Thread: Question on where a CPL holder can carry.

Post imported post

I have a Big Dilemma here.

I know someone that works atA Retirment Center, And was wondering if the said person can carry into there? The person is a Valid CPL Holder, But I am thinking that the said person CAN carry into there. But the Person that works there, Is saying that they dont think they can. The reason the said person is concerned is because, There IS a Day Care Center in the Building, But the person DOSEN`t Work in the Day Care Center, They are in theFood ServingArea. So if someone can help me out I would greatly apperciate it.

Post imported post

there's a daycare in the building....its a NO go!

Post imported post

I thought a CPL holder could carry around thePremises of a School, Day Care Facility, Just CAN`T go into the School, Day Care Center, ETC

Post imported post

its in the same building it still counts, but you can open carry
    there may also be something in the policy that workers cant carry.

Post imported post

I was talking to the person, And saw the HandBook. There was noting about a Weapons Policy, So I was taking the best out of it.

Post imported post

I'm not a lawyer, but my take on it is this. If the same owner owns and operates both businesses on the same property, and its run by the same people working for the same one company, I would suggest not CCing anywhere on the premises but the parking lot. But if on the other hand its a separate business, like a post office at a Kroger, then I would CC everywhere there other than in the day care itself, which would require OCing.

It is kind of a gray area. Even Dean Greenblatt at my CPL class suggested caution around properties that share space with a CEZ.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Depends on if it is a state certified daycare center. If it is just for those that work in the building and have no other place for their children while they work then it is different.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

I would just OC because it would make sure you were fully compliant. The worst they could do was then ask you to leave.

Banned

Post imported post

A retirement home could be portrayed as a hospital, as it is giving 24 hour care. Daycare or no daycare, this would require OC only with a CPL.

Correct me if Im wrong.

Post imported post

I dont know if anyone is Right, or Wrong. That is the reason I am asking.

Post imported post

No it could NOT be portrayed as a hospital BC in order to be a hospital you have to be certified as such by the state.

Nursing homes and all types of assisted living places also have to be certified by the state.

IE they are all licensed. And as nursing homes are not mentioned in the CPL statute then they are not a CEZ by statute.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

OK, Now that half of the question is taken care of. Is a CPL Holder able to carry into the Retierment Center, With there being a Day Care Center within that Building? I know you cant carry into a Day Care Center even if you do hold a CPL, But that person wouldn`t be going dirrectly into that area, They do have a door seperating the Retirement center and the Day Care Center. But that is a tough call there.

Post imported post

First you would need to know if the daycare center is licensed and considered a daycare center by the state..

As for the retirement center it is NOT a CEZ by statute.

If a person is employed there however it is possible that there might be a rule against carry for employees.

Post imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
    First you would need to know if the daycare center is licensed and considered a daycare center by the state..

As for the retirement center it is NOT a CEZ by statute.

If a person is employed there however it is possible that there might be a rule against carry for employees.

I will have to find out from the person tomorrow. I am going to go out to the Pistol Range tomorrow, And we will be together So I am going to have to ask em that. The person already told, and showed me the Handbook of the Policies of the place. And nothing was in there about Weapons, So It is going to come down to the DCC being state licensed.

Banned

Post imported post

Perhaps you should bring in a firearms attorney to work out the specifics.

I suppose you could look at things like this in this way; If we, as gun owners who conscientiously try to study these laws arent sure about a given situation, then I suppose it logical that a LEO might have a similar level of uncertainty of the said scenario. The LEO has the option to arrest, detain, or ticket an individual and let the courts figure the details out.

It is our place as activists to explore these issues, and educate about the laws and to try to make change happen in lives and in laws.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
    Perhaps you should bring in a firearms attorney to work out the specifics.

I suppose you could look at things like this in this way; If we, as gun owners who conscientiously try to study these laws arent sure about a given situation, then I suppose it logical that a LEO might have a similar level of uncertainty of the said scenario. The LEO has the option to arrest, detain, or ticket an individual and let the courts figure the details out.

It is our place as activists to explore these issues, and educate about the laws and to try to make change happen in lives and in laws.
    You could ask an attorney but we found they often advise on the conservative side and will say leave it in car if in doubt. They don't want to give advise if it might come back to haunt them.

An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Banned

Post imported post

I think youre right now that you mension it, Ive run into that myself.