• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you trust your gun caliber

dang

Banned
imported post

Didn't realize there was a pecking order here. Where are you so i can keep score with your fellow jerks.

tyguy808

imported post

dang wrote:
Didn't realize there was a pecking order here. Where are you so i can keep score with your fellow jerks.
Count me in as a jerk! If by that you mean someone that has respect for the his elders and people that may in fact know more than I do about the subject at hand.

amlevin

imported post

"One between the headlights" is a stopper, regardless of caliber. Some carry big weapons and then find that it doesn't do the job when the shtf. No matter how good you think you are at the range, that doesn't mean squat when someone is shooting back. The problem with carrying large calibers is that the second, third, etc, shots are often all over the place due to recoil.

The proper caliber FOR YOU, the average shooter, is one that you can consistently place shots in a small group when under high levels of stress. Try shooting while standing on one foot and see how you do. Try shooting with 5-6 guys standing around shouting instructions in your ear. Try shooting while moving across the range (probably can't do this at a supervised range but a good exercise for that session at the gravel pit). When you can consistently shoot a group at 25' that can be covered with your hand, and do so while rapid firing, THEN you have mastered that caliber. I suggest one start small, like 9mm, and then move up to 40, 45, or even 10mm if you like. Same challenge for revolvers. Start with .38 and work up to .44mag.

It isn't the size of the bullet that stops, it is WHERE it hits and how often. All too often big recoil calibers place second and third shots somewhere down range and don't hurt the attacker at all.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

massivedesign wrote:
HankT wrote:
massivedesign wrote:
Whenever I go to shoot, I always put a few rounds out with no earplugs out.. To me, that is common sense. Sure, we can all double tap and mag dump at a range, but try it with no eye / ear protection (I wear glasses all the time, so no biggie to me on the eye protection).

I remember the first few times it rattled me a little, but now I am semi-used to the sound of an un-muffled gunshot.. No, it's not good on the ears, but it's amazing how much of a difference there is between protection and no protection. Be kinda crappy to find out how loud it is in the middle of having to defend yourself.
What caliber are you shooting?
.40S&W mainly, but started this procedure with .45acp
Your practice seems unwise.

How many shots would you estimate you've fired without ear protection?

amlevin

imported post

tyguy808 wrote:
I just got my first .45ACP a couple months ago, I love it. It has great stopping power, even in a round nose FMJ.
Really? In the last year or so, there was a robbery at a SE Tacoma Area Schuck's Auto Parts Store. Someone went in, tried to steal a small motor cycle from the floor, and when challenged pulled a gun. A customer, who happened to be armed with a .45 cal pistol fired and hit the robber with all 7 rounds. You might make the case that that surely stopped the assailant but in reality he was still able to fire a round or so and hit a store employee. The actor was wounded but the wounds were not life threatening. It would seem that in this encounter just about anything would have been as much a stopper as the .45.

It isn't the bullet, it's where the bullet goes.

tyguy808

imported post

HankT wrote:
I would say that I personally have fired 1000+ 9mm, 5000+ .22lr and 500+ .223 rem without hearing protection and exactly 2 .45ACP rounds.The .45 definetly hurt the most..... by far.

dang

Banned
imported post

Gee tyguy, who is elder and why do I bother. As far as knowing more than your friend , well you don't know ,do ya .I'm not going to carry on with this pissing contest. Ben Franklin said don't argue with an idiot because after awhile people won't be able to tell the difference.

tyguy808

imported post

dang wrote:
Gee tyguy, who is elder and why do I bother. As far as knowing more than your friend , well you don't know ,do ya .I'm not going to carry on with this pissing contest. Ben Franklin said don't argue with an idiot because after awhile people won't be able to tell the difference.
Age is not the issue here. I can sure as hell tell who has been here longest. That BF quote seems to support my arguement more than yours.

massivedesign

imported post

HankT wrote:
massivedesign wrote: Your practice seems unwise.

I'm sorry.. What? I couldn't hear you :lol:...

Unwise? Probably in the long run. I have been doing this for 12 years, probably between 10-20 rounds a year. I have done it a little more recently since I acquired my XD40sc, during break in (attempting to be real familiar with the pistol) I have probably done to 20 times in the last 5 months.

To me, it's about desensitization of the initial "shock" against that type of a noise... To me, it's about preparedness. I know what my capabilities are with my XD now (range, sight picture, target acquiring, hand positioning etc), it's second nature for me to want to know what my last line of defense sounds like...

To each their own...

antispam540

imported post

If this board's based on seniority, I'm screwed. On the other hand, Dang, your Internet Maturity Level seems to be quite low... You get more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Think about it this way - why fight over who's top dog? A bunch of "top dogs" are as good as body armor. They draw all the attention and go down first :lol:

dang

Banned
imported post

Look I ran ,I hoped to be an interesting vid and I was attacked by Wheelgun. I don't duck a fight. Until I become bored with it. Sorry

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

massivedesign wrote:
HankT wrote:
massivedesign wrote:
HankT wrote:
massivedesign wrote:
Whenever I go to shoot, I always put a few rounds out with no earplugs out.. To me, that is common sense. Sure, we can all double tap and mag dump at a range, but try it with no eye / ear protection (I wear glasses all the time, so no biggie to me on the eye protection).

I remember the first few times it rattled me a little, but now I am semi-used to the sound of an un-muffled gunshot.. No, it's not good on the ears, but it's amazing how much of a difference there is between protection and no protection. Be kinda crappy to find out how loud it is in the middle of having to defend yourself.
What caliber are you shooting?
.40S&W mainly, but started this procedure with .45acp
Your practice seems unwise.

I'm sorry.. What? I couldn't hear you :lol:...

Unwise? Probably in the long run. I have been doing this for 12 years, probably between 10-20 rounds a year. I have done it a little more recently since I acquired my XD40sc, during break in (attempting to be real familiar with the pistol) I have probably done to 20 times in the last 5 months.

To me, it's about desensitization of the initial "shock" against that type of a noise... To me, it's about preparedness. I know what my capabilities are with my XD now (range, sight picture, target acquiring, hand positioning etc), it's second nature for me to want to know what my last line of defense sounds like...

To each their own...

Have you discussed the practice with your physician or an audiologist?

Trigger Dr

imported post

tyguy808 wrote:
dang wrote:
Age is not the issue here. I can sure as hell tell who has been here longest. That BF quote seems to support my arguement more than yours.

I sent dang a PM and tried to calm things a bit. I was going to just let this die, but after dang's remarks continued, I will let you come to your own conclusions. Here is the text of the PM's.

If I have misinterpreted you and your posts, I apologize. If on the other hand I was correct, I stand firm in my observation. I am willing to call a truce in the matter. After spending 30 years in the LEO business as civilian and federal agent and a term as a judge, I have never held back from speaking my mind, and will say face to face what I type here. At times it has bit me in the butt. This may have been one of those times.

Have a good life, you deserve it.

Jim

I knew there had to be a government asshole behind the salty remarks you made.

For you to say that I WAS A SURVIVALIST MILITIA COP WAS HURTFUL A SPECIAL MEANING. .Now you want to smooth things over,THAT is, down right pathetic.

Let me express myself to you cops and judges, **** off!!!!! I hate you son of bitches, your kind put me on trial with no evidence, one. In fact you motherfuckers lied to the jury and still the jury found me innocent. Thank God for tape recorders.. Let me express myself more clear. When I can see cops and judges swinging from a light pole, by the hand of other patriots I will cry hooray. I hate you government traitors more than Al kida.

**** OFF

kito109654

imported post

This forum has no report function! Will a MOD please step in and close this thread due to forum rules being blatantly broken.

NO COP BASHING! No bashing at all. Get a grip, people.

joeroket

imported post

He obviously has not bothered to read any of your other Posts, eh Dr.

I will stand behind trigger dr any day of the week. Just because he is retired LEO only means he has the ability to understand how both sides operate. He will also be one of the first to stand up and cry BS when an LEO goes beyond the scope of his authority and duty.

Dang you would be well served to read the threads before you slam someone because of their profession.

To keep my post within the topic, I trust my G22 with my families life. I have no doubt that a .40 round is a superior SD round as do quite a number of ballistic experts, CSI types, and trauma docs.