• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Losing a Pet

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

r6-rider wrote:
...SNIP
they're probly sitting there wondering "how could an animal do this to such a cute puppy oh why oh why cant they just be friends?!?!?!"

after the hippy movement i saw in CO last time i was there, i dont plan on going back

Not to push a sharp stick in anyones sacred cow, but we all have Walt Disney to thank for all of this.:what::banghead:

okboomer

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
I write (cowboy) poetry... I'll share this onewith ya.

‘My Desert Home’

No concrete beneath my feet
No towers of steel and glass
Just mountain vistas all around
A southern wind blows thru the pass

I watch the Golden Eagles soar
Gambrils Quail peck in the sand
All of this from my back door
By God I love this land

The wild things make strange noises
And give my wife a fright
When it's dark and quiet
In this desert in the night

It's strangely wild and haunting
When coyotes start to sing
The owls willhoot 'n twitter
'Long with other grunts 'n things

Now ‘n then I’ll hear the sound
Of a lobo gray wolf howl
Somewhere in this desert
‘Neith a full moon… on the prowl

The roosters crow in morning
A horse will neigh and whicker
But there ain't no sirens blarin’ here
No noisy city slickers

The lizards do their push-ups
On top of my back wall
As rabbits romp without a care
‘Bout anything at all

A flock of doves surround me
And birds of every hue
Who’ll suddenly just disappear
When a hawk comes into view

Sometimes, there’s just the shrill ‘Kreeee’
Of a raptor, close around
That always brings a smile to me
There’s no more fierce or wilder sound

Then a cactus wren will scold me
The woodpeckers chime in
The hummingbirds will twitter
'Til I finally go back in

I think of where I came from
'Remember where I've been
Then I pick up my hat ‘n pistol…
And begin my day again

Amen Brother.

As a teenager, I used to get up at 4:30am and go fishing ... I would come home with my catch about sunup, clean it, put it in a bowl of salted water on the counter top, go take my shower, and by the time I got back, mom had pan fried sand bass and scrambled eggs ready ... mmmmmmmm!

Also for your enjoyment http://www.baxterblack.com/

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Live in harmony with the land.

Respect the others with whom you share it.

Know who is for dinner.

Yata hey

Sonora Rebel

imported post

'Happened in FL several times when I lived there... Prob'ly still does. It is what it is.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Trolling for gators does give one pause for thought.

Hmmmm. Having a resident gator here might have certain, dare I say it, benefits. :)

Yata hey

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

r6-rider wrote:
they're probly sitting there wondering "how could an animal do this to such a cute puppy oh why oh why cant they just be friends?!?!?!"

I wondered if something like that was going through Timothy Treadwell's head as he and his girlfriend, Amie Huguenard, got eaten alive by a grizzly bear...

TehGruu

imported post

tekshogun wrote:
r6-rider wrote:

I wondered if something like that was going through Timothy Treadwell's head as he and his girlfriend, Amie Huguenard, got eaten alive by a grizzly bear...

Personally, I don't think very much was going on in that guy's head. He was out of his damn mind. Did you see the documentary about him?

-Gruu

Sonora Rebel

imported post

tekshogun wrote:

Only thing goin' thru either of their heads was 'Teeth'. :uhoh:

Amie was prob'ly wonderin' why she didn't hook up withthat nice accountant fellafrom Peoria instead tho.... :cry:

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
tekshogun wrote:

Only thing goin' thru either of their heads was 'Teeth'. :uhoh:

Amie was prob'ly wonderin' why she didn't hook up withthat nice accountant fellafrom Peoria instead tho.... :cry:
Or the guy that thinks highly enough about himself and his women to bring a couple of.454 Cassull revolvers on camping trips in grizzly bear country.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Treadwell was a complete moron. He actually thought he was protecting those grizzlies from someone or something.
When in fact, the only reason he was alive when visitingup there because the grizzlies allowed him to live!

Hopefully the documentary on him stops other retarded idiots from attempting the same stunt.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Oh... here we go... the owner of this was just tryin' to retrieve a golf ball in Berkeley County South Carolina...

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Anybody that know gators knows they will eat what they can when they need to eat. I have a place on the St Johns river a few miles frm Lake Jessup. Guess where they release all the gators they catch elsewhere in the state? At night you could walk across that lake on the backs of the gators. All you have to do is pay attention and respect them for what they are and what they COULD do if they wanted to.

Respect for large predators like gators is all that is required to accommodate their presence. Part of that is knowing how they live, giving them a little space when necessary, and being prepared if they think they see a buffet when they are looking at you. So long as they give me no reason to attack them, I am perfectly happy to just watch and enjoy them for what they are.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

tekshogun wrote:
r6-rider wrote:

We know what went through his head. He thought bears were people. To the bears, he was potential dinner.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
We know what went through his head. He thought bears were people. To the bears, he was potential dinner.
More than 'potential'... don'tcha think? ;)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Theory of Natural Selection works in strange and mysterious ways - the gene pool was thus altered.

Yata hey

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Oh... here we go... the owner of this was just tryin' to retrieve a golf ball in Berkeley County South Carolina...

*Shakes head in damn shame*

It's actually pretty funny how few people know gators live in wetlands of Eastern North and South Carolina.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
More than 'potential'... don'tcha think? ;)
For one of them, certainly. He lived for approximately six minutes while the attack was going on. Can you imagine what must have been going through his mind during that time?

Bears are powerful and very unpredictable animals. Best to never let your guard down, give them distance (unless you are hunting them), and respect their abilities.