• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question on where a CPL holder can carry.

wally1120

imported post

I have a Big Dilemma here.

I know someone that works atA Retirment Center, And was wondering if the said person can carry into there? The person is a Valid CPL Holder, But I am thinking that the said person CAN carry into there. But the Person that works there, Is saying that they dont think they can. The reason the said person is concerned is because, There IS a Day Care Center in the Building, But the person DOSEN`t Work in the Day Care Center, They are in theFood ServingArea. So if someone can help me out I would greatly apperciate it.

joe_robi

imported post

its in the same building it still counts, but you can open carry:D
there may also be something in the policy that workers cant carry.

Michigander

imported post

I'm not a lawyer, but my take on it is this. If the same owner owns and operates both businesses on the same property, and its run by the same people working for the same one company, I would suggest not CCing anywhere on the premises but the parking lot. But if on the other hand its a separate business, like a post office at a Kroger, then I would CC everywhere there other than in the day care itself, which would require OCing.

It is kind of a gray area. Even Dean Greenblatt at my CPL class suggested caution around properties that share space with a CEZ.

autosurgeon

imported post

No it could NOT be portrayed as a hospital BC in order to be a hospital you have to be certified as such by the state.

Nursing homes and all types of assisted living places also have to be certified by the state.

IE they are all licensed. And as nursing homes are not mentioned in the CPL statute then they are not a CEZ by statute.

wally1120

imported post

OK, Now that half of the question is taken care of. Is a CPL Holder able to carry into the Retierment Center, With there being a Day Care Center within that Building? I know you cant carry into a Day Care Center even if you do hold a CPL, But that person wouldn`t be going dirrectly into that area, They do have a door seperating the Retirement center and the Day Care Center. But that is a tough call there.

autosurgeon

imported post

First you would need to know if the daycare center is licensed and considered a daycare center by the state..

As for the retirement center it is NOT a CEZ by statute.

If a person is employed there however it is possible that there might be a rule against carry for employees.

wally1120

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
First you would need to know if the daycare center is licensed and considered a daycare center by the state..

As for the retirement center it is NOT a CEZ by statute.

If a person is employed there however it is possible that there might be a rule against carry for employees.
I will have to find out from the person tomorrow. I am going to go out to the Pistol Range tomorrow, And we will be together So I am going to have to ask em that. The person already told, and showed me the Handbook of the Policies of the place. And nothing was in there about Weapons, So It is going to come down to the DCC being state licensed.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Perhaps you should bring in a firearms attorney to work out the specifics.

I suppose you could look at things like this in this way; If we, as gun owners who conscientiously try to study these laws arent sure about a given situation, then I suppose it logical that a LEO might have a similar level of uncertainty of the said scenario. The LEO has the option to arrest, detain, or ticket an individual and let the courts figure the details out.

It is our place as activists to explore these issues, and educate about the laws and to try to make change happen in lives and in laws.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
Perhaps you should bring in a firearms attorney to work out the specifics.

I suppose you could look at things like this in this way; If we, as gun owners who conscientiously try to study these laws arent sure about a given situation, then I suppose it logical that a LEO might have a similar level of uncertainty of the said scenario. The LEO has the option to arrest, detain, or ticket an individual and let the courts figure the details out.

It is our place as activists to explore these issues, and educate about the laws and to try to make change happen in lives and in laws.
You could ask an attorney but we found they often advise on the conservative side and will say leave it in car if in doubt. They don't want to give advise if it might come back to haunt them.