• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Picked up a CCP app...What is next?

jessica2886

imported post

First, I would like to say hello to you all.

"Hello"... lol

Now, with that over, let me tell everyone about myself:

I was raised on a military base, my father being anow retired Marine. My brother was the one originally interested in guns and artillary to boot, and I hated hearing him yacking on and on about 'this and that', and what kind of damage 'this and that could do'. (He was more of a chatter than I!)

Since moving off base and living in the civilian world, I have come to realize the importance of gun safetyand the protection of person and property. Subsequently, I have considered going into business that would put me in many situations, all of them possibly putting me in danger of bodily harm. (Delivering groceries, making beer runs for profit.)

Not only would it be for personal protection, but I am incredibly delighted at the prospects of beating the crap out of my brother at a shooting range! lol

Hereare my questions for those of you who may answer in regards to NC law, in particular, Onslow County:

What do I do next? Where can I go for the safety classes and does anyone have a favorite shooting range?

Please and thank you,

J

1245A Defender

imported post

you should make a post in jacksonville no. carolina to find some nice OCers to take you shooting...teach you gun safety...learn the local laws...try out some different firearms...get local..make some friends.....get your concealed permit application in, pay your fees for your 2A right to carry.

id like to show you myself but its quite a drive!

jessica2886

imported post

[align=left]What parts are coming in? My basic questions were: What do I do now that I have picked up the application; does anyone from Onslow, NC know of anywhere that would be great to go shooting and provides educational courses in gun safety?[/align]

[align=left]The answer was provided by the gentleman below your post, and I thank him for it. I will navigate my way through to the NC OCers pages. Thank you very much for your help, have a nice day.[/align]

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

jessica2886 wrote:
SNIP What do I do next?...
Based on the thread title, I would have said, "Fill out the application." But, that's just me. :):p

(Sorry, Jessica. I couldn't resist.)

Welcome to Open Carry.org!!

buzzsaw

imported post

Welcome to open carry. Since I didn't see a repost in the NC thread I can offer some additional information to answer your question. I know of two commercial ranges in Onslow Co. Sportsman Lodge, on Hwy 17 just past punkin center on the way toward New Bern and Flatwoods outfitter, a short distance off Hwy 24 on the way to Swansboro. Those should give you excellent starting places. I took a class for CCW at Sportsman Lodge many years ago and am sure it is still available. BTW in case it makes a difference considering the time of year and all this "Global warming" we've been experiencing Sportsman's range is indoor and Flatwoods is all outdoors. We have a number of people devoted to open carry here and I'm sure many will be glad to help in any way they can. Once again, welcome.

jessica2886

imported post

Based on the thread title, I would have said, "Fill out the application." But, that's just me. :):p

(Sorry, Jessica. I couldn't resist.)

One word: turd. lol I am kidding, I would have said the same. Lately, I have been having those :banghead:"Duh" moments. And I am a smart butt by nature, lol. And thank you for the welcome :)

To Buzzsaw: Thank you very much for the information! My brother goes out to Sportsman's Lodge very seldom, so I have heard snippets about it when I am around him (also, very seldom). Tonight, I went to the Magistrate's office (got the run around from the Sheriff's overnight office) and he was kind enough to Xerox me the G.S. 14-415.10. It cites other portions of G.S., so I will print those off tonight. I had dined out at The Kettle tonight, and saw their sign posted about no concealed weapons. I figured, "Wait, can they do that?"

I certainly plan on getting brushed up on the law for these parts, and I was wondering also: Does Federal law supercede State law?

Thank you very much, and have a good night :)

J

buzzsaw

imported post

That is kind of the same reaction I had from the sheriff. Leads me to believe he isn't too much in favor of the citizens being able to carry. As for the Kettle, yea they can do that as can any other business that wishes to put up their little sign. Look carefully when/if you go to the mall. It has been posted since the law went into effect (which is about the same time as I spent the last penny of mine that I ever will in there). Open carry is soo much easier. Don't need to spend all that money on the class and don't need anybody's permission. Still a good idea to get in a safety class and by all means be aware of where you can and can't carry.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I will preface this with stating that I know nothing about Onslow county and I have never even been there. Getting the application now is fine. Every county's sheriff has their own ways of issuing CCP's but they have been mostly brought inline across the board, being that they can't really discriminate against any person that meets the state's requirements. Some counties will issue after or close to the full 90 day waiting period and others have issued them as early as a couple of weeks. It depends on the county, who is issuing the CCP's at that time, and who is applying for it. Before you can apply, you must have completed the course and qualification.

Find a local shooting range or gun store, they'll know where you can go (if not at one of those places) to sign up for a class.

You'll have to do a qualification, shooting 50 rounds in the standard silhouette target at 7 yards. I can't remember (strange, I took the class back in November of 2009) but I think you must qualify 40 of 50 or 45 of 50 rounds with in the outer most circle. Either way, take your time shooting the qualification, it is not difficult. Consider using a .22LR caliber pistol, worry about shooting a larger caliber later for what you intend to carry; right now, you just need to qualify and take the class. Some classes will require you to qualify prior to the class and others after (and some either way).

One place to check is the local Gander Mountain, if there is one there. Where I live, they were tied in with an indoor shooting range that actually taught the class at the Gander Mountain class room.

Once you've completed the course and received your certificate, you should be given instructions on what to do and what you'll need to know (such as the instructors name, what was covered in the class, how long it took, etc, etc.

It is typically an 8 hour class, with some boring, sappy, and cheesy videos but they are extremely informative and eye opening (especially when discussing North Carolina's gun laws and laws on how and when you can use deadly force to protect yourself).

By the way, Hello, and welcome to the Open Carry Dot Org forum.

CarryOpen

imported post

Jessica - I shoot at the Sportsman's Lodge on 17 past Moore Buick. They offer a women's only shooting class for $20 taught with 22s and they provide everything. At least they did the last time I brought my wife there.

Eastern Outfitters does concealed carry courses, I don't know what they chage though. The concealed carry course is considered a "safety course" as well, but it deals a lot more with deadly force etc.

Added - I did my CC course elsewhere privately, so that's why I don't know about EO's pricing.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

jessica2886 wrote:
What parts are coming in? My basic questions were: What do I do now that I have picked up the application; does anyone from Onslow, NC know of anywhere that would be great to go shooting and provides educational courses in gun safety?

Ah... disregard previous transmission...

I'm sorry for that response - your original message was quite clear.

I lived in Fayetteville NC for a while (5 years), but left in late 1999. I owned weapons at the time, but never open carried, and didn't get a CWP because the money-grubbing state insisted my military firearms training "did not meet state requirements."

I took that to mean their requirements involved lining Bubba's pocket's.

Has the situation changed? I hope so, but I don't know.

First stop: http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf Know them well! Violate them in any manner, and sooner or later, someone will hold you liable.

Second stop: This forum's NC section, as previously mentioned, especially for the shooting range and training course info.

Third stop: If you want a CWP: http://www.ehow.com/how_2061101_get-permit-carry-concealed-weapon.html

Best wishes!