• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What's the Big Deal?

bryanarthur

imported post

I am new to opencarry.org, but not to UOC. I UOC in Alameda County all of the time. As long as you stay 1,000 ft away from schools and know your area, you should have no problem. The only problems i've had is getting the locations on private schools, as they are also restricted. any comments?

yelohamr

imported post

Welcome. You have the most important thing needed, be aware of where you are. I know my area very well and I UOC all the time. The stores I go to, all of the employees are used to seeing me armed.

One day when it rained, I didn't OC. I was at the grocery store and the cashier asked me where my gun was. Of all the places I UOC, no on has freaked out or seen a need for “hypervigilant urgency” .

coolusername2007

imported post

Welcome to the forum.Excellent question actually. UOC isn't any big deal at all. But there are those who believe that by doing what is legal you will make it illegal. They call themselves "the right people" and they can be found over at calguns.

Gundude

imported post

I binged hyperviligance.....

Hypervigilance is an enhanced state of sensory sensitivity accompanied by an exaggerated intensity of behaviors whose purpose is to detect threats. Hypervigilance is also accompanied by a state of increased anxiety which can cause exhaustion. Other symptoms include: abnormally increased arousal, a high responsiveness to stimuli and a constant scanning of the environment for threats.[1][/suP] Hypervigilance can be a symptom of posttraumatic stress disorder[2][/suP] or various types of anxiety disorder.

Abnormal increased arousal...is that like "blue steel"?

mjones

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
Welcome to the forum.Excellent question actually. UOC isn't any big deal at all. But there are those who believe that by doing what is legal you will make it illegal. They call themselves "the right people" and they can be found over at calguns.

If anyone involved in the standown does so for the reasons stated above, they are an idiot.

The stand down is about timing and planning. The logical legislative reprocussions over OC today are greater then the will be post 2A incorporation.

Maybe its not as evident as it once was, but 99% of the CA Members of OCDO that have been here for a couple years or more are in full support of the standdown. The standdown was most certainly innitiated by the CalGuns Foundation (you know, that group that has done more for gun rights in CA in the last few years then ANY other group http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/component/content/article/79-what-has-cgf-done-for-me-lately ) but it was also embraced here in the CA section at OCDO.

coolusername2007

imported post

mjones wrote:
If anyone involved in the standown does so for the reasons stated above, they are an idiot.

The stand down is about timing and planning. The logical legislative reprocussions over OC today are greater then the will be post 2A incorporation.

Maybe its not as evident as it once was, but 99% of the CA Members of OCDO that have been here for a couple years or more are in full support of the standdown. The standdown was most certainly innitiated by the CalGuns Foundation (you know, that group that has done more for gun rights in CA in the last few years then ANY other group http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/component/content/article/79-what-has-cgf-done-for-me-lately ) but it was also embraced here in the CA section at OCDO.

The reasons stated are what's being purported. Legislative reprocussions are always a reality, regardless of 2A incorporation. Just like post 4A incorporation (Mapp v Ohio, 1961)and the Mulford Act (1967).

It matters not how many have decided to stand down. That'stheir personal decision, for their personal reasons. The right to keep and bear arms is an individual right. And individually we each will choose. Regardless, I look forward to post 2A incorporation when our brethren will once again join us in our lawful open carry events.

By the way, there was a very brieftime period after Nordyke incorporated 2A tothe PRK, but before the en banc ruling. If anyone finds the proclamation from the right people during that time period giving the green light to UOC let me know. Because I looked and couldn't find it. I wonder why?

Army

imported post

Despite my recent dance with the LAPD, I too will stand down.

I will still carry while hiking and camping of course, but my daily carry will wait for SCOTUS decisions.

You must believe that we can not make any more waves. I have been privileged with the "inside scoop" pertaining to the immediate legal ramifications currently being discussed at state levels. The "right people" know the who's and what's of this situation, and fear for our Constitutional rights that face the possibility of sanction.

For the good of all....hold off on UOC for now. It's a headache we cannot afford at this time.

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

mjones wrote:
[SNIP]The stand-down was most certainly innitiated by the CalGuns Foundation...but it was also embraced here in the CA section at OCDO.
I think you should speak for yourself and not for the entire CA section at OCDO, because what you purport is simply not true. I would venture to say many here do not embrace a stand-down.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Yep and because OpsMarine was UOC'ing it appeared to have stopped what could have been bodily harm to someone.

I still don't get why the reason to stand down is only known to a few "select" individuals.

I too hope for incorporation bologne ( we all know all the ammendments are the supreme law of the land), that way it can be put to rest and those who are afraid open carrying not only in California but Hawaii (hopefully) Illinoise, D.C. and others can join us in this wonderful freedom.

bryanarthur

imported post

Thanks for the replies. After reading some of the post, I was apprehensive of people replying with sarcastic comments. I think it is absolutley awesome that we are all together supporting our rights.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Army wrote:

I will still carry while hiking and camping of course, but my daily carry will wait for SCOTUS decisions.

You must believe that we can not make any more waves. I have been privileged with the "inside scoop" pertaining to the immediate legal ramifications currently being discussed at state levels. The "right people" know the who's and what's of this situation, and fear for our Constitutional rights that face the possibility of sanction.

For the good of all....hold off on UOC for now. It's a headache we cannot afford at this time.
The waves will never subside enough not to have an impact. Think of law-abiding gun owners as the moon, and the legislature as LuthorCorp, trying to erect a massive concrete sea wall blocking off every mile of coastline, so no more beaches, no more surfing, etc...

Even if all UOCers committed suicide tomorrow, the legislature would still be raping law-abiding gun owners, with impunity, and without remorse.

They won't stop until every last gun owner is utterly destroyed (murdered, or imprisoned). But you can't destroy the moon, or the effects it has on the earth.

coolusername2007

imported post

Army wrote:

If your "inside scoop" was the same "inside scoop" that I got, please re-read my post and take special note of the dates. 2A incorporation won't mean a thing to the PRK's legislators. Besides, a good UOC ambassador never makes waves, he/she just goes about his/her lawful business.

pullnshoot25

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
You are willfully overlooking some very important facts on this matter. I have spent a pretty good block of time educating people on all aspects of the OC movement/situation and it seems that a very important part of it has fallen upon either deaf ears or ignorant minds.

pullnshoot25

imported post

Army wrote:

Get any better at dancing there and you might have to go on "Dancing with the Stars" ;)

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

yelohamr wrote:
One day when it rained, I didn't OC. I was at the grocery store and the cashier asked me where my gun was.
That's priceless! I frequent a store and have gotten to know the folks who're they're shortly before closing. They know I often carry, but asked why I don't carry to their store (it's only a block from home), and said my response was weak! They're right.

I then asked why they don't carry, and they responded, "it's against corporate policy."

I think part of their concern involves the recent doubling of armed robberies in the Springs area.

So, from now on, I'll be carrying OC in their store, and will take the time to say hello and shoot the breeze with them as I always do.

SOneThreeCoupe

imported post

We mustn't lose sight of who the true villains are in this instance: the government.

LOCers, UOCers, CCWers, LUCCers etc. are not our enemies. The moment we have freedom-loving individuals in our sights is the moment we deserve to lose our rights.

No groups are to be blamed but those supporting the lawmakers' restricting of our rights, and the lawmakers themselves.

We have suffered enough destruction of rights; it is time to begin taking them back.

Do not support Calguns; they are not free. They are shackled men speaking of freedom but cowering from the State, blaming those who are blameless and ignoring the true problem.