• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you trust your gun caliber

Trigger Dr

imported post

If I remember correctly, you said you were through with us...hyprocritcal at best, but I appreciate the article. I rely on my ability to place the round where it belongs, not the calibre.

dang

Banned
imported post

I didn't realize you are in charge of this group or are you again showing your self absorbed greatness to judge other people. Don't bother replying I'm not interested in child play.

killchain

imported post

I'm absolutely sure that this man wasn't either on an adrenaline spike or some drug.

Absolutely sure. -_-

Video doesn't specify the caliber at all other than the added words in the beginning.

*Now, I don't know what the police department was using. It very well could have been the .40 S&W, but the video and article gives no evidence whatsoever.*

Furthermore, the article was written as an opinion piece and gives no cites or references at all.

And who's to say this perp wasn't cracked or methed out of his mind and didn't feel it? We've all heard the horror stories of the methhead who took 14 shots and kept coming.

I'm not defending or bashing the .40 S&W. I prefer the .45ACP myself. But this video is by no means a measure of the .40 S&W's performance, simply because of the variables in the whole situation.

Simply put, keep shooting the goblin until it stops.

dang

Banned
imported post

ok ,good points but If memory serves, the 45 was introduced in1911 because the 38 wasn't taking down the drug-ed up moros in the Philippine war.

killchain

imported post

dang wrote:
ok ,good points but If memory serves, the 45 was introduced in1911 because the 38 wasn't taking down the drug-ed up moros in the Philippine war.
Yeah, I believe so.

I'm with you, I like the .45ACP personally. If the military used it for, what, 80+ years, it works for me.

tyguy808

imported post

I just got my first .45ACP a couple months ago, I love it. It has great stopping power, even in a round nose FMJ. The only thing is.... damn its loud! I took my boy up shooting a week or so ago, earplugs and all. After I thought I'd shot all mine I was watching him shoot his .22, I pulled my plugs, sat down and found a full clip in my back pocket. I loaded it up and popped 2 out, my ears hurt so bad that I left the other 8 in the clip.

tyguy808

imported post

I know the odds of me ever having to pull the trigger are pretty slim, but could you imagine popping out 2-3 rounds in your master bedroom. I was deafened for a few minutes after popping 2 out in the middle of a 10 acre gravel pit!

massivedesign

imported post

Whenever I go to shoot, I always put a few rounds out with no earplugs out.. To me, that is common sense. Sure, we can all double tap and mag dump at a range, but try it with no eye / ear protection (I wear glasses all the time, so no biggie to me on the eye protection).

I remember the first few times it rattled me a little, but now I am semi-used to the sound of an un-muffled gunshot.. No, it's not good on the ears, but it's amazing how much of a difference there is between protection and no protection. Be kinda crappy to find out how loud it is in the middle of having to defend yourself.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

massivedesign wrote:
Whenever I go to shoot, I always put a few rounds out with no earplugs out.. To me, that is common sense. Sure, we can all double tap and mag dump at a range, but try it with no eye / ear protection (I wear glasses all the time, so no biggie to me on the eye protection).

I remember the first few times it rattled me a little, but now I am semi-used to the sound of an un-muffled gunshot.. No, it's not good on the ears, but it's amazing how much of a difference there is between protection and no protection. Be kinda crappy to find out how loud it is in the middle of having to defend yourself.
What caliber are you shooting?

Glocked and Loaded

imported post

My Glock 30 (.45 acp) is not as loud as my Glock 22 (.40 S&W). At least not the 230gr bullets. They move a bit slower and seems to be more of a boom rather then a pop with the .40's

As far as if I trust my caliber. Yes I do. I am fine with a .22 because I can easily place the rounds exactly where I need them with the .22 where as with the higher calibers it is more difficult to get them where I want them.
But I just recently went from 9mm to .45 because I needed the larger firearm. Glock 26 (9mm) was too small and the extra width and weight of the Glock 30sf (.45) gives me a better grip on it and has less recoil so I can shoot it more accurately. Otherwise if I had a good grip on my 9mm I would have kept that and been absolutely happy.

dang

Banned
imported post

I have never been in a gun fight nor do I care. However, from reading about people in a gu fight I doubt a person would even hear the report of a gun.You're to scared or hyped up to hear what is going.I think tunnel vision as well as all body function other than urine retention are naturally reality. I'm not trying to be some kind of expert but that's what I've gleaned from several encounters I've read about.

I remember of a convenience clerk that had a shoot out with a robber. Well the cops came and he was finally calmed down. He found bullet damage to the soda machine, cash register and several canned products along the wall. But the robber was found outside at some distance at room temperature by the cops

I don't think you need to worry about ear protection in an elevated emotional point of time such as a gun fight for your life.No criticism, just my thoughts.

massivedesign

imported post

HankT wrote:
massivedesign wrote:

What caliber are you shooting?
.40S&W mainly, but started this procedure with .45acp

massivedesign

imported post

dang wrote:
I don't think you need to worry about ear protection in an elevated emotional point of time such as a gun fight for your life.No criticism, just my thoughts.
That will depend on the person. I can tell you, from personal experience, that in an "elevated emotional" situation, my senses are elevated as well, and a lot more sensitive. A gunshot has a lot more bang to it when I am pumped up..

Jeff Hayes

imported post

Being able to hit your target is much more important than caliber. All pistol rounds are woefully inadequate, but a pistol is easier to carry than a rifle. If I knew I was going toget ina gun fight I would bring my M1A, lots of loaded mags and lots of kelvar. Not to mention lots of armed friends.

I forgot to add that the best gun fight is the one you did not attend.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

dang wrote:
I didn't realize you are in charge of this group or are you again showing your self absorbed greatness to judge other people. Don't bother replying I'm not interested in child play.
Don't be a jerk, show some respect to those who have been on the board for some time.