• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

City of Greenfield - This Monday January 18th

ROOK_WI

imported post

Item #5 for Monday evening is "Discussion and decision to adopt an ordinance amending 10.16 (Park Ban) of the Municipal Code, and review of state statutes regarding open carry"

Greenfield City Hall, Room 100, 6:30pm

7325 West Forest Home Avenue (Forest Home Ave. & Coldspring Road).

If you love your guns and want to protect your rights, you need to attend.

See you there.

icepik

imported post

Wish I wasn't going to be in another state next week...lol

If the travel plans fall through, I'll be there, otherwise I hope others make it there!

Jason

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I shoudl be able to make it, please post the ordinance in its entirety in the case we may speak. I have been fighting the county ordinance, that is carrying of a firearm in a milwaukee county park and I have helped defeat the south milwaukee ordinance as well by talking to the city attorney.

66.0409. Local regulation of firearms.
(1) In this section:
(a) "Firearm" has the meaning given in s.
167.31 (1) (c).
(b) "Political subdivision" means a city,
village, town or [highlight= #ff8888]county.

(c) "Sport shooting range" means an area designed and operated for the practice of weapons used in hunting, skeet shooting and similar sport shooting.
(2) Except as provided in subs. (3) and (4), no political subdivision may enact an ordinance or adopt a resolution that regulates the sale, purchase, purchase delay, transfer, ownership, use, keeping, possession, bearing, transportation, licensing, permitting, registration or taxation of any firearm or part of a firearm, including ammunition and reloader components, unless the ordinance or resolution is the same as or similar to, and no more stringent than, a state statute.
(3)(a) Nothing in this section prohibits a [highlight= #ff8888]county from imposing a sales tax or use tax under subchapter V of chapter 77 on any firearm or part of a firearm, including ammunition and reloader components, sold in the [highlight= #ff8888]county.
(b) Nothing in this section prohibits a city, village or town that is authorized to exercise village powers under s. 60.22 (3) from enacting an ordinance or adopting a resolution that restricts the discharge of a firearm.
(4)(a) Nothing in this section prohibits a political subdivision from continuing to enforce an ordinance or resolution that is in effect on November 18, 1995, and that regulates the sale, purchase, transfer, ownership, use, keeping, possession, bearing, if the ordinance or resolution is the same as or similar to, and no more stringent than, a state statute. transportation, licensing, permitting, registration or taxation of any firearm or part of a firearm, including ammunition and reloader components,
(am) Nothing in this section prohibits a political subdivision from continuing to enforce until November 30, 1998, an ordinance or resolution that is in effect on November 18, 1995, and that requires a waiting period of not more than 7 days for the purchase of a handgun.
(b) If a political subdivision has in effect on November 17, 1995, an ordinance or resolution that regulates the sale, purchase, transfer, ownership, use, keeping, possession, bearing, transportation, licensing, permitting, registration or
taxation of any firearm or part of a firearm, including ammunition and reloader components, and the ordinance or resolution is not the same as or similar to a state statute, the ordinance or resolution shall have no legal effect and the political subdivision may not enforce the ordinance or resolution on or after November 18, 1995.
(c) Nothing in this section prohibits a political subdivision from enacting and enforcing a zoning ordinance that regulates the new construction of a sport shooting range or when the expansion of an existing sport shooting range would impact public health and safety.
(5) A [highlight= #ff8888]county ordinance that is enacted or a [highlight= #ff8888]county resolution that is adopted by a [highlight= #ff8888]county under sub. (2) or a [highlight= #ff8888]county ordinance or resolution that remains in effect under sub. (4) (a) or (am) applies only in those towns in the [highlight= #ff8888]county that have not enacted an ordinance or adopted a resolution under sub. (2) or that continue to enforce an ordinance or resolution under sub. (4) (a) or (am), except that this subsection does not apply to a sales or use tax that is imposed under subchapter V of chapter 77.

[highlight= #ff88ff]Milwaukee [highlight= #ff8888]county ordinance 47.05

Use of firearms and fireworks; hunting with bow and arrow; trapping. No person shall [highlight= #88ffff]carry, fire or discharge any gun, pistol or firearm, nor any rocket, torpedo or other fireworks of any description, nor shall any person engage in trapping within any park or parkway without a written permit of the department of [highlight= #8888ff]parks, recreation and culture; nor shall any person hunt with bow and arrow within any park or parkway. No person shall [highlight= #88ffff]carry, fire or discharge any gun, pistol or firearm, nor any rocket, torpedo or other fireworks of any description upon any premises owed or leased by [highlight= #ff88ff]Milwaukee [highlight= #ff8888]County which is not part of the [highlight= #ff8888]county [highlight= #8888ff]parks and parkways. The word "gun" shall include airgun.

Now some people say that it is similar to the state park statute but in fact it is way more restrictive. You can't possess a gun at all in a [highlight= #ff8888]county park, which is a total gun ban while the state park statute states you may [highlight= #88ffff]carry a gun ANYTIME as long as it is unloaded and encased. Also there is a huge difference between [highlight= #ff8888]county and state [highlight= #8888ff]parks!! Not to mention we have 99 state [highlight= #8888ff]parks and 120 or so M. CTY [highlight= #8888ff]parks.

Here is the state park statute
29.089(2)
(3)'] no person may have in his or her possession or under his or her control a firearm on land located in state [highlight= #8888ff]parks or state fish hatcheries unless the firearm is unloaded and enclosed within a carrying case.

Any plans for afterwards? ;)

ROOK_WI

imported post

Everyone on the Common Council & Legislative committee is well aware of their city ordinances and66.0409 - I had materials printed up and bound for every oneback in November. I waspleased to watch them amend language in December that no longerprohibits open carry within the City of Greenfield.I'm hoping for the same with the City ofGreenfield Park Ban.

ROOK_WI

imported post

BJA wrote:
I should be able to make it, please post the ordinance in its entirety in the case we may speak.
Greenfield adopted the Milwaukee County Parks ordinance 47.05 word for word. It is identical to the county ordinance. If you are familiar with Milwaukee County's then you already know Greenfield's.