• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Banana Carry Protest - San Mateo

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

CAUTION

Open carry advocates create a potentially very dangerous situation. When police are called to a “man with a gun” call they typically are responding to a situation about which they have few details other than that one or more people are present at a location and are armed. Officers may have no idea that these people are simply “exercising their rights.” Consequently, the law enforcement response is one of “hypervigilant urgency” in order to protect the public from an armed threat. Should the gun carrying person fail to comply with a law enforcement instruction or move in a way that could be construed as threatening, the police are forced to respond in kind for their own protection. It’s well and good in hindsight to say the gun carrier was simply “exercising their rights” but the result could be deadly. Simply put, it is not recommended to openly carry firearms.

If there was a reason to protest in support of open carry, this would be it. As Cato suggests, it is likely an attempt to ambush us into staging an open carry protest.

With that being a likely situation I propose that we arrange a more well-mannered protest. Banana open carry.

It sounds ridiculous, I know. But by not actually protesting by open carry of guns we might get people to focus on the issue instead of the guns and the police activity. After all, are we protesting the right to open carry, or the departments use of insinuated and veiled threats? By using a different tool and form of protest we can also more comically demonstrate to people the current status of gun laws in California.

I am not talking about stopping open carry altogether, but for this singular protest.

Who's with me?

Holster_Blk.gif

I think tactically we need to make a speedy answer, so I think next weekend, perhaps Saturday the 23rd.

If you plan on attending I would appreciate an RSVP e-mail be sent to bananaOC@claytonscott.info.

Please let me know:
1. Your screen name
2. Your name, if you choose to communicate that
3. How many people you may bring with you.
4. If, how many, and of what sizes of shirts you would like.

I see this as more than an open carry protest, but a protest against the attitude reflected in the press release. Please inform and bring as many people as you can.

If you have a holster already, then by all means use it. . . Save the money and get one of the t-shirts instead.

If you don't have a holster - you can get one or make it yourself.
The holsters are $8 ea. and can be purchased here: http://www.cellfoam.com

I believe the message should focus more on the police attitude than the open carry movement, but I don't think that we should ignore the movement.

PLEASE DO NOT OPEN CARRY A FIREARM TO THIS EVENT!

dirtykoala

imported post

would i have to carry the edible part of the banana outside of the peel and in an exposed holster?

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The pictured holster is an actual product available for purchase. I am in contact with the manufacturer in an attempt to get bulk pricing.

Another great reason to use the banana holster is that kids can carry too!

I am also wondering, we could theoretically make our own. . . Could probably be done really inexpensively.

yelohamr

imported post

Back in the early '70's, when Joseph McNamara,who came from NYC,was Chief in KC, MO several officers, who were unhappy with his opinion against shooting fleeing felons (it was legal then) showed up at oneof the shift rollcallswith bananas in their holsters.

Luckily McNamara left KC and went to San Jose. For several years after he left KC the graffiti on an overpass on I-435 was still visible: "McNamara Go Home"

Livermoron

imported post

:celebrate

How has the dancing Banana been left out of this thread so far ??? ;)

I am up for this! Of course, we would have to wear the full magazines from our real hardware on the other hip...

Carry On (then eat it),

Livermoron :cool:

demnogis

imported post

I'd participate. Who wants to carpool with me up to the Bay Area?

Now, if I've got a :celebrate on my right in the holster, can it only be the peel? Then sliced innards on my left in a holster as well?

Am I not allowed to concealed banana carry without a Golden Permit™?

dirtykoala

imported post

i would go. i would also wear a flack jacket and a giant stuffed banana slung across my chest or back.

dirtykoala

imported post

forgive my vodka.... (kettle one is great!)

i might retract this in the morning.... if 5 socal UOCers show up. i will make and wear this shirt...

bangun.jpg

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

For this sort of angle to really work, it would require a huge turnout and a consolidated, well thought out message.... And it must utterly make the Sheriff look like an ass.

I might come out of the wood work for this on a weekend.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Wahahahahahahahahaaaa!!!

I love it!!!! What a great way to protest and ridicule the sheriff at the same time!!

Can you get a kid or two with signs offering to be cops or dispatchers since the grown-ups can't seem to use adult judgement?