• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who would I contact to try and get the Michigan Gun Laws Changed?

wally1120

imported post

I was looking at other State Gun Laws, And not having a CPL makes it hard to carry a Gun. But anyway, There are other States that have a little bit more laxed rules about Guns. How would I go about trying to get something in effect to lighten the Gun Laws? I have taken the CPL Class already, But still have to wait a few Months to go Apply at the County Clerks Office, Prints, ETC. But is there a way I can try to get the Michigan Law not to be so stricked on Guns? It would cost a LOT less for People to Renew, Apply for the CPL`s, And I am ready to take ALOT of time to get the Laws changed if I have to.

Yooper

imported post

First thing is we need to VOTE pro-gun representatives into office, as well as a pro-gun governor.

Once they are in place, we need to call/write/email them letting them know that we want the laws changed.

I agree with you, many states have much more relaxed laws than what Michigan has.
I know in Colorado, in addition to open carry, you can carry open or concealed in a car without a permit, as well as concealed when you're hunting. Rifles/shotguns may be carried anywhere in a car as long as there is no round in the CHAMBER. There's no purchase permit, or registration of any kind.

Bronson

imported post

wally1120 wrote:
It would cost a LOT less for People to Renew, Apply for the CPL`s.
Which is why it'll be a fight to get it changed. The system as it stands now makes money and money drives the system.

The catch 22 of the whole thing is that since OC satisfies the MI constitution's guarantee ofthe right to keep and bear for self defense, the state can charge as much as it wants for the privilege of CCing because it is not infringing on our rights since we can always open carry for free.

Bronson

wally1120

imported post

Please quit refering to my Mom Doug, I am trying to be nice here. So please lets just Quit? Also I was looking at Alaska, And a few other State Laws that dont require you to have a CPL. And I was thinking I want to have laws like that, But it would take alot to get that changed, If possible. And I know I would have to Contact ALOT of people, But who exactly would I have to get ahold of, To talk to about changing the Laws? The Regrestration would be a Bonus to get rid of, But I am more concerned about, Not having to Obtain a CPL.

OC4me

imported post

Join MCRGO (Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners) and get active! Convince them to seek to change the law the way you see fit and then you are halfway there! They have all the political connections and cloutin Lansing.

www.mcrgo.org

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

wally1120 wrote:
DOUG, LET IT GO MAN. LETS TRY NOT TO FIGHT ON OCDO.

I'm not fighting, Zig asked, I answered.

I'll let it go if you promise to NEVER bring it up again, I'll even be nice and not demand an apology from your mom for implying that I'm a scammer.

So, do you promise?

P.S. and stop typing in all caps, it makes you look stupid.

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

Bronson wrote:
wally1120 wrote:
It would cost a LOT less for People to Renew, Apply for the CPL`s.
Which is why it'll be a fight to get it changed. The system as it stands now makes money and money drives the system.

The catch 22 of the whole thing is that since OC satisfies the MI constitution's guarantee ofthe right to keep and bear for self defense, the state can charge as much as it wants for the privilege of CCing because it is not infringing on our rights since we can always open carry for free.

Bronson
Actually for OC tofully satisfy the MI constitution, there would have to be NO RESTRICTIONS WHATSOEVER other than Federal on where and when we can OC. And in order to satisfy the US constitution, there would be no Federal restrictions to begin with.

...and doug makes me chuckle on the inside.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Bronson wrote:

Bronson

As long as I need permission to carry in my car, it is being infringed.

Some might disagree, but I feel asking permission to use my rights in any manner is an infringement.

wally1120

imported post

As long as I need permission to carry in my car, it is being infringed.

Some might disagree, but I feel asking permission to use my rights in any manner is an infringement.
I agree 100% with that, You shouldn`t have to pay to carry a Firearm.

RSF

imported post

Safr is holding a day in lansing on the 20th if i recall to understand how to get these things done and how to find and talk to your local reps etc..... you shouldnt miss it if your serious. its free.........

Ps MCRGO Yah right........

mikestilly

imported post

dougwg wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
dougwg wrote:
Your mommy....she seems like a fighter.

wtf was that about?
http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=75945

All I have to say is after reading this thread and many others there how can anyone on that board be taken seriously. The difference between there and here is like night and day. I've never seen so many rude, childish, elementary school posting on a gun rights board anywhere else. It looks to be par for the course too I brought up a few posts there to get nasty responses on almost every thread.

wally1120

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
dougwg wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
dougwg wrote:
Your mommy....she seems like a fighter.

wtf was that about?
http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=75945

All I have to say is after reading this thread and many others there how can anyone on that board be taken seriously. The difference between there and here is like night and day. I've never seen so many rude, childish, elementary school posting on a gun rights board anywhere else. It looks to be par for the course too I brought up a few posts there to get nasty responses on almost every thread.
I had no plans on starting a fight over this Topic, SO WE REALLY DONT NEED TO GO THERE. I am trying to get the Firearm Laws changed so it helps everyone out, And saves a lot of Hassle, and Money for people that do carry a Firearm. So we dont even need to start a fight about something else on here, So lets try and not to fight about this one?