• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Losing a Pet

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

News Article: "Mountain lions drag off family dog" - Source: http://www.gazette.com/articles/mountain-92475-family-butts.html

Head-banging quote: "“It will be a while before we have another dog,” Butts said. “We’ve lost a pet, but we’ve got to figure out, if we’re going to have another pet, how do we keep it safe and how do we keep ourselves safe?”"

Well, Gee. Hmm... This is a hard one! Let me rack my brains for a bit....

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

since9 wrote:
News Article: "Mountain lions drag off family dog" - Source: http://www.gazette.com/articles/mountain-92475-family-butts.html

Head-banging quote: "“It will be a while before we have another dog,” Butts said. “We’ve lost a pet, but we’ve got to figure out, if we’re going to have another pet, how do we keep it safe and how do we keep ourselves safe?”"

Well, Gee. Hmm... This is a hard one! Let me rack my brains for a bit....
Quick, I've got to take my cat out there. Do you have the address where this happened? My cat is evil. Has no reason to be alive.

XD40coyote

imported post

Keep dog safe- hunt mt lions

keep self safe- hunt mt lions and pack heat

Does CO have some animal rights idiot law about hunting mt lions with dogs? I know there was a ballot initiative that caused more coyotes to be alive and causing trouble, and have more beavers flooding stuff and cutting trees down. That was the anti trapping law, which is totally stupid. I am still waiting for MA to flood to the point of merging with the ocean via beavers, and having packs of 50 pound coyotes eat all the dogs and cats.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

For some reason the text of the story never appeared. I did see the picture of the dog that was lost.

My advice, leave lap dogs at home when out in the wilderness. Bring BIG dog and a firearm as backup.

Packer fan

imported post

“We moved into their country. We weren’t ignorant to the fact there were mountain lions around,” Butts said Friday. “Bears are around. Mountain lions are around. It is a danger of living in this area.”:uhoh:

“Obviously we never envisioned it as a reality for us.”:cry:

That's like saying I moved into the hood. I knew that there was crime there but I didn'tthink that it would happen to me.:shock:So I did nothing to protect myself.:banghead:

Where do they find these people?:lol:

okboomer

imported post

"I really don’t have a guess as to why they’re more active this year and why we’re seeing more of them,” he said. “It’s entirely possible they’re just finding hunting a little bit tougher up on the slopes of (Pikes) Peak.”
Ummm, maybe because ya'll don't hunt them, or teach them aversion to humans and human habitation, just a guess.

Maybe it is because they have been breeding and filling up all the other hunting ranges occupied by mountain lions and they need to be thinned out.

Folks, our ancestors killed out the mountain lions for a reason ... they consider humans FOOD and WILL hunt humans.

Forget the dog, evidently you didn't take his warnings seriously enough to at least walk your property line to see what tracks were being left by the wildlife, so now, without an early warning system, how do you plan to keep your 7 year old child safe? From a predator who specializes in the attack from hiding and is a master of camoflage?

Sounds like this guy needs to move back to the metro where he is safe. Oh, wait, isn't the crime rate up in the Springs? Maybe not so safe. Time to run screaming down the road, "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!"

I wonder what the response time to his residence is for emergency services? So sad.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

While this view will certainly be controversial, you folks need to remember that some people actually SHOULD be considered as food for lions and such. That would be called thinning of the herd and in most cases it will be the ... Um ... Less intelligent who are taken. Over time such thinning eliminates to less intelligent and selects for higher intelligence. Of course it could be said that it also selects for fast runners.

SInce "Homo Sapiens" means literally Wise man in latin, clearly anyone not able to think through what might be necessary to assure their survival in a wilderness area might be considered as Darwin fodder. It is an unfortunate truth that such people will on occasion take a helpless dog with them into such a misadventure.

I feel bad for the dog.:banghead:

KansasMustang

imported post

I lived off and on in CO Springs while stationed at Ft. Carson. They kept building houses higher and higher up the slopes. People would chain their dogs up or let them out and wonder why "Foo-foo" was missing. They'd rant and rave about the mountain lions but Oohhhhhh noooo DO NOT let anyone hunt them. HaHa buncha IDIOTS!!!

zack991

imported post

HERE IS THE FIX.

PICK ONE OF THE MANY FLAVORS AVAILABLE.
cheechak30calx600.jpg

AND ONE OF THESE SHOULD DO IT.
rem_700tws.jpg

i COULD MAKE IT SIMPLER IF NEED BE.

OWN A FIREARM AND USE IT TO USE TO DEFEND ONES FAMILY.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
While this view will certainly be controversial, you folks need to remember that some people actually SHOULD be considered as food for lions and such. That would be called thinning of the herd and in most cases it will be the ... Um ... Less intelligent who are taken. Over time such thinning eliminates to less intelligent and selects for higher intelligence. Of course it could be said that it also selects for fast runners.

SInce "Homo Sapiens" means literally Wise man in latin, clearly anyone not able to think through what might be necessary to assure their survival in a wilderness area might be considered as Darwin fodder. It is an unfortunate truth that such people will on occasion take a helpless dog with them into such a misadventure.

I feel bad for the dog.:banghead:

I totally agree with you Hawkflyer.

I guess that puts us in the "Cold Hearted SOB's Club" :lol:

If you think about it, isn't it amazing how man in general wants to preserve the natural world, but yet fights it so much toinsure the survival of theweakist of our own species, therefore deteriating the gene pool.

As a whole, homo sapiens are our own worst enemy, in every aspect. Where's the wisdom in that?

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

TehGruu wrote:
They need a sign.
Yup!!I agree with Gruu
Just put a sign up with a picture of a mountain lion with a red circle around it, and a diagonal red stripe. That'll keep those moutain lions away!!:lol:politicians think a similiar sign will stop criminals from robbing places! So it must work.

yup, lets move out to a near wilderness area, and then be surprised, & complain when the local predators eat that tasty little morsel you have been tempting them with for a few months.

Maybe next time they could get a dog that tastes really bad, then the cats might spit it out and leave it alone.

dukenukum

imported post

Spent summers on my uncles sheep station here in Michigan we didn't have much mountain lion trouble but we did have gang bangers dump their pit bulls so they would not get busted for dog fighting. These dogs usually would kill sheep so we had a way of reasoning with them. 150 grain cast bullet and a charge of IMR 3031 out of a O3A3 Springfield rifle or a load of #4 buckshot out of a Ithaca 37 shot gun. I suspect these would work for a Mountain lion as well.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
TehGruu wrote:
They need a sign.
Yup!!I agree with Gruu
 Just put a sign up with a picture of a mountain lion with a red circle around it, and a diagonal red stripe. That'll keep those moutain lions away!!:lol: Politicians think a similiar sign will stop criminals from robbing places! So it must work.

yup, lets move out to a near wilderness area, and then be surprised, & complain when the local predators eat that tasty little morsel you have been tempting them with for a few months.

Maybe next time they could get a dog that tastes really bad, then the cats might spit it out and leave it alone.

I think he means one of Bill Engval's "Stupid" Signs.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

OK... lemme chime in here. I live in the 'wild' part of the ol' wild west. There's critters in this desert that'll eat you... bite you, sting you. Some woman recently wrote: "What kind of a place is this when something just swoops out of the sky and takes your little dog right out of the yard?"

It's the Sonora Desert... 'n it ain't Disneyland. Little 'Foo Foo' dogs arejust dinner for something. I've had mountain lion pass my gate (tracks)... might'a even beenon the property altho I didn't see the tracks out back. It was during a long drought 'n it prob'ly came lookin' or water. I have a swimmin' pool. OK... so I'm not gonna kill it 'cause it's thirsty. I knew somethin' was amiss 'cause the horses were screamin'.They don't do that with coyotes 'n bobcats.The big cats don't kill for the helluvit. They're hungry.

There's a tribe of coyotes that get together for a sing-along 3-4 times a day 'bout a half mile of so away. They carry on for 15-20 seconds 'n then stop. I have no fear of the coyotes... nor reason to kill 'em just 'cause they're coyotes. 'Same with the gray wolves, bobcats, coati's, hawks, eagles, road runners'n owls. Then there's the javelina. I have King snakes come visit now 'n then. One of 'em fell outta the lemon tree into my pool one night (while I was in it).

'Splash! "What the hell was that?" sez I. "A snakes's in the pool." sez the wife. 'What kind'a snake?" sez I. "I dunno... a big one..." sez the wife. She now brags to her co-workers that her husbandcan walkon water.

It was a King snake... it got outta the pool on its own 'n hid under a planter. Later it squeezed thru a crack 'n got under the house. We left it alone. King snakes eat rattlesnakes... rats, mice and ground squirrels. We have a pair of resident Great Horned Owls that have eliminated our ground squirrel problem... along with the various hawks 'n Golden eagles.

My cats are all 'indoors'... 'cause outside they're 'dinner'. The desert is what it is. If wekilled every wild critter we saw... it'd be a lot less interesting to live here. City people... 'townies', move into these remote regions completely clueless. 'Condition White'. They have no guns... no situational awareness and no coping skills. Some have actually 'moved' 'cause they found a scorpion, solifugid (Sunspider)or tarantula wandering around. This ain't Minny-soda... or Nuu Yawk. Duhhh?

Wild critters live here... and have always lived here or anywhere 'wild'. A single lion will have a hunting radiusof about 80 miles. No tellin' from which mountainrange this onecame. They even been spotted on the streets of downtown Tucson late at night. They use the various arroyos (washes) as highways.

Course the developers build their ticky-tacky's right up against these arroyos... 'n all the cat's 'n coyotessee in these yards are yapping 'groceries'.

I write (cowboy) poetry... I'll share this onewith ya.

‘My Desert Home’

No concrete beneath my feet
No towers of steel and glass
Just mountain vistas all around
A southern wind blows thru the pass

I watch the Golden Eagles soar
Gambrils Quail peck in the sand
All of this from my back door
By God I love this land

The wild things make strange noises
And give my wife a fright
When it's dark and quiet
In this desert in the night

It's strangely wild and haunting
When coyotes start to sing
The owls willhoot 'n twitter
'Long with other grunts 'n things

Now ‘n then I’ll hear the sound
Of a lobo gray wolf howl
Somewhere in this desert
‘Neith a full moon… on the prowl

The roosters crow in morning
A horse will neigh and whicker
But there ain't no sirens blarin’ here
No noisy city slickers

The lizards do their push-ups
On top of my back wall
As rabbits romp without a care
‘Bout anything at all

A flock of doves surround me
And birds of every hue
Who’ll suddenly just disappear
When a hawk comes into view

Sometimes, there’s just the shrill ‘Kreeee’
Of a raptor, close around
That always brings a smile to me
There’s no more fierce or wilder sound

Then a cactus wren will scold me
The woodpeckers chime in
The hummingbirds will twitter
'Til I finally go back in

I think of where I came from
'Remember where I've been
Then I pick up my hat ‘n pistol…
And begin my day again

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well, right here in North Carolina, not even in the foothills or the mountains, I'm talking urbanized areas, we have coyotes, black bears, hawks, eagles, and owls, copperheads, bobcats, all kinds of things that will make off with small animals and the larger ones just may make a meal of a small child or attack a human in general. Not to mention we have a rabbies problem around here.

PT111

imported post

“Obviously we never envisioned it as a reality for us.”
I fully agree with the study that in a nutshell that said until a person is around 25 their brain hasn't really developed to the point that they can understand that it can happen to them. The one problem that I have with the study is that some people, and in this case I think the people were over 25, never develop the ability to believe that it can happen to them. You move into a placein the middle ofwild animal territory and then are surprised when they show up. Yup, There's your sign. When I was a little boy my grandfather killed an alligator in the chicken house right in the back yard. I don't remember him saying "You mean alligators actually eat chickens!!!!". :)

r6-rider

imported post

XD40coyote wrote:
Does CO have some animal rights idiots

yes!

“We moved into their country. We weren’t ignorant to the fact there were mountain lions around,” Butts said Friday. “Bears are around. Mountain lions are around. It is a danger of living in this area.”

“Obviously we never envisioned it as a reality for us.”

they're probly sitting there wondering "how could an animal do this to such a cute puppy oh why oh why cant they just be friends?!?!?!"

after the hippy movement i saw in CO last time i was there, i dont plan on going back