• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any 9mm make strong enough for +p+ ?

mel5051

imported post

Actually after logging in to the Walther Forum and StoppingPower.net I now also carry Cor-Bon DPX and the +P Ranger T's.

I gave the Ranger +P+'s to my son.

I also installed the DPM Recoil Spring System in my Walther P99 AS 9mm to lessen the wear on the slide and internal parts.

Mel

CarryOpen

imported post

I don't know about +P+, but I really don't feel much recoil difference between standard and +P ammo in my 9mm. You have to really "look" for it. The only way I can tell is that it changes the rhythm of fire - reinforcing for me that you should should ammo that acts like what you carry.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I...yeeeah, ihhh...

As a former engineer, the difference between perfectly safe pressures and recoils and extremely dangerous (i.e. catastrophic) pressures and recoils is minimal, and you can often have catastrophic failures with less recoil than you can have perfectly safe departures.

Adhere to your firearms' manufacturer's instructions! If it doesn't say it's ok for +P or +P+, please, for your sake and that of your eyesight, fingers, etc, do NOT use it.

You may very well get away with it for a few hundred or even a thousand times! However, failure modes are usually measured in 100,000 life cycles, and that's not with a 100% success rate (more like 90 to95 %)

Therefore, you can easily exceed 100k rounds using normal 9mm ammo, while you may never discover your non +P or +P+ rated weapon really wasn't designed to handle those pressures until your 23,463rd when you chose to loose an eye and two fingers.

If you want to shoot +P or +P+ ammo, buy a weapon specifically rated for it.

This isn't like overclocking motherboards, people. Grab a clue. Please

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm having a difficult time trying to figure out of my CZ 85 B is +P rated or not. The manual says nothing about it, but several websites listing it claim it is, and one claims it's +P+.

I'm certainly not going to find out the hard way!

For all the hype, I'm unconvinced +P or +P+ is worth it. I've shot both, and handling the weapon for rapid fire (double-tap) with any accuracy becomes noticeably more difficult. For all the pressure, I've not seen subtantially greater ballistics. I suppose if you know you'll only get one shot, it might be worth it to make that shot count. But I'd rather have better control.

As for plinkin', it's expensive, and causes considerably more wear per round. At most, though, I'll go through about a thousand rounds a year for target practice.

gunrunner1911

imported post

I would have to say that the Isreali Baby Eagles should be able to handle it considering the all steel heavy duty design. I'd look to those types. Felt recoil should be reduced when compared to lighter guns. ditto on EAA Witness steel frames.

After years of using Federal Hydra Shok 230gr in my small 1911s I have dropped to there low recoil offerings because it's more important to get back to the target and follow up more accurately than to try to hit em with the "hay maker" the first time.

Bailenforcer

imported post

mel5051 wrote:
This may be somewhere on here already. Are there any currently made 9mm's that do not carry the warning 'not to be used with +P and +P+ ammunition' ?
Yes the Browning does well with +P+ I carry a Browning Practical with a Wolfe gunspring kit in it and it works well with any +P+. Normally I carry Corbon 155 grain HP's in it or my own hotter hand loads.
http://hipowertalk.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2238

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Bailenforcer wrote:
mel5051 wrote:
This may be somewhere on here already. Are there any currently made 9mm's that do not carry the warning 'not to be used with +P and +P+ ammunition' ?
Yes the Browning does well with +P+ I carry a Browning Practical with a Wolfe gunspring kit in it and it works well with any +P+. Normally I carry Corbon 155 grain HP's in it or my own hotter hand loads.
I don't believe Corbon, or anyone else, loads a 155gr 9mm round.

Bailenforcer

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Bailenforcer wrote:
mel5051 wrote:
I don't believe Corbon, or anyone else, loads a 155gr 9mm round.
Yes it was a typo

115 grain JHP sorry.

nomidlname

imported post

Take a look at the Springfield XDm 9mm. I know it can take the +p and I think I recall it approving the +p+. I know the 40's can take the 180grain bullets where as the Glock recommends against it. That little bit of information doesn't help you one bit but it's a fun fact :)I would look it up to confirm but I am at work and the firewall is stopping me.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

nomidlname wrote:
I know the 40's can take the 180grain bullets where as the Glock recommends against it. That little bit of information doesn't help you one bit but it's a fun fact :)I would look it up to confirm but I am at work and the firewall is stopping me.

Please do quote your source when you can. I have never heard this claim from anyone before. Thanks!

-G20

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
nomidlname wrote:
I know the 40's can take the 180grain bullets where as the Glock recommends against it. That little bit of information doesn't help you one bit but it's a fun fact :)I would look it up to confirm but I am at work and the firewall is stopping me.

Please do quote your source when you can. I have never heard this claim from anyone before. Thanks!

-G20
Neither have I. I would be most interested to see the source.

nomidlname

imported post

My friend owns a glock 22 and stated it's in the manual that came with his firearm. He bought it about ten years ago. It may be limited to just this model but I will try to get a copy of the page its on in his manual and post it.

Pretty good deal for me since I got about 400 rounds of 180 grain ammo :)

brokenbarrel

imported post

mel5051 wrote:
hi-point c9 just polish the feed ramp and your good to go i have a hi-point that has never jammed because i read about them first.Bought one polished the ramp out of the box and all is well couple 1000 rounds through it already.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
imported post

mel5051 wrote:
My SR9 does not carry any such warning. The manufacturer clearly states in the manual that it is designed to fire ANY 9x19mmcartridge, including +P & +P+ :)

bomber

imported post

CarryOpen wrote:
Hi-point rates their pistols for +P ammo. There is no SAAMI spec for +P+, so no one officially supports it.
i never hesitate to use +p+ in mine. my hi point chews them up and spits them out.

bomber

imported post

gotm4 wrote:
CarryOpen wrote:
Hi-point rates their pistols for +P ammo. There is no SAAMI spec for +P+, so no one officially supports it.

Just be sure to wear a helmet if shooting +p in a Hi-Point! :what:
why do you say that?

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

nomidlname wrote:

My friend owns a glock 22 and stated it's in the manual that came with his firearm. He bought it about ten years ago. It may be limited to just this model but I will try to get a copy of the page its on in his manual and post it.
Still waiting on that quote. I know of LE departments that issue and/or approve every single .40-caliber GLOCK model (with the exception of the rare G24) and those same departments issue 180grain ammo. In my countless hours on Glocktalk.com over the past 5 years, I have never once come across this claim...

boredstudent

imported post

If you really want more power why not move up to say .40 or .45. better yet .50

Then when you get to the 50 and need more power. +P+ becomes a valid question.

nomidlname

imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
nomidlname wrote:

Still waiting on that quote. I know of LE departments that issue and/or approve every single .40-caliber GLOCK model (with the exception of the rare G24) and those same departments issue 180grain ammo. In my countless hours on Glocktalk.com over the past 5 years, I have never once come across this claim...

I wasn't able to get my friends Manual so I called Glock today to confirm and they said the same thing as you. No such warning. You can use the 180 grain round on the 40 cal Glock. My bad for spreading misinformation before confirming it.

I think the confusion came from him having reloads instead of mfg new rounds. This is what Glock recommends you not use and will void the warranty. I am not sure how he confused reloads with 180 grain ammo but there ya go. I haven't confirmed with all mfgs butGlock and Springfield void warranty if an reloads are used and a catastrophic malfunction occurs. As for the source...

GLOCK
6000 Highlands Parkway
Smyrna, GA 30082
U.S.A.
Tel.: +1 770 - 432 1202
Fax: +1 770 - 433 8719

CarryOpen

imported post

boredstudent wrote:
If you really want more power why not move up to say .40 or .45. better yet .50

Then when you get to the 50 and need more power. +P+ becomes a valid question.
That was a joke right?