• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone for a OC gathering on February 13th?

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It's a bit of a drive, as I'm in the Springs, but I'd be up for it!

I'd need a good address and zip code for my GPS, as I'm not familiar with the Highland's Ranch area. I just know it's south of Denver.

desettle

S

scubabeme

imported post

Really tempted, though I have yet to go "wading in the OC creek."

I CC all the time, and my holster is an IWB (Crossbreed Supertuck). Really comfortable for CC, but not a typical OC style; looks a lot like I just stuck my weapon in my pants. I also have an el cheapo nylon paddle holster that I just got to get used to the weight on my belt while around the house pre-CHP (and trying to decide on what carry holster to try first), but it, too, isn't one to impress anyone that observes it enough to think I'm "serious" about it.

Oh, and my wife gives me the "evil eye" whenever I suggest that I might OC, even though she, too, really is "gun friendly" andhas a CHP. She's bought into the "it'll get get you arrested on a felony charge for brandishing" line we were fed during our CHP training, and really wouldn't like the potential "attention" it mightdraw.

desettle

imported post

I can tell you that I would always recommend a retention OWB holster (such as Balckhawk's Serpa Level II (my favorite), snapped starp, or a thumb break (I have one of these for my .45 cal)) for OCing, to make sure the gun does not leave the holster until it is to be used. I know that this type of holster does not seem to exist for IWB, but I have never had a problem with mine.

As far as brandishing goes. Brandishing is to shake or wave, as a weapon. We never do this. We are well within the law when we simply carry OC and act as though it is not even there, unless it is needed. This is not brandishing.

You can CC if you feel better about it or simply get a good retention holster for OCing and come on out. You will be in good company and will propbably be the safest place in the city. :D

Hope to see you there.

Castle

imported post

Hey everyone! I've been lurking this forum for a while but just recently registered to post. If you dont mind a new guy coming along then I'd love to join you.

Suburban78

imported post

Castle wrote:
Hey everyone! I've been lurking this forum for a while but just recently registered to post. If you dont mind a new guy coming along then I'd love to join you.
Welcome and yes, we would love to have you.

desettle

imported post

Castle wrote:

Welcome aboard, and you are more than welcome to join us. Looking forward to it.

Suburban78

imported post

scubabeme wrote:

I CC all the time, and my holster is an IWB (Crossbreed Supertuck).  Really comfortable for CC, but not a typical OC style; looks a lot like I just stuck my weapon in my pants.  I also have an el cheapo nylon paddle holster that I just got to get used to the weight on my belt while around the house pre-CHP (and trying to decide on what carry holster to try first), but it, too, isn't one to impress anyone that observes it enough to think I'm "serious" about it. 

Oh, and my wife gives me the "evil eye" whenever I suggest that I might OC, even though she, too, really is "gun friendly" and has a CHP.  She's bought into the "it'll get get you arrested on a felony charge for brandishing" line we were fed during our CHP training, and really wouldn't like the potential "attention" it might draw.
I'm still new to open carry and have OC every day for the last few months and have had only three questions from civilians. Being knowledgeable about the laws and polite have led to those three encounters being positive for the other party and myself! I have been in line at the gas station with an officer behind me and nothing more then a comment on my holster and my 6906! Now do be careful around denver and know the county lines. The day before New Years Eve I was taking my wife and her friends to the Fillmore in Denver for a show. After dropping them off and just turning off of Colfax I was stopped for a tail light out. I informed the officer that I was armed and he then asked me to step out of my Suburban. I told him I was open carry and asked if I could secure my weapon before exiting and he said no. I then asked if he could please call a supervisor to respond and he agreed. We had a short conversation while waiting and when the supervisor arrived, the officer spoke with him and then came over to my truck and asked a few quick questions and sent me on my way with a warning for the tail light and a have a good night. I cant say for sure, but had I exited my truck, I could have been charged for OC in Denver City limits! Just be smart and you should do fine! Good luck with your first OC if you decide to.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Not too bad of a drive, about an hour for me. I might be able to make it.

I've actually never been to a Village Inn, but I've heard good things. What time were you thinking?

desettle

imported post

Suburban78 wrote:
scubabeme wrote:

I CC all the time, and my holster is an IWB (Crossbreed Supertuck). Really comfortable for CC, but not a typical OC style; looks a lot like I just stuck my weapon in my pants. I also have an el cheapo nylon paddle holster that I just got to get used to the weight on my belt while around the house pre-CHP (and trying to decide on what carry holster to try first), but it, too, isn't one to impress anyone that observes it enough to think I'm "serious" about it.

Oh, and my wife gives me the "evil eye" whenever I suggest that I might OC, even though she, too, really is "gun friendly" andhas a CHP. She's bought into the "it'll get get you arrested on a felony charge for brandishing" line we were fed during our CHP training, and really wouldn't like the potential "attention" it mightdraw.
I'm still new to open carry and have OC every day for the last few months and have had only three questions from civilians. Being knowledgeable about the laws and polite have led to those three encounters being positive for the other party and myself! I have been in line at the gas station with an officer behind me and nothing more then a comment on my holster and my 6906! Now do be careful around denver and know the county lines. The day before New Years Eve I was taking my wife and her friends to the Fillmore in Denver for a show. After dropping them off and just turning off of Colfax I was stopped for a tail light out. I informed the officer that I was armed and he then asked me to step out of my Suburban. I told him I was open carry and asked if I could secure my weapon before exiting and he said no. I then asked if he could please call a supervisor to respond and he agreed. We had a short conversation while waiting and when the supervisor arrived, the officer spoke with him and then came over to my truck and asked a few quick questions and sent me on my way with a warning for the tail light and a have a good night. I cant say for sure, but had I exited my truck, I could have been charged for OC in Denver City limits! Just be smart and you should do fine! Good luck with your first OC if you decide to.

Suburban, I'm glad things worked out ok on that traffic stop. That was good thinking on your part.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Suburban78 wrote:
I'm still new to open carry and have OC every day for the last few months and have had only three questions from civilians. Being knowledgeable about the laws and polite have led to those three encounters being positive for the other party and myself!
Bingo!

All too often, OCers try to win arguments with the cops, primarily by insisting on each and every right while simultaneously exercising their OC rights.

Not too bright...

It's enough to get through the OC wicket while documenting the other rights violations and documenting them in the appropriate venue, commensurate with the growing history of such violations.

OC encounters, if handled appropriately with LEO officials, should rarely devolve into arrest.

And hopefully, pre-emptive discussions with LEO agencies by properly-informed individuals will result in educational briefings so as to avoid these sorts of undesirable incidents in the first place.

CaveMan

imported post

Hello gentlemen. Can't say for sure yet, but my wife, daughter and I will try to be there again. Had a great time at the last one. I'll try to let you know for sure in a couple weeks.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ian, since you and I both live in the Springs, would you like to carpool? We could meet at the I-25 and Woodman park and drive just SW of Woodman and Mark Dabling. Save gas, good conversation...

bomber

imported post

Suburban78 wrote:
scubabeme wrote:

lucky duck suburban for having such an easy encounter with Denver PD while armed. i heard they can be real a-holes about weapons even though you are legal. way to keep your wits about you.

i dont know if this has been posted before or not, but if you are going to be OC'ing in the metro area, you really should familiarize yourself with this.....

http://www.zipcodesandmore.com/county-map.aspx?county=08031

i live right on the line, so i am constantly referencing that map to see where i can OC and where i cant.