• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need help picking out a firearm for a family member

CarryOpen

imported post

I thought this topic already existed somewhere?

I started shooting 12 gauge when I was 11 years old. I weighed about 70lbs. I could hardly handle the gun, but when I got my 410 for Christmas it wasn't much different than a 22. 20 gauge I think is the right solution for most HD shotgun situations.

No one knows the sound of my shotgun because all I do is take off the safety.

Eeyore

imported post

45acpForMe wrote:

I carry a PT111 as my primary CC gun. It would work fine for a small person, as would the PT738. The internal lock has never given me any problem. For home defense, she could get away with a larger-framed pistol if she's comfortable handling it. Definitely consider one of the slightly larger Tauri, such as the 24/7 or PT809 (featuring adjustable grip sizes) which still have the internal lock. I believe most (if not all) Taurus revolvers have the internal lock, sothey might also be worth a look.

That said, I think the internal lock is no better than an external trigger lock if you need to employ the weapon quickly. You'd still be fumbling with a little key under pressure and possibly in the dark. A better solution might be one of the pistol safes with a combo lock or even biometric lock. Keeps the weapon safe and secure but quickly accessible. Just my 0.01 euro.

cscitney87

imported post

Go with the Bersa. My girl is tiny and has small hands- she uses a Bersa Thunder Pro 9mm. Perfect pistol all around- definitely great for a lady.

southern boy

imported post

well shes got the Bersa plus and is quite happy with it.

stepdads drug her up to uwharrie twice so far, he says shes scary at 50 yards with that thing.

now to get his to stop dragging that CZ52 around everywhere and get something in a normal caliber.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

I'm glad she went with the Bersa. It's easy, accurate and reliable. It's also lightweight and has a nice, easy trigger pull. I have one and wouldn't trade it for anything.

ETA: I don't about hers, but mine doesn't like Winchester White Box FMJ. The one time I tries using it I got 5 or 6 FTFs out of a single box. Mine just LOVES hollowpoints, though. Not a single problem in 200+ rounds.

ocgso

imported post

For home defense, if you must have a pistol, I suggest a revolver. There are no issues with safeties and buttons when you are half a sleep. Just a heavy trigger pull and NO CHANCE of a jam. I like that when I am woken from a dead sleep.

My 2 cents.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ocgso wrote:
For home defense, if you must have a pistol, I suggest a revolver. There are no issues with safeties and buttons when you are half a sleep. Just a heavy trigger pull and NO CHANCE of a jam. I like that when I am woken from a dead sleep.

My 2 cents.
I agree, and used a .44 mag for several years. I no longer have it, though, and having put several hundred rounds through my 9mm, I'm satisfied with it. Like a revolver, it's simply draw and squeze the trigger. Besides - I enjoy having 17 rounds instead of 6!