrote:
    Didn't realize there was a pecking order here. Where are you so i can keep score with your fellow jerks.
    Count me in as a jerk! If by that you mean someone that has respect for the his elders and people that may in fact know more than I do about the subject at hand.

Post imported post

"One between the headlights" is a stopper, regardless of caliber. Some carry big weapons and then find that it doesn't do the job when the shtf. No matter how good you think you are at the range, that doesn't mean squat when someone is shooting back. The problem with carrying large calibers is that the second, third, etc, shots are often all over the place due to recoil.

The proper caliber FOR YOU, the average shooter, is one that you can consistently place shots in a small group when under high levels of stress. Try shooting while standing on one foot and see how you do. Try shooting with 5-6 guys standing around shouting instructions in your ear. Try shooting while moving across the range (probably can't do this at a supervised range but a good exercise for that session at the gravel pit). When you can consistently shoot a group at 25' that can be covered with your hand, and do so while rapid firing, THEN you have mastered that caliber. I suggest one start small, like 9mm, and then move up to 40, 45, or even 10mm if you like. Same challenge for revolvers. Start with .38 and work up to .44mag.

It isn't the size of the bullet that stops, it is WHERE it hits and how often. All too often big recoil calibers place second and third shots somewhere down range and don't hurt the attacker at all.

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Post imported post

massivedesign wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    massivedesign wrote:

.40S&W mainly, but started this procedure with .45acp
    Your practice seems unwise.

How many shots would you estimate you've fired without ear protection?

Post imported post

tyguy808 wrote:
    I just got my first .45ACP a couple months ago, I love it. It has great stopping power, even in a round nose FMJ.
    Really? In the last year or so, there was a robbery at a SE Tacoma Area Schuck's Auto Parts Store. Someone went in, tried to steal a small motor cycle from the floor, and when challenged pulled a gun. A customer, who happened to be armed with a .45 cal pistol fired and hit the robber with all 7 rounds. You might make the case that that surely stopped the assailant but in reality he was still able to fire a round or so and hit a store employee. The actor was wounded but the wounds were not life threatening. It would seem that in this encounter just about anything would have been as much a stopper as the .45.

It isn't the bullet, it's where the bullet goes.

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast