• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Advice for Washington resident to get an oregon permit

Brandnew

imported post

My family lives in Beaverton so I had good luck in Washington County Sheriff's office located in Hillsboro. I've heard that many people have had good experiences with Multnomah County also.

Go to one of their websites, download the form and fill it out. When you get to the part about providing good reason, provide anything that applies to your situation. Self defense is good, but if you have business interests in Oregon, or if you have multiple family members in Oregon, or need to travel between maybe more sketchy parts of town late at night, these are all applicable reasons. It probably also doesn't hurt to mention that you take safety very seriously, etc.

Oregon requires that you show up to apply for or change any details on your permit. They also require that you've taken a pistol safety course, such as basic pistol from the NRA and display proof of this course on application.

And don't forget to read up on Oregon's laws regarding CHL, while they're similar to Wasington's, they're not all the same and it would behoove you to know exactly what you can and can't do.

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

kparker wrote:
The Utah class is classroom only (at least that's the state requirement) so it doesn't qualify for Oregon requirement.

I did a combination Utah/Oregon class in Portland. Range time is not required for either, but demonstration of safe handling is required for Oregon.

Charles

Cremator75

imported post

kparker wrote:
The Utah class is classroom only (at least that's the state requirement) so it doesn't qualify for Oregon requirement.
Classroom certificate is the only requirement in OR. No range or gun handling time needed. It's ALMOST as easy as WA. A class that is for OR/UT will be good enough.

kparker

imported post

OK, thanks for the clarification. I was just misremembering (based on my qualification being various NRA and FAS courses) that OR had an actual range requirement, rather than a safe-handling requirement similar to UT. Sorry to misdirect you.

Lammo

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
Both Utah and Oregon Classes coming up at Cabelas, check the website.
The guy that teaches the Utah classes being offered at Cabelas is actually from Oregon and is certified to teach for both. When I took the Utah class in PF, ID, back in October he tacked Oregon on to the end and it took an additional 20 minutes or so. Check out his website: http://www.cfputah.com/